Review by Lee_Reads -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Lee_Reads
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-reads.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by Lee_Reads -- And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by Lee_Reads » 06 Jun 2018, 22:41

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rob White shares 21 personal stories of lessons learned from unforeseen gurus in And Then I Met Margaret: Stories of Personal Transformation. Like other boys in Rob White’s hometown, he is expected to graduate from high school and find employment at the local mill or factory. Eventually, Rob breaks away and becomes a successful businessman. These stories track his personal growth and examine what is important in life. His Aunt, someone who rips his t-shirt, a guy who sells peanuts and a little girl named Margaret help him experience sudden realizations or "aha" moments.

I enjoyed the values highlighted, ranging from the importance of being your authentic self to taking responsibility for your actions. Each chapter contains a myth Rob believed and the reality he discovered. The myth he believed in chapter five was - I can wish, but I am powerless to insist. In this story he takes a brave stance at a young age, defending what he believes is right. Then, Rob White collects all these valuable lessons learned and generously passes them on to those in need. It's beautiful to watch the student become the teacher. The wisdom offered is priceless.

My favorite thing about this inspiring book was that it made me ponder my life and the guidance I have received from random teachers. It reminded me to stop and evaluate my current situation. There is always something new to discover. And it’s so often the case that the most important lessons are learned accidentally and not sought out. They happen as we go about our daily life, forcing us to grow. Many of the mental trappings addressed in this book were unraveled in ways I had never considered. Now we can all take a step back and skip that expensive seven-day retreat.

Without hesitation, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I don't have any complaints. At times it made me laugh out loud. The story is thoughtfully pieced together in chronological order. It's a motivational book that pushes the reader down a path of self-discovery. I couldn’t put it down.

I would recommend this book to readers who appreciate self-help books or to those who fancy short stories. Overall, I think all readers could gain a bit of knowledge from this one. Be bold, confident, work hard, reflect, be observant and maybe you will find the right teacher at the right time.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lee_Reads's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”