Official Review: A Widow's Window by Hope ifeyinwa nwakwesi

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Official Review: A Widow's Window by Hope ifeyinwa nwakwesi

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Widow's Window" by Hope ifeyinwa nwakwesi.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Widow’s Window is a non-fiction memoir written by Hope Ifeyinwa Nwakwesi. It chronicles her experiences as a young widow suddenly faced with the challenge of single-handedly raising her children after the sudden death of her husband. I liked the pun in the words ‘Window’ and ‘Widow.’ The death of a spouse makes a woman a widow and creates an opening in her life (a window) through which the world can see her pain and loneliness. She lists the five most dreadful emotions associated with widowhood as fear, pain, grief, shame, and loneliness. She uses some of these emotions to describe the change to widowhood in this quote which I found heart-rending:
At the news of the death of the husband, his woman’s life takes a dramatic turnaround – she automatically wears a crown crafted in fear, decorated by pain, to which the world in joy colors with shame and fixing it on grief as the title is bestowed to be ‘widow’.
The author’s personal experience makes her a suitable writer of this memoir. Readers can identify with her easily and know that her writing is borne out of her experience of a similar pain, and not theory. She shares some painful scenarios she encountered as a widow and a lone parent, how she felt, and how she handled her challenges with a positive attitude. By adding real life excerpts of the widowhood experience of other women, the content of the book is richer and the messages in the book come alive.

She advocates that society should not add more pain to the widow’s already distorted emotions by enclosing her in what she termed the “Corset of the Hood.” She advocates that widows should strive to develop inner strength through prayer despite the alienation, segregation, disregard, and abuses they are subjected to.

Chapter two was my favorite chapter because it spoke to me on a personal level. She talks about all the questions that accompany bereavement which she calls the ‘if, why and how.’ She advocates that one must first destroy these questions in order to move on. We should strive to trust God in spite of our pain and confusion in times of grief. Chapter three contained this profound statement:
True healing in time is all about feeding your faith by starving your fear and refusing to grieve no matter the pain.
The book is full of apt scriptures from the Bible to buttress the points the author makes in the book. She combines poetry and prose in her writing. A nice poem in the book is The Widow’s Creed on page 18. She uses a lot of similes and metaphorical statements to illustrate the dark season of life that grief brings.

I recommend this book to anyone seeking healing after the loss of a friend or a close relative. It is written from a Christian perspective but can bring encouragement to anyone because most of the principles advocated here are universal. I feel the book would have benefited from another round of editing to eliminate some grammatical errors and improve the structure of the book so I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

A Widow's Window
View: on Bookshelves

Like CambaReviewer's review? Post a comment saying so!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

The story seems to catch any readers heart. I am happy that this book related to you in a personal level. Even though it is a non-fiction memoir, and one of my favourite genres this would not be the first book of my choice. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 23:33 The story seems to catch any readers heart. I am happy that this book related to you in a personal level. Even though it is a non-fiction memoir, and one of my favourite genres this would not be the first book of my choice. Thank you for your review!
I agree with Sahani about the story being able to catch any reader’s heart. Likewise, I’m happy that it related to you on a personal level, and it does seem like a really inspiring read. Thank you for the lovely review!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 15 Jun 2018, 23:33 The story seems to catch any readers heart. I am happy that this book related to you in a personal level. Even though it is a non-fiction memoir, and one of my favourite genres this would not be the first book of my choice. Thank you for your review!
Thanks for your kind words. I took a chance on it and it sort of paid off. Cheers!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

gen_g wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 00:47
I agree with Sahani about the story being able to catch any reader’s heart. Likewise, I’m happy that it related to you on a personal level, and it does seem like a really inspiring read. Thank you for the lovely review!
Thanks for your kind words and for taking time out to read my review. Cheers!
DathanReeves
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dathanreeves.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by DathanReeves »

I know many widows and widowers, it would be nice to understand the parts about them they themselves are either: locked away in the subconcious, or are to paimful to admit. I'm going to fimd this book and read it.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I am excited to read this after reading your review! I love the excerpts you included and the overall tone and message in it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review, I’m astonished that anybody should go through ’alienation, segregation, disregard, and abuses’ for something that they are not in control of.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I love the excerpts you quoted in your review. I find that reading this book will be edifying because this author's testimony in trusting God despite all her fears, pains, suffering etc is what will inspire people to have faith in God. I love the phrase 'Feed your faith, starve your fears.' Thank you for your lovely review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

This book discusses a very touching experience in any woman's life. I became empathetic towards the author just reading your review. Thanks for the beautifully worded review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Your review is so beautiful. As a wife, I can only imagine what it would be like i my husband were to pass away and leave me with our kids. I am looking forward to reading this woman's account of her story.
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

I feel that this book is filled with thick emotion. I might read this woman's memoir someday, thanks for the amazing review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

DathanReeves wrote: 16 Jun 2018, 14:23 I know many widows and widowers, it would be nice to understand the parts about them they themselves are either: locked away in the subconcious, or are to paimful to admit. I'm going to fimd this book and read it.
I know many too. I like the fact that the author writes from her own personal experience. It makes her suggestions to other widows more readily acceptable. Thanks for reading my review and commenting! :tiphat:
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

daniya__shah3 wrote: 19 Jun 2018, 14:30 I feel that this book is filled with thick emotion. I might read this woman's memoir someday, thanks for the amazing review!
You are right, Daniya. It is filled with thick emotion.Thanks for your kind words!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha

liftedbooks wrote: 18 Jun 2018, 09:58 Your review is so beautiful. As a wife, I can only imagine what it would be like i my husband were to pass away and leave me with our kids. I am looking forward to reading this woman's account of her story.
Hmm! Thanks for your kind words. Th author captures her deep sense of loss and grief in this book and shares some other people's experiences too. it is indeed a gruesome experience.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”