Review by book_worm 101 -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
book_worm 101
Currently Reading: See How Small
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-worm-101.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare

Review by book_worm 101 -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by book_worm 101 » 09 Jun 2018, 16:50

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At first glance of the title of this book, I believed Rob White had met the perfect person with whom he would share the rest of his life, and decided to write about it. Turns out, I was wrong. Although Mr. White does write about how Margaret changed his life, it is definitely not what one would expect.

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is a book compromised of multiple experiences and people that made Rob's perspective towards life change completely.

Rob is well-known for his entrepreneurship, but like most, he didn't start out like that. Rob was born and raised in a small mill town. In this town, people usually stayed forever; never deciding to build a new life elsewhere. Rob, however, believed he had too much potential to waste working in a factory for the rest of his life. Like very few people in this town, Rob went to college and continued on his life, meeting unexpected "gurus" who changed him for the better.

There are 22 chapters within this book, each talking about different experiences or people that transformed Rob. From simple family who did a lot for him to scumbags who decided to take advantage of him as a real estate person, this well-written collection of stories will change anyone who reads it.

Although there were a few grammatical errors, Rob White's captivating words made up for them. His metaphors and use of powerful words are alluring. For example, one of my favorite metaphors Mr. White used was, "This guy has enough pearls of wisdom to choke a jumbo oyster." This figure of speech made you realize just how much knowledge this specific man possessed.

At the beginning of every chapter Rob White has a "myth" he believed. Then he would tell about an experience within the chapter relating to the aforesaid myth. Finally, at the end of the chapter, he would state the reality he came to discover because of the specific experience. I found this very interesting compared to other books I have read. I found myself relating to believing these myths, but after reading his experience I found myself realizing that the reality was hidden between the lies of said myths.

Although the title is a bit misleading and the book is a slow read, I believe this book deserves a 4 out of 4 star rating. This book would appeal to anyone and I would gladly recommend it to all.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like book_worm 101's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”