Official Review: Orchestrated Knowledge by Peter Leeson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Re: Official Review: Orchestrated Knowledge by Peter Leeson

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This could have been a great leadership and management book given the editorial errors were minute. Grammatical errors can easily put off people from reading a good book.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

gen_g wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 06:45 Oh this seems like a great reference! It’s a pity about the errors though. It sounds like a good companion to the one (for the employee) I just reviewed, actually. Thanks for the review!
I was quite disappointed about the errors. He spent a great deal of time talking about quality work, and how to achieve it, so it is more than a little ironic that his book was lacking in this way.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

daniya__shah3 wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 14:16 This could have been a great leadership and management book given the editorial errors were minute. Grammatical errors can easily put off people from reading a good book.
The errors are, at times, big enough to hinder understanding, so it is a rather big deal. He is typically used to speaking, rather than writing, and there is more leeway when you are speaking, in regards to grammar. The errors would make me always give a caveat if I were to recommend it. Thanks for commenting.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Amazing book to read. I love books on "management" and "leadership". Peter Leeson has laid down several approaches to resolving organizational issues, especially "change management".

I love his exposition on happy employees and unhappy employees. Very instructive for managers.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

very nice review on valuable book which may help reader deal with creative kind of jobs and free from daily monotonous job, yet editing error could make it little difficult to read
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Unfortunately, many people work in companies like the ones you mention and it's damaging both for the end results of the company and for the wellbeing of the employees. I think the importance of having happy employees is severely overlooked. This book could be a great asset to management and business culture if the author fixes the issues you point out.
Thank you!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Kat Berg wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 18:55 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Orchestrated Knowledge" by Peter Leeson.]
Part of this technique requires managers to trust the people they have hired to do the job they have been hired to do: Creating a high-quality product. A second aspect of this technique is to realize that happy employees create a much better product, while demoralized employees create diminishing returns. A third part of this technique is the realization that managers and leaders are working for their teams (not their shareholders), much like a car works to enable the tires to go where the car needs to go. Take away the tires (those who produce the product), and the car (the company, management, and leadership) goes nowhere. When you get these things right, your shareholders, your employees, and your customers will all be happy.
It seems like even though the book is not perfectly organized or edited, it still has a lot of useful information for people wanting the workplace to improve and be more productive. I especially liked that part of the technique to trust the employees and to make a happy environment for the employees to be happy and most productive. Some insights into why employees are not happy and how to effect change for better communication should be helpful for producing better quality products.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”