Official Review: Stepping Up by donalyn Powell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Stepping Up by donalyn Powell

Post by Dael Reader »

Wow. This seems like a powerful book. One that is sadly important with so many hurting people, who need to know they aren't alone, and their families and friends, who need to understand the complex issues and emotions that can lead a person to contemplate suicide. Thank you for sharing this honest, sensitive review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Dael Reader wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 18:40 Wow. This seems like a powerful book. One that is sadly important with so many hurting people, who need to know they aren't alone, and their families and friends, who need to understand the complex issues and emotions that can lead a person to contemplate suicide. Thank you for sharing this honest, sensitive review.
Yes, it is a faith-filled, powerful book combating the darkness that overcomes people when they believe lies about themselves. Thank you for reading my review and commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

Thank you for your detailed review! I especially love that this book also realises the fact that not only depressed and suicidal people suffer; their loved ones do too. I read what you wrote about Carmen cleaning up the scene of her boyfriend’s failed suicide, and just wonder at the myriad of sad thoughts that would have been running around in her head.
DancingLady
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancinglady.html
Latest Review: Believe What You Want To Believe by Alicia Kristine and George Williams

Post by DancingLady »

That is very touching. I wish so much that others in the church would address the issue of abortion this way, with love and compassion. What a beautiful example of how we can minister to people hurting and in crisis.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Supergirl1 wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 01:32 Thank you for your detailed review! I especially love that this book also realises the fact that not only depressed and suicidal people suffer; their loved ones do too. I read what you wrote about Carmen cleaning up the scene of her boyfriend’s failed suicide, and just wonder at the myriad of sad thoughts that would have been running around in her head.
I know! Poor Carmen, wondering what she did or didn't do for her boyfriend to consider suicide. She describes her own feelings very honestly in the letter she wrote. I can't imagine. Thank you for reading my review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

DancingLady wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 13:33 That is very touching. I wish so much that others in the church would address the issue of abortion this way, with love and compassion. What a beautiful example of how we can minister to people hurting and in crisis.
I completely agree! Too often, the church is very judgmental and unforgiving when it comes to certain issues, but upholding God's standards includes showing His love and compassion first and foremost.
Samantha Simoneau

Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Suicide is such a devastating experience. I have known people who have killed themselves and some who have attempted to. Love is always the correct response. I laud the author for her mission. That she has gone through the throes of despair herself carries a powerful message: You can overcome.

Thanks for sharing about this life-giving book, Samsim!
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

Miriam Molina wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 22:03 Suicide is such a devastating experience. I have known people who have killed themselves and some who have attempted to. Love is always the correct response. I laud the author for her mission. That she has gone through the throes of despair herself carries a powerful message: You can overcome.

Thanks for sharing about this life-giving book, Samsim!
"Love is always the correct response." That's so true! Yes, I thought it was important to note that the author is coming from a place in her life where she really relates to the people writing to her. She doesn't just imagine how they feel, she knows from experience. Thank you for reading my review and for your thoughts!
Samantha Simoneau

JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

"Asking for help means you care enough about yourself and your future to get better."
This is so beautiful. A lot of people going through these trials in their lives don't speak about it and I love that this encourages caring about yourself. Gorgeous review.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

JR Mercier wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 10:56 "Asking for help means you care enough about yourself and your future to get better."
This is so beautiful. A lot of people going through these trials in their lives don't speak about it and I love that this encourages caring about yourself. Gorgeous review.
I loved the overall encouraging, life-giving tone of the book and I hope it helps many people. Thank you for reading my review and for commenting!
Samantha Simoneau

Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

gen_g wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 10:43 Thanks for the detailed review! I love books which are not afraid to discuss sensitive issues, and it also sounds like an inspiring read.
(I realized I didn't quote you when I originally posted my response to your comment - sorry.) The overall tone is definitely one of hope, but it is so heartbreaking how many people have doubted their own value to the point of committing suicide. It sounds like a cat poster but, seriously, everyone is so precious and important! Thank you for reading and commenting on my review.
Samantha Simoneau

gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

SamSim wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 10:37
gen_g wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 10:43 Thanks for the detailed review! I love books which are not afraid to discuss sensitive issues, and it also sounds like an inspiring read.
(I realized I didn't quote you when I originally posted my response to your comment - sorry.) The overall tone is definitely one of hope, but it is so heartbreaking how many people have doubted their own value to the point of committing suicide. It sounds like a cat poster but, seriously, everyone is so precious and important! Thank you for reading and commenting on my review.
That's alright! (: I agree with you wholeheartedly about suicide being a painful issue - each and every life is important in its own way! Although it seems like there have been an increase in efforts to raise awareness about it, so I hope people who are in need of help can get access to it easily. Thank you for always leaving comments on mine as well, I really do appreciate it! :D
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review indeed for giving a glimpse of this self help book which is especially most useful for persons who think it is very hard to live and try to end their life
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:

sanjus wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 15:33 nice review indeed for giving a glimpse of this self help book which is especially most useful for persons who think it is very hard to live and try to end their life
Thank you for your kind comment!
Samantha Simoneau

Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

A great resource for such an increasingly relevant issue. Thanks for the detailed and engaging review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”