Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
CaitlynLynch
Currently Reading: Conquering Writer's Block and Summoning Inspiration
Bookshelf Size: 3245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caitlynlynch.html
Latest Review: The Hand That Feeds You by Amos Cartell
Reading Device: B01AZ7LQ00

Re: Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

Post by CaitlynLynch »

It's a shame the author didn't stick with her own specified topic for each week. Perhaps some rearranging of the texts would help with this.
smc19
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 72

Post by smc19 »

The reviewer did a good job of identifying both positive and negative key points that made the book more valuable and provided room to improve. If the intent of the author is a presentation in journal format, then latitude in grading the syntax and format are definitely appropriate. Well done!
aolusegun20
Favorite Book: The Surgeon's Wife
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolusegun20.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by aolusegun20 »

This is a kind of book I would love to read. Most have really missed it in life simply because, their communion with God is nothing to write home about.
jst123
Currently Reading: First Fruits
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by jst123 »

Official Review: First Fruits by Susan Butler

This devotional book has done what the author intended to do because she has not only put the topic and verse for each day but has also explained what each scripture says and it's up to the reader or the the one doing devotion to meditate further on the verse.

This is a guide to help you read the bible and think about God's word every week because the writer pointed to the fact that at the beginning of each devotion there is a precept assigned to each scripture, in adding to the message for each day. So it's like a diary to help you get started with God and for me, the scriptures and the explanation are connecting well.

I have given it a 3 out of 4 because the writer knew what she wrote about
LM5CA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by LM5CA »

A very vivid review. Points to the fact that the devotional inspire readers to find a stronger spiritual life which includes open communication with God. Interesting to note that each section is written without complications and can be easily used. The review is careful to point out that book has good qualities but those who do not adhere to the Christian way of living may not find it interesting.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I like the concept of breaking down the teachings of the Bible to fit into every week of the year. It encourages people to read the word of God and apply it to their lives. Thanks for the detailed review.
stedape
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stedape.html
Latest Review: Puffy and the Formidable Foe by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by stedape »

First Fruits is a religious devotional. It is targeted at Christians who wish to have a deeper walk with God. I might read this soon
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

First Fruits by Susan Butler is a religious nonfiction title for a deeper understanding of God and biblical Scriptures. I appreciate the blank spaces per week for personal notes. Congrats on BOTD.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Alice in Wonderland
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 31

Post by Alice in Wonderland »

A nice book. I love reading this kind of book as it helps to make faith stronger as ever.
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

This review is well written cpru68 i am interested of devotional book that inspire not only motivates it is welcoming for i would like to hear from God on things that are very dear to me. Though i am in that process with prayer and commitment of reading the Word i will be able to build an effective communication with Him.
Thank you for this i would like to read the book to get my own views and conclusions
shanettepienaar1971

Post by shanettepienaar1971 »

I like that it isn't a long, drawn out affair. It's short, to the point and full of love and meaning. Enjoyed your review.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 10 Jun 2018, 04:00 This is such a great idea for a book. I am not a religious person at all, but I have read the Bible (I know it's weird, but I like the stories). I think that a book that takes you through the teachings one week at a time is a wonderful idea. I love that there is also room for you to write in your own thoughts.
I agree that it would be worthwhile to focus her chapters more on what the heading is. A good roadmap of what her weekly thoughts and ideas are would really tighten up the book.
Would this be something that you would use on a week to week basis?
Thanks for your great review! I really enjoyed it :)
I am religious, and I greatly appreciate your different perspective. Thanks for commenting!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

CaitlynLynch wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 02:48 It's a shame the author didn't stick with her own specified topic for each week. Perhaps some rearranging of the texts would help with this.
I have seen a few comments that mention this. I completely agree with you.
Heather En
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heather-en.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by Heather En »

It's a great idea that that the book is divided into weeks. It ensures that the reader genuinely understands the story bit by bit. Thanks for the review.
bluing

Post by bluing »

it interesting that book can be group into various stage by weeks or years, the important thing is that good book is still available in the today.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”