Official Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Inspirience: Meditation Unbound" by Richard L Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bestselling author Richard L. Haight wrote Inspirience: Meditation Unbound: The Unconditioned Path to Spiritual Awakening because he wants the readers to know they are ready for enlightenment. According to Haight, "there is a presence, intelligence, and power so perfect, so loving that no human words can adequately describe it, and it's within you." He calls this presence Isness. It just is and encompasses the whole universe. Inspirience is when people experience a "direct conscious awareness of Isness." The purpose of the book is to help the readers tune to Isness and change their lives for the better. Meditation is the way to tune to Isness. For that reason, Haight shares with the readers several meditations that he learned through his lifelong study of meditation and martial arts.

This is a non-fiction book about meditation consisting of 112 pages. It is pretty organized and divided into four parts. Part I is about Haight's path of exploration of meditation and its meaning. Part 2 is about how he found unconditioned ways to practice meditation. For example, he learned how to meditate with his eyes open and all the senses. He also talks about neuroplasticity and the importance of appreciation. Part 3 discusses the different types of conscience, such as cultural conscience, moral conscience, and innate conscience. He explains how various areas of deceit have a negative impact on ourselves. Examples are flattery, gossip, complaint, and spite. Part 4 is about what happens when we finally tune to Isness. At the end, the book includes a handy glossary with definitions of concepts the author mentioned in the book and an appendix with instructions on how to do several meditations.

I liked a number of factors about this book. Haight makes it clear that the meditations he shares with the readers do not come from Eastern religious practices, such as Buddhism and Zen. He came up with the meditations himself after many years of studying martial arts and meditation. I found it interesting that he does not like meditating with his eyes closed and seated. He says that a martial artist needs to be calm and alert in battle. I thought it was quite original of him to find new ways to practice meditation. He even has a meditation for tidying up the house.

Haight also offers a lot of beneficial information in this book, which is not long. However, he managed to be succinct. I thought he gave some great pieces of advice. An example is that he applies the idea of "forward motion" to his meditations, which means to give up expectations and simply move forward. The mind gets distracted again and again, so we must accept that the mind will rebel. Another example is that he explains what neuroplasticity is and how we can retrain the brain.

The only issue I had with the book is that Haight's tone sounds too philosophical and existential at times. I had to read some sentences and paragraphs more than once to grasp their full meaning. The following is an example: "But the reality is that even immediacy is beyond words. Even to say that this moment is, is false. To say that it is not is equally false."

I rate Inspirience: Meditation Unbound: The Unconditioned Path to Spiritual Awakening by Richard L. Haight 4 out of 4 stars. The author teaches the readers about meditation and provides beneficial information about retraining the brain, different types of conscience, and appreciation. Even though some of his arguments were too philosophical and existential for my taste, I was not detracted from the importance of the book. What is more, I only found two grammatical errors. I recommend this book to readers who practice meditation and martial arts and those who have an interest in learning about meditation.

Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Yolimari's review? Post a comment saying so!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The practice od meditation with eyes open and focus on basic things is a basic meditation which is much applicable and suitable to the lay community. It grossly has a lot advantages than one can expect. The meditation achieved by martial arts is based on deep focus of every movement which is greatly advantageous. The founder of Shaolin Temple is Bodhidharma, a buddhist monk from India. Martial arts was first introduced as boxing to the monastery as a form of exercise. The movement helps to develop awareness and directly sharpens concentration. Thank you for your detailed review! Definitely adding it to my self
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
SF21
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by SF21 »

I guess I can guess the story entirely based on this review. No for me.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 23:09 The practice od meditation with eyes open and focus on basic things is a basic meditation which is much applicable and suitable to the lay community. It grossly has a lot advantages than one can expect. The meditation achieved by martial arts is based on deep focus of every movement which is greatly advantageous. The founder of Shaolin Temple is Bodhidharma, a buddhist monk from India. Martial arts was first introduced as boxing to the monastery as a form of exercise. The movement helps to develop awareness and directly sharpens concentration. Thank you for your detailed review! Definitely adding it to my self

Wow! You know a lot about meditation. My knowledge is basic. That is why I read the book. Thanks so much for your amazing insight!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Yolimari wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 01:08
Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 23:09 The practice od meditation with eyes open and focus on basic things is a basic meditation which is much applicable and suitable to the lay community. It grossly has a lot advantages than one can expect. The meditation achieved by martial arts is based on deep focus of every movement which is greatly advantageous. The founder of Shaolin Temple is Bodhidharma, a buddhist monk from India. Martial arts was first introduced as boxing to the monastery as a form of exercise. The movement helps to develop awareness and directly sharpens concentration. Thank you for your detailed review! Definitely adding it to my self

Wow! You know a lot about meditation. My knowledge is basic. That is why I read the book. Thanks so much for your amazing insight!
Dear, I have been studying this subject for a very long time. Your welcome! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Great review and an interesting take on "traditional" meditation. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not really into "meditation" or enlightenment necessarily. Too much spirituality. However, it does sound like it covers some good ground for those that enjoy that type of thing. Thanks for the review. I'm glad that you were able to find some positives in it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This is most definitely not my kind of book, but I commend you for writing a fantastic review. I will recommend this book to others that I think might enjoy it.
dgentle-babe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by dgentle-babe »

the review is nice and I will recommend it to those that will also appreciate it.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Wow, meditation with eyes open sounds new to me. However, I have to pass this book because I'm not into meditation. The least I can do is to recommend this to my friends who are learning about this meditation. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Thanks for the enlightening review. I know next to nothing about meditation. Perhaps I might check this out to gain some insight.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Your review is very detailed and interesting. It sounds like the book takes a different angle than the majority of self-help "easy meditation" guides.
Although I try to practice mindfulness every day, I´m not really appealed by the existential and philosophical aspect of it, but I'm very much interested in the advice, like the "forward motion" you mention. I´ll keep it in mind.
adeleke_adey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adeleke_adey »

Meditation fascinates me, although I don't know a whole lot about it. I'll definitely check out the book.
This is a well written review by the way.
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

SamSim wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 06:53 Great review and an interesting take on "traditional" meditation. Thanks!
Yes, his meditations are outside the box. Thanks for reading and commenting!

-Gabriel García Márquez
Yoli García

Post by Yoli García »

SamSim wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 06:53 Great review and an interesting take on "traditional" meditation. Thanks!
It was definitely a different take on meditation. Thanks for reading and your kind words!

-Gabriel García Márquez

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”