Official Review: Prescriptions for Success: “My Per...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Prescriptions for Success: “My Per...

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prescriptions for Success: “My Perspective”" by Catherine Towne-Coleman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From rightly defining success, adopting the right attitude, managing finances, eating right, learning great titbits on improving life, there is so much to learn from reading Prescriptions for Success: “My Perspective” by Catherine Towne-Coleman. There are many ways of defining success, for Towne-Coleman, the definition is best captured by the Bible. From it, she quotes Matthew 6:33 as a guiding principle of attaining success.

Included, are lessons that every parent will find useful on raising children who understand money and are capable of strategically budgeting their money. Coleman’s book is many things in one and no matter who reads it; they will leave with a number of takeaways.

The message that spoke to me the most was living each day fully. In a world dictated by time, it is easy to lose focus and place urgent needs in front of everything else and neglect oneself as the author describes in her book. She notes the importance of enjoying life and not being too focused on tomorrow. Catherine Towne-Coleman includes Erma Bombeck’s poem, If I had to Live My Life Over, and other inspirational works. After I read these parts of the book, I have become much keener on enjoying each day as a gift and I am taking time to “smell the roses”.

The structure of the book is creative and comprehensible. Every message has its own place and section. Within each chapter, there are clearly designated subtopics that divide the book into easily readable chunks. The content is quite specific too. For instance, the author lists specific foods that are considered superfoods. On finances, Towne-Coleman includes a budget that is color-marked and that contains specific budgetary allocations which made it easy for me to better put into perspective the author’s message on expenditure.

The book contains a Christian undertone throughout and some few instances of the author’s personal accounts. At one point the author gives an instance where a day is spoilt when someone fails to handle a situation appropriately as prescribed in the 90/10 principle. I would have appreciated a few more similar narratives as these, to make the content more relatable and the narration much more candid.

At the beginning of the treatise, there were some images included but the trend is dropped in later parts. This presents some inconsistency and left me wondering why the author abandoned this type of presentation along the way.

I rate Prescriptions for Success: “My Perspective” 3 out of 4 stars. The book contains many great features despite the shortfalls.

Prescriptions for Success: “My Perspective”
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I would like to read this book. Great review! Thank you.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love the Christian take in this book. It sounds well-rounded, practical, and organized. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”