Official Review: Death Waits at the Deot by Warren Robinson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Official Review: Death Waits at the Deot by Warren Robinson

Post by EvaDar »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death Waits at the Deot" by Warren Robinson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the dark early morning of April 26, 1909, the lives of two southern Georgia families were forever changed. In Death Waits at the Depot, author Warren Robinson reaches into this family’s early American past to assemble a real-life account of the fateful night when his grandfather’s stolen gun was used to commit murder.

By the early 1900s, our author’s grandfather J.D. Robinson had made a name for himself as a banker and entrepreneur in Lenox, Georgia. South Georgia was envisioned as a refuge for debtors and the poor, and was valued for its good farm land and access to fresh water. In 1888 the railroad was developed through the South Georgia frontier, running from Macon, Georgia to Florida. The area grew quickly as towns sprang up along the railway line. The Lenox railroad depot was a hub for travel and commerce, and is the setting where this drama unfolds.

Marshall Lewis, a black railroad worker with a past, gathered up some buddies one night to burglarize various businesses in Lenox. In the midst of robbing the train depot, Lewis shot and killed Clifford Rutherford, a white postmaster who was trying to foil the crime. Lewis was later executed for the offense in a macabre, botched hanging.

When Georgia was first settled, large plots of land were granted to white male settlers. By the time the Robinson family arrived in Georgia, slavery had been abolished. But, this was the Jim Crow South, an era which denied African Americans basic social, economic, and civil rights. Evidence of this is seen throughout the book. The focus of this non-fiction story is understandably the Robinson family’s drama about the stolen gun used in the murder rather than a comment on race relations. But, the story of a black man killing a white man during this time period is innately about race. I found myself wanting Marshall Lewis to be explored more deeply, but I understand the challenges in researching African Americans from this period.

Robinson writes of Lewis’ parents, “The Lewis family raised their ten children to be hard-working, God-fearing Christians, taking them regularly to the Mount Zion Baptist Church in Oakfield. Little else is known about the Lewis family except that they lived in a small sharecropper’s home near Oakfield.” Sharecropping was an alternative to the harsh discipline and other misuses of power present in the gang labor systems that prevailed at that time. But, some sharecroppers turned to crime to escape the exploitive labor practices that were not much different from slavery. This comes from my research as a reviewer, and is not something gleaned from reading the book.

I chose to review this book because I am currently researching my roots in the Early American South. I appreciated the book on several levels. The writing flowed well, and the tone was engaging. I enjoyed learning about South Georgia history and the railroad boom that set the stage for this story to unfold. The historical photos were a nice feature. They added interest and context to the story. Marshall Lewis’ repentant confession letter was a spellbinding inclusion. He sold the letter to the local newspapers as a way to raise money to transport his soon dead body back to his family in Oakfield. His reverence for his parents and for his God touched me and left me feeling he was genuinely remorseful.

The whereabouts of Lewis’ unmarked grave is unknown. Clifford Rutherford was remembered with a large, elaborate funeral. His grave is marked with a substantial carved granite monument.

Warren Robinson’s Death Waits at the Depot is well-written, and the story is easy to follow. The book was professionally edited, and I found no errors. At just forty-eight pages, it is really more of a short story, easily digested in an evening. I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I did not choose 4 stars because ultimately the book lacks a historical sensitivity to the racial backdrop of that time and place. I recommend this intriguing book with that caveat.

Death Waits at the Deot
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Eva Darrington's review? Post a comment saying so!
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Well-written, historical, southern but with a "wild-west" feel, and a glimpse at family history. Sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I can see that the plot thickening through every word that I read from your review. It fascinated me that you have done your own search about this. Thank you for sharing your descriptive review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Well this is not a book for me. However I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for your review.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I'm not from South Georgia but reading about one's family history is always an intriguing read to me. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the engaging review. Sounds like an excellent historical account with an emotionally engaging plot. Definitely a book for me.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

SamSim wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 08:30 Well-written, historical, southern but with a "wild-west" feel, and a glimpse at family history. Sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yes, I hope you get a chance to read this fun book. I enjoyed learning about the history of the South at that time. It's worth the read. Thanks for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 13 Jun 2018, 05:54 I can see that the plot thickening through every word that I read from your review. It fascinated me that you have done your own search about this. Thank you for sharing your descriptive review!
I really did enjoy this short page-turner. I hope you get a chance to check it out. Thanks so much for stopping by.
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 14 Jun 2018, 07:14 I'm not from South Georgia but reading about one's family history is always an intriguing read to me. Thank you for your review.
Yes, I enjoyed learning about the history of the South in this era. It was nice to follow that history through a real-life drama. Thanks so much for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed
EvaDar
Currently Reading:

Post by EvaDar »

Nimat87 wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 01:04 Thanks for the engaging review. Sounds like an excellent historical account with an emotionally engaging plot. Definitely a book for me.
You are right, the plot really drew me in and got me thinking about that time period in the South. I hope you get a chance to check out this little book. Thanks for stopping by!
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”