Review by Bookmermaid -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Bookmermaid
2018 Reading Goal: 24
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 208
Currently Reading: Will on the Hill
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookmermaid.html
Latest Review: Rowan Wood Legends by Olivia Wildenstein

Review by Bookmermaid -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Bookmermaid » 07 Jun 2018, 23:46

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I grew up on the tenet of “Garbage in, Garbage out” a saying that emphasized the importance of exposing oneself to uplifting messages and stories. And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White is about “Treasures in, Treasures out” as it focuses on individuals maximizing their potential by understanding their mental capabilities and making conscious choices to choose goodness over wrongdoing and challenging paths over fixed paths.

And Then I Met Margaret comprises stories of personal transformation in twenty-one chapters. It begins with a litany of famous inspirational authors and speakers such as Stephen Covey, Deepak Chopra, and Brian Tracy. White allows the reader a vista into his many influences as he openly shares his active pursuit to live a meaningful life through his attendance of spiritual retreats or inspirational seminars. Then, the author surprises the reader by listing many ordinary persons with little or no status that he met who taught him invaluable lessons. The stories are independent. However, the retold memories collectively chronicle Rob’s growth from boyhood to manhood. They share the intimate details of some of his failures and transformational actions that created fulfillment and success in his life.

Frequently while reading this book, I encountered a line, which I wanted to copy and paste to add to my favourite quotes such as, “If there is any magic genie in a bottle, it’s the magic that is ‘bottled up’ deep inside each of us,” and “Kind acts demonstrate the height of love.” White’s stories are simple, touching, unique and unpretentious.

My favorite chapter is “Shakespeare in My Left Pants Pocket.” When I saw the name of this chapter, I mused at the strange title. As the narrative unfolded, I could easily relate to the gut-wrenching decisions the narrator experienced. Another chapter that I particularly liked was "Running with the Bulls," as it celebrates the importance of an easygoing nature. The narratives convey Rob's Joie de vivre and appreciation of the power and frailty of human relationships.

Rob White’s memoir deserves a 4 out of 4 stars rating as the book successfully captures twenty different life experiences in vivid detail. The first person narration distills the precise measure of information to create brief and engaging narratives. The informal, conversational tone and the minimalist storytelling style of Rob railroad the reader to absorb more of his life stories. I could not pinpoint a single narrative I disliked, or I felt was contrived. However, I was alarmed at the opening lines, which I felt was too close to the opening lines of Tolstoy’s Anna Karenina. I was hard-pressed to detect editing errors that hampered the smooth flow of the text. Hats off to White for this treasure. I would recommend this text particularly to male and female audiences from ages eleven and upwards.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bookmermaid's review? Post a comment saying so!

Laura Bach
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 587
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-bach.html
Latest Review: A Dress the Color of the Sky by Jennifer Irwin

Post by Laura Bach » 26 Jun 2018, 13:16

Thank you for this nice review! It is clear you enjoyed the book a lot. I never thought that the opening has an Anna Karenina feel to it, but it is an interesting point.

Emmy-jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Emmy-jay » 26 Jun 2018, 17:44

Wow..... Trust me you've given me more reasons to read that book, cos I can see it's really interesting

Emmy-jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Emmy-jay » 29 Jun 2018, 00:55

Before you need others to believe in you, I always tell my self that you must first believe in yourself, life is a challenge on its self that we must all pass through, but we must know when to differentiate the right path from the wrong path... This book serves as a good influence to teenagers growing up, showing them what it means to live a meaningful life.

Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: Who Trespass Against Us by D.P. Conway

Post by Mely918 » 19 Aug 2018, 18:28

I really want to read this book now! It seems incredibly inspirational and I really like the quotes from it that you included. This is a very insightful review. Great job! :)

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Force Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 21 Aug 2018, 07:18

Thank you for such an insightful review. You've certainly done great justice to the book. I especially liked your quote choices as they've reinforced the piece's read worthiness.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”