Official Review: Accidental Travels of a Single Woman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Accidental Travels of a Single Woman

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Accidental Travels of a Single Woman" by Terry Woods.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Accidental Travels of a Single Woman by Terry Woods is a non-fiction book that describes the adventures undertaken by the author after discovering her incompatibility with the summer heat of her Las Vegas home. Luckily, she discovers travel clubs that are an affordable option for those looking to travel often. Some of the destinations captured in this book include Seattle, New England, Texas, and parts of Italy, France, Germany and Australia. The book contains thirty-nine chapters describing various trips and adventures the author embarked on over a sixteen year period, beginning in 2001.

The stories told within this book are sometimes humorous, sometimes moving, and always enjoyable to read. Each chapter is relatively short, none being more than a few pages long. The conciseness of each story created focus within the narrative; it never felt as though the author was rambling or veering off topic. Similarly, Woods’ tone is reflective and thoughtful, which made reading each chapter engaging. Moreover, this book is incredibly well written, making it easy to become absorbed in the narrative.

Many times, the author’s travel companions or host families from the travel club play an important role in the author’s stories. However, it often felt as though the stories were being relayed to people who were already familiar with these characters. I rarely felt a connection to these characters as they were never fully described, nor were their individual personalities ever fully developed within the context of the story. Generally, these characters were all missing something to bring their importance in the story to the forefront. There were a few exceptions to this, one being Joan, a hot-headed travel companion that the author managed to wrangle during their trip through New England one fall.

Similarly, although the author narrates each chapter, it isn’t until the second half of the book that her personality emanates from the pages. The first portion of the book felt more like a nice travel journal with some cute anecdotes that didn’t really provide a lot of information about the author's personality. However, in the second half, the author truly opens up, and the book becomes so much more than what one would expect from a travel journal. The second portion delves into the author’s reflections on love, faith, religion, independence, history and cultural differences. While the first part touches on some of these elements, the author’s voice and true character don’t really make an appearance.

Accidental Travels of a Single Woman was an easy, joyful book to read. By the end of the book, I felt a connection to the author, and it was easy to see how her adventures all over the globe helped shape the recent years of her life. However, I would have enjoyed knowing more about the many characters involved in her journeys. Further, I wish the first half of the book had the same intimate connection to the author as I found in the second half. Due to these factors, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This book would appeal most to those who enjoy reading self-reflective books with a focus on traveling and personal growth.

Accidental Travels of a Single Woman
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds really fascinating! I love travelling and I also like hearing about other people's holidays, so this seems like a great read. Thanks for the amazing review!
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nimat87 »

I think I'll enjoy reading a book like this because it opens a reader's eyes to different parts of the world and their interesting cultures. Thanks for the engaging review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

If you like travel stories, this one definitely sounds like a winner. It's too bad it took so long to get to know the author, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this one. I personally would rather actually travel than hear about it from someone else. But, that's not always possible. So, I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Excellent review. While the entire book sounds interesting, I'm glad the author's personality came out more in the second half. I am off to check out the sample!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

The book sounds great but like kandscreeley, I would rather travel and experience the places for myself than hear it from someone else. However, since I really enjoyed your review, I might just give the book a chance. :D
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

Non fiction books that aren't historical are not really my thing but great take on the review though.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

It's always captivating to learn new cultures especially when done through travelling and nothing could be more relaxing than travelling through reading, so I guess this would be the perfect book for that.
strawberrysab
Currently Reading: The Keeper of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 161
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strawberrysab.html
Latest Review: Maddy's Wings by Jan porter

Post by strawberrysab »

Ah. I love travel stories! Your remark about the author's personality really emanating only halfway through the book, it sounds like maybe the author wrote down the journal over the long span of sixteen years and her writing changed together with her trip adventures?
Berry :wine:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love the title of this book and your review further piqued my interest! I'm adding it to my bookshelves. On a humorous note, I can't imagine anyone would travel to Texas to escape the heat--I've lived here my whole life and it's scorching!
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

MarisaRose, you said:
Many times, the author’s travel companions or host families from the travel club play an important role in the author’s stories. However, it often felt as though the stories were being relayed to people who were already familiar with these characters.
I assume that's because this is her travel journal; she wouldn't need to go in-depth about them if it's a type of diary. I get your point for the audience though.
I've known people who do house trades in other countries and I've traveled a bit myself so I enjoyed reading your review of this. Besides, I too have entirely uprooted myself to escape the heat! She and I may be Sisters Seeking Snow.
Sounds as if the second part was where she was fully involved in noticing different perspectives on life by living in environments foreign to her, and with people whose lives would be different. Whenever she landed somewhere without the enervating heat, her metabolism probably kicked on again, allowing her brain to work and see what she was too drained to see before.
Mara89
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mara89.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by Mara89 »

Sounds like a great soul searching story. I'd love to read it!
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I'm a traveller at heart and so am always interested in a good travel book. I'm glad to have seen your review as this sounds quite engaging but not sufficiently compelling to merit picking when there are so many travel books out there....
OrlaCarty
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-orlacarty.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by OrlaCarty »

My personal opinion would be that the most interesting part about travelling is the people you meet along the way, so I'm disappointed to hear that the characters weren't captured to their full potential. It still sounds like an interesting read regardless, thank you for the detailed review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”