Official Review: Kleptomaniac: Who's Really Robbing God A...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Plfern
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Re: Official Review: Kleptomaniac: Who's Really Robbing God A...

Post by Plfern »

Thank you for your review. I don't need a book to tell me what is wrong and what is right about tithing. God's Word guides me in my decisions regarding this matter. Thank you for your review. I believe that I will steer clear of this one though.
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

gen_g wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 11:36 Thanks for the detailed review! This seems like a tricky/somewhat controversial read indeed.
I agree.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 22:06 Wow, a complicated read. Giving freely is a good act and much appreciated by any religion, but comparison between religions just doesn't end in a favourable manner. Thank you for sharing your opinion through your review. It was a very intriguing read.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:35 Whatever makes your heart light is what is right. In my opinion, giving is both a duty and a privilege.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Inday!
I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for dropping by.

P. S.
I wonder why I have no comment box available on your Secret Seasons review. Anyway, I could picture you out rolling your eyeballs on its lack of realism, over spirituality, and editing flaws. 😀
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Nimat87 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 10:42 Great review! Reading this just reminded me of arguments I'd overheard concerning this issue amongst my christian neighbours. While some believed it was just a way of ripping off the congregation, and give their money directly to the poor instead, others felt what the church does with the money shouldn't bother the congregation, since they had done their part by paying and God was witness to this. I do concur that we should thread lightly on the issue of comparing religions here though.
Thanks for commenting. My thoughts on this book's review is within the pages of this book. Other than that, I am expressing my thoughts on my disagreement on it.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

melissy370 wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 19:44 I am interested in reading what the author has to say about tithing. It is my understanding that the 10% tithing came from the interaction between Abraham and Melchizedek in the Old Testament. Since Abe gave his spoils of war (his earned income) to someone more prominent, so should we give our money to God, who is clearly more prominent than us. Thanks Dolor for your candid review
The tithes that Abraham gave to Melchizedek in the Old Testament came from the spoils of war and not from his own possessions. The author clearly explained this in the book.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

SABRADLEY wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 21:41 This book sounds interesting. I am under the impression that people tithe knowing a lot of that covers church costs and sponsorship in charity. The part I've always had an issue with is being told how much to give. It should be private and completely up to an individual to offer what they feel they can, in my opinion. It should never be a deterrent to attending the religious services of their choosing, because what's important is to receive God's message. Thanks for including your own personal thoughts and for the review.
Yes, I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for the respect you've shown on my personal thoughts.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 03:40 This is an interesting read indeed. I don't deny that corruption is possible to happen in churches but so are in many places on the earth! I appreciate your review but comparing religions won't bring any good to everyone. Maybe you don't have intention to debate but your opinion of comparing religions is an invitation to argument. Spread the love, not hatred.

Thank you so much for your review and your lovely recommendation.
Both my agreement and disagreement are relevant to the contents in the book. It will be boring to discuss just a side of the story. On top of that, its also included in the task as a reviewer to present your likes and dislikes on the subjects presented in the book you review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Dolor wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:34
Miriam Molina wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 23:35 Whatever makes your heart light is what is right. In my opinion, giving is both a duty and a privilege.

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for dropping by.

P. S.
I wonder why I have no comment box available on your Secret Seasons review. Anyway, I could picture you out rolling your eyeballs on its lack of realism, over spirituality, and editing flaws. 😀
The author decided to remove it from public scrutiny. Maybe she did not enjoy my sterile comment haha.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 22:39
Dolor wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 20:34

I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for dropping by.

P. S.
The author decided to remove it from public scrutiny. Maybe she did not enjoy my sterile comment haha.
Ah... She wants positive reviews only.
Dolor
Currently Reading:

Post by Dolor »

Plfern wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 15:00 Thank you for your review. I don't need a book to tell me what is wrong and what is right about tithing. God's Word guides me in my decisions regarding this matter. Thank you for your review. I believe that I will steer clear of this one though.
The author is not forcing anyone to read and agree on everything that is presented in this book.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Wow. You tackled a tough one. It sounds like it is well researched and clear. Thanks for the informational review.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I love how honest your review was and that you were respectful and not rude. Charity should be freely given. Money has become a power on its own. People that abuse the power of religion to gain wealth are, in my opinion, some of the worst people. Abusing earnest people who are looking to connect with their faith, any faith, is just so awful.
Really great review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Mary WhiteFace
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

Your review has motivated me to not only read this book, but also to do a little refreshing in the scriptures as well. I agree with what you're saying. "It's not mandated in the scripture anyway. Money tithing was neither practiced by the people in the Old Testament nor stated to be compulsory in the New Testament." I just can't remember how I can back it up and I would like to have a discussion about this with someone.

I'm all for people supporting their place of worship. Yet, it's definitely not scriptural when it's done in a way that makes people feel they will be "punished" if they don't.

I really need to read this book.
My "To Read" shelf is getting pretty full. I like Kindle, but it sure is easier to read multiple books at a time when you can have them sitting around the house with bookmarks in them...lol
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Oh, my! I feel like I´ve been lied to my whole life. I have no problem with charity, and I think giving with the heart should be encouraged, but I´m certainly surprised to discover tithing is not a Biblical thing.
Thanks for a very eye-opening review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”