Official Review: The Pre & Post College Student Pocke...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bruin
Currently Reading: Cracking the Genome
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bruin.html
Latest Review: Havana 1995 -english version- by Ileana Gonzalez Monserrat

Official Review: The Pre & Post College Student Pocke...

Post by bruin »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Pre & Post College Student Pocket Guide to Success" by Renee J. Bey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Pre and Post College Student Pocket Guide to Success is a concise self-help book that is a great resource for anyone who is interested in pursuing higher education, avoiding debt, and saving for retirement. It is a thin booklet that is about 7 inches long and 4 inches wide, so it is easy to carry around and flip through. This book should be available in every high school counselors' office, or college career centers.

Renee J. Bey encourages readers to take control of their lives, “You can do whatever you set your mind to do. Please, don’t let anyone or anything stop you from your own success and what you are destined to be.” You often hear this message in motivational speeches, but Renee takes her message a step further and tells you how to make it all happen. This book is easy to read and written so that even young readers can understand all of the information presented.

Each chapter covers a different topic that is very well organized with tips, references to websites, and key takeaways. Chapter 1 is full of information about college entrance exams, different ways to pay for tuition, the benefits of extracurricular activities, and how to choose a career. Renee J. Bey clearly explains how understanding all of these topics early on can help you get into college and avoid accumulating debt. This part of the guide will be most beneficial for pre-teens to get a lead on what to do in high school in order to become a strong candidate for college and scholarship applications.

The following three chapters are valuable to anyone who wants to learn about obtaining good credit, decreasing debt, and saving money for retirement. Chapter 2 explains how to obtain good credit and how to budget wisely. It is important to understand these topics as a teenager to have a good advantage in making good choices after college. Chapter 3 discusses different ways to choose and start a career. This chapter is very informative for anyone trying to get a job at any stage of their life. The last chapter organizes all of the different ways to prepare for retirement. The sooner that you learn how to prepare for this stage in your life, then the better off you will be.

I appreciate that every chapter ended with key take away points to summarize and clearly organize each topic. This helped me make a checklist of steps to accomplish my goals. Another valuable aspect of this pocket guide is that there are over thirty websites listed that cover each topic so that readers can expand on them, and this also ensures that the information will be relevant to future generations.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is professionally edited and is very enjoyable to read. This book will prepare preteens, greatly benefit teens, and continue to guide adults to live debt free. I will definitely use this book to explore a different career path, and to better prepare for my retirement.

The Pre & Post College Student Pocket Guide to Success
View: on Bookshelves

Like bruin's review? Post a comment saying so!
Cinda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Cinda »

I enjoyed reading your review. I would have definitely benefitted from this book when joining university but I reckon it is not too late to apply the gems of knowledge from this book now.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Seems practical, thorough, and interesting, much like your review.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I could have used a book like this when I was a teen.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Honestly, I don't think there's much information in this booklet for me. I'm past college age now, and I'm pretty good about saving. Sounds like this would be great for someone, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ibn Muhyideen
Currently Reading: The Pre & Post College Student Pocket Guide to Success
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ibn Muhyideen »

A very good topic of discussion. I like books talking about building personalities.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I am currently in college and I think I can make use of this book. Thank you for the honest opinion, I'm glad I came across it. This really helped me make up my mind.
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

'Renee takes her message a step further and tells you how to make it all happen'. This part really got me. It sounds like a well-written book which would produce desired results. Very informative and engaging review by the way.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

A book that is a great resource for anyone who is interested in pursuing higher education, is a book that needs to be read.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A self-help book that help students prepare for college sounds helpful. A book that encourages one to take control of their lives sounds like a good resource. That the book is well edited is certainly a plus. That each chapter ends with key take away points is another plus. Not for me, but I am glad you found it engaging.Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I have a granddaughter who is a junior in high school. She is wanting to go to college, but is unsure of what she wants to do as a career. It seems that this would be a great help for her. I like that there is a summary at the end of each chapter, and that it gives advice on preparing for retirement. Most college prep guides only take one as far as getting to college, then into a career, but I've never seen one that has guidance for retirement.

Thank you for your informative review. 💕
kimcha06
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by kimcha06 »

College life is very challenging compared to high school and elementary years. Thanks to this book book I realized how I able to survive college problems. So, a five stars rate for this book. Big thanks to the author Renne.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

This is one handy guide. I like the book's stepwise and systemic approach that steers students how to slide smoothly through college, get a degree, and excel without breaking a leg! Thanks for the insightful review.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

College is an insane concept and endeavor, sending 18 year olds to choose their future. I never prepared for what to do after college, money and debt were mythical things. This book would have helped me a lot. I will be sure to read it before I continue my education.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I love this review and how this book book addresses college students and teens in an organized manner. However, it is not something I'm interested to read.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”