Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "First Fruits" by Susan Butler.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bible has been a source of encouragement, comfort, and confirmation for many people throughout the years. It is still considered to be one of the best selling books of all time and with the number of 'easy to read' translations available in today's language, those who desire to read it from cover to cover have a greater chance of reaching that goal now more than ever.

Besides reader-friendly options to help better understand the text, various authors have put together companion books to assist bringing a deeper revelation of what the scriptures are conveying. Susan Butler has done that in her daily devotional First Fruits where her goal is to have readers discover a stronger spiritual life that includes open communication with the Creator.

The book is laid out so that an entire year is broken down into fifty-two weeks. At the beginning of each week, the author presents the reader with what she calls a 'precept' that is explained in detail by personal stories and scripture. For example, in Week Thirteen, she focuses on the subject of healing. She goes on to write about how God can heal people emotionally, physically and spiritually. Various passages from the Bible are used to exemplify the point she is trying to get across to her audience. Before moving on to the readings for the week, there is space on the page left open for those who wish to write down their reflections. This adds a nice touch because it transforms the material into a personal journal for a keepsake that could be reviewed in the future to realize personal progress.

Another feature not found in all books of this nature is that the author wrote down what she heard God speak to her. This part of the material gives a rather up close and personal feel for the relationship the author has with God. While she has thoroughly studied and chosen passages that are enlightening, it was inspiring to see that she was brave enough to lay bare to the public her private conversations with God. While she merely listened, He spoke, and she recorded the message so that others can benefit from it.

I liked the brevity of the daily passages. The book is supposed to be about giving God the first part of your day. I know that many of us, myself included, don't want to set an alarm to start the morning earlier to read the Bible for a lengthy amount of time. Some of us might be under the impression that in order to grow, we have to labor to get there. This devotional makes it clear that this is not so. I think readers who take this on for a year are going to find that each section is written in a straightforward manner and brief enough to fit into a time schedule that should not be too hectic. The writing may be short, but the depth of the subjects touched upon will stay with the reader throughout the day. I was impressed by the vast amount of scripture included. Even though I could not take a full year to read and write my review, I found myself strengthed by the parts where the author shared her own struggles and how she used her faith and the promises of God to overcome some of life's biggest heartaches.

While the book has many good qualities, it may not be for everyone. First, it is clearly Christian based, so those who do not adhere to that way of living would probably find no interest in it at all. Second, in the 'About the Author' section at the end of the book, she states that she attends a Baptist church and has been highly involved there for over thirty years. There are many sects of Christianity, and what is taught as the gospel truth in one may not be in another. Her belief system may not reflect that of all followers.

Third, I was somewhat disappointed by the arrangement of the book. When I first began to read, I thought each week would have a topic, and that every reading for that week would stay on that topic. This did not occur. For example, in Week Five, she introduces the subject of sacrifice and what God expects from believers in regard to this. Only two of the seven readings for the week stay on the subject and then veer off onto others such as protection, judgment, and praise. I found this happened throughout the entire book. It was confusing because if the point is for the reader to dig into the idea presented at the beginning of the week, then each passage following should focus on the original subject.

Last, there were a few minor errors with commas and capitalization. This was not enough to draw me away from the messages, however. In its current state of PDF form, these should be easy to fix. The entries where she expressed what God had spoken to her personally, I gave much room as it was written in a free-flowing style, and this reader fully knows what it is like to get insight and direction from an inward source, so I chose not to hold her to the standard writing protocol in those sections of the book. Others might find that not right, but I viewed it as journal entries where a little bit more leeway should be considered.

For her huge undertaking of trying to make the Bible a more understandable resource as well as encouraging people to come up higher in their faith, I am giving this devotional 3 out of 4 stars.

First Fruits
View: on Bookshelves

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

The Lord has a tight grip on us. He will never let us go. Not now; not ever.
:angelic-cyan: :angelic-cyan: :angelic-cyan:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is such a great idea for a book. I am not a religious person at all, but I have read the Bible (I know it's weird, but I like the stories). I think that a book that takes you through the teachings one week at a time is a wonderful idea. I love that there is also room for you to write in your own thoughts.
I agree that it would be worthwhile to focus her chapters more on what the heading is. A good roadmap of what her weekly thoughts and ideas are would really tighten up the book.
Would this be something that you would use on a week to week basis?
Thanks for your great review! I really enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I need to check this one out. I love a challenging devotional (and if you do too, I recommend The Armor of God, by Priscilla Shirer). I agree with you about the arrangement issue in this one. Spending the week digging into one subject would have been my preference.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Veering off topic would bother me some, but if the content is great I can let that slide. The originality of the author adding her own notes with the passages is what intrigues me the most. Thanks for your review.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 04:00 This is such a great idea for a book. I am not a religious person at all, but I have read the Bible (I know it's weird, but I like the stories). I think that a book that takes you through the teachings one week at a time is a wonderful idea. I love that there is also room for you to write in
your own thoughts.

I agree that it would be worthwhile to focus her chapters more on what the heading is. A good roadmap of what her weekly thoughts and ideas are would really tighten up the book.
Would this be something that you would use on a week to week basis?
Thanks for your great review! I really enjoyed it :)
The author sets it up to be used on a daily basis with little pieces at a time. Not so much focusing on the stories of the Bible, which are fascinating like you said, but more on a topic and the scriptures that instruct from the Bible on those topics. So, it’s maybe a two or three line scripture verse followed by what God spoke to her which is also very brief.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

melissy370 wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 11:44 Veering off topic would bother me some, but if the content is great I can let that slide. The originality of the author adding her own notes with the passages is what intrigues me the most. Thanks for your review.
I am journal writer so that part of the book I found so nice. Thanks for reading my review. I appreciate it.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

SamSim wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 08:03 I need to check this one out. I love a challenging devotional (and if you do too, I recommend The Armor of God, by Priscilla Shirer). I agree with you about the arrangement issue in this one. Spending the week digging into one subject would have been my preference.
I think some people wouldn’t care, but my mindset was so focused on it being organized differently, it distracted me. In fact, I took a notepad, wrote down the precept or topic for the week at the top and then I listed how many for the week matched up with the original idea. Some weeks there were two out of the seven, so like I said, if felt a little haphazard, but she does know the Bible very well! Thanks for the recommend too. I will check into it. I’m currently in a book called “My Year In The Bible”. I read and then I journal.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Riszell wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 01:22
The Lord has a tight grip on us. He will never let us go. Not now; not ever.
:angelic-cyan: :angelic-cyan: :angelic-cyan:
I love it! Just the right thing said at the moment when I need it. Thank you.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A particularly worthwhile book for those of faith wishing to move closer to God. Disappointing that the author didn’t stay on one topic at times - perhaps an area the book could be improved. Thanks for your informative review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I think I would be disappointed in the fact that the readings don't exactly match up with the theme for the week. I think that would drive me nuts. I am looking for something encouraging at the moment, though. I'll consider this one. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Suzy1611
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Suzy1611 »

Fifty two weeks, good explanation. Spirituality at its best. Amen.
Blue_fox
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blue_fox »

I like the message of the book. We people forgotten our duty to God. Even the simplest way of talking to God because of our own priorities in life. We must thank him for giving each day to cherish with. Maybe it’s about time to to mend the bond and lend him a time everyday just to thank him for everything he has given us Despite of our actions.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I've tried reading the Bible from cover to cover in a year before and failed. Maybe this book might help me finally reach my goal. Thank you for writing such a beautiful review :)
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

It's so interesting that the book is broken up into weeks, but I completely agree with you that there should be a clear topic for each week. Perhaps there are way too many topics and they can't be reduced to 52? Still, a clear picture of the material would be a great idea. Thanks for an awesome review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”