Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
rik17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rik17.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Re: Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Post by rik17 »

Great review! Devotional works aren't really my cup of tea, but I like how the reviewer has explained the diverse layers of the book. It has made the work interesting for me. Also the 'weekly' approach to the narration seems quite original.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I agree with you that it would have been nice if it has a clear topic for each week. The thing with devotional books is that it needs a theme in order to get through to the reader. This could also be a great thing to be given at New Year's. Sometimes we get so distracted to live in this world and forget to dedicate our time to God.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
elizab8
Currently Reading: Blood and Roses
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizab8.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by elizab8 »

Interesting review! I have read the sample, and it is inspirational. I hope to enjoy most of the devotional readings of the entire book. I did like reading about Salvation, especially where it says. "I give you a new day, a new beginning." I think that is very encouraging. And I also agree with you the sample reading was a bit misleading too. But I like reading it.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The percepts supported by personal stories makes the whole book more relatable. However, people from all schools of beliefs might not find it easy to agree with some of the sentences in the book, which seems to be relatively more "Baptist" in nature.

Great review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I love reading Christian books. I can’t wait to start the year off right with this one!
CheyenneR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheyenner.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by CheyenneR »

I agree with what you said about the weekly topic veering off course causing a bit of confusion. If you plan to have a weekly topic than I feel that is important to stick to that topic to allow the readers to digest what is happening.
Mariajencen24
Currently Reading: The Chaos of the Stars
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Mariajencen24 »

I especially like a book when it talks about God. Or when the topic is about God. Some of us may be experiencing spiritual drought right now. And it really helps to the people who encounters it. Not just for spiritual drought but it's inspiring to read a book about God boosting your faith in Him and at the same time giving time for Him. When reading you connect with God and that's one way to worship and praise Him. You deeply know about God and know his promises. By that, you start holding the promise of God and that's when you trust Him more.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I'm not Christian, so I don't think this would be a good fit for me, but it sounds like a good read for those who are looking to strengthen their beliefs. Thank you for the insightful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
lizzyobitz
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lizzyobitz.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by lizzyobitz »

FIRST FRUIT BY SUZAN BUTTLER:
This is a good devotional book for all not only the christains. But for the christains, it is God's command, as it is written in the bible which is our standard to bring our first fruit to him, the book is explanatory, educative, informative, directional with few refereces to ecourage you and serves as a reminder of our duty and obedience to God. I recommend it for any one seeking for spiritual fulfilment
Lizzyobitz
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I am not at all a religious person, yet the book concept seems beautiful and likely to help us all in our daily pursuit. I hope it will be of great help and guidance for people of faith. Thank you so much for the review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Nothing compares to an inspirational book on God's word rooted firmly on the Bible. I like the part of this devotional that the author shares about her struggles and how she relies on God's promises. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Equationsofeternity
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Equationsofeternity »

I'm unsure of how impactful this book might be for someone without religious preference. However, I am open minded & still interested in reading it. How can one go wrong with a message of positivity? Thank you for an honest review.

:techie-studyingbrown:
nlfrederick
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by nlfrederick »

Definitely sounds like a book I’d enjoy! I can handle the weeks not staying on one particular topic, as I’m sure there’s lots to be learned from the topics that are also presented. I love how organized your review is, also!
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

Me, not being religious at all, would likely be a little too harsh if I read this and found it going "off topic" during the week of specific theme. Though maybe the author did not intend for it to be a week of theme? I don't know. But it would bother me even if I were to use this book as a self help sort of inspirational book.
Sakeenah143
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading: Love is too Hard: The Dating (Mis)Adventures of a Man With Autism
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sakeenah143.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Sakeenah143 »

As the reviewer said "it is clearly Christian based, so those who do not adhere to that way of living would probably find no interest in it at all" I happen to find no interest in it .
Congrats BOTD

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”