Official Review: Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Official Review: Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small...

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small town in the 80's" by T.J.Wray.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When I think of an autobiography, I typically think of a book about someone's life who went through something so spectacular that everyone would want to read about it. Someone survived against impossible odds in a war? Sounds amazing! Somebody raised 35 kids all alone? That sounds awful, tell me more! Someone dedicated their life to creating the world's biggest LEGO structure? Sure, that could be awesome! Lately, however, I'm finding more and more autobiographies about ordinary people, people who have lived through some crazy moments (who hasn't?) but for the most part live lives similar to the rest of us. Focusing on someone who didn't singlehandedly kill 30,000 enemy soldiers with their bare hands is far more relatable, even if many of these books come across as a bit mundane.

Enter Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small town in the 80's by T. J. Wray. Wray's book takes a unique approach - rather than focus on his entire life thus far (he's currently in his late 40s) or on a handful of events that were especially astonishing, he tackles dozens of wild things that happened to him in his youth. I'm a mere 13 years younger than Wray myself, but his experience growing up even that short amount of time prior to me, and in a small town vs my youth in Chicago, made for a really interesting book!

Our Teenage Years starts off with an introduction of Wray's early years leading up to his parents divorcing one another, his father moving Wray and his sister around a ludicrous number of times and then Wray moving in with his mother (and "idiot" stepfather). From there, chapters are broken up mostly into various types of stories rather than chronological order. These stories range from Wray's first job as a paperboy and feeling like a rich man for making a little over $100 a month; to getting his first motorcycle; his best friend and their crazy adventures; a foray into shoplifting; accidentally burning his house down; getting left behind while on the way to a Christian rock concert and then having to leave early because everyone else was smoking pot; and just hanging out doing whatever kids do in a small town. The multiple sections of each chapter are often only a few pages each, so they don't take forever to get to the good stuff, but throughout it all Wray builds a narrative of a kid that any of us would be lucky to have as our own.

Wray is one of those authors that writes like he's talking to a loved one, particularly his children. He's not scared to admit the crazy things he and his friends did, nor is he scared to admit the mistakes he made. Instead, he uses these hard-earned lessons from his own life to teach lessons to others. In addition to merely showing the dangers of, say, prodding and throwing rocks at what looks like a giant tire but is actually an alligator's tail, he does it all the best way possible - through being a good example.

Despite having a really rough childhood, Wray dove into responsibility even in his early teens. He learned the value of a dollar, he worked his butt off and he was darn proud of it! It's been a long time since I heard stories of people who were responsible and hardworking merely because it was the right thing to do, and his examples are exemplary. That isn't to say he didn't do some really dumb stuff, of course. He was a teenager after all, so he may have seriously hurt himself more times than I can count and survived more than some superheroes, but every one of these stories is entertaining and a joy to read.

This was one of those books where I'd look at how much I'd read and be blown away that I'd covered a couple dozen pages. I was so drawn in, and I could easily have read another 100 pages of Wray's stories, but at the same time I didn't feel for a second that the book was too short. In fact, at the end of the book he has a hint of a story from the 90s, and he (probably jokingly) says that "the 90s is a whole other book". I really do hope he intends to write that book, because I'd devour it just as happily as I blew through this one! My rating of Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small town in the 80's by T. J. Wray is 3 out of 4 stars, solely because I found just over a dozen errors. The errors are the only negative I have about the book at all, and as exceptional as the rest of the book is it pains me terribly to take that point off, but I literally have no choice. It's so great, it makes me wish I had a book like it written by every person in my family, and especially from the family that has passed away.

Our Teenage Years: Growing up in a small town in the 80's
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like CataclysmicKnight's review? Post a comment saying so!
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
danielsyengo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielsyengo.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by danielsyengo »

Looks more of memorable! I would like to read it.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

This seems like a very nostalgic read.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

You had me at "alligator's tail." I think "regular" people are much more interesting than they or the rest of the world give them credit for. I like this trend in autobiographies. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Wow, I love reading autobiographies! Not necessarily about the prominent and well-known person. Reading about the author's hard earned lesson is sufficient to me. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
bxdttxx23
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by bxdttxx23 »

This seems like a good book. I would really love to read it.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. It has certainly piqued my interest in this book; it sounds really interesting.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like an interesting read; thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”