Official Review: 69 Facts About Russian Women + Some Extra.

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: 69 Facts About Russian Women + Some Extra.

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "69 Facts About Russian Women + Some Extra." by Alisa Lebedeva.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you have any friends that are from another country? Have you ever asked them about their superstitions, culture and beliefs? Are you interested in what people from different countries are like? If the answer to any of these is yes, then 69 Facts About Russian Women. Plus Some Extra might be the book for you.

Alisa Lebedeva grew up in the Ukraine. When looking at books on travelling to Russia or the Ukraine, she was not satisfied with the information. Sure most of them taught you the language (which you would never be able to learn from a book even to grasp for a 2 week trip.) But, what about what to expect from the people? None of them covered that important detail. So, Ms. Lebedeva sat down to write her own book.

So, you ask, what exactly do we learn? Well, I'm glad you asked. Let me share. The author gives us 69 facts about Russian Women that would be helpful in any dealings with that culture. For example, if you decide to take a Russian woman out on a date, don't expect to go "dutch treat." Otherwise, you'll never get another date. If you want to buy someone in Russia flowers, don't get them an even number unless someone in their family has died. Or, if you decide to visit someone's home, don't even think about whistling inside the building. It's bad luck! Think those are fascinating? Pick up the book; there's more!

The only downside of this book is that it isn't professionally edited. In my opinion, with a book such as this, the downside is not so much of a downer. You can hear her accent coming through the pages, and I think it makes the information all that much more meaningful, especially as it is coming from someone authentic to the area. But, if you are a stickler for good grammar and spelling no matter what, this might get on your nerves.

I don't know if you can tell, but I absolutely loved reading this book. I only wish that the author had included even MORE of these facts for our benefit. Unfortunately, with our rating system, I cannot give this book a perfect score. So, it's with a somewhat heavy heart that I rate 69 Facts About Russian Women. Plus Some Extra 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend this to anyone who has an interest in the Russian culture or just enjoys fun facts about other countries. For my part, I hope the author writes more like this.

69 Facts About Russian Women + Some Extra.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

It is nice to find books like this which are very informative. I guess getting to know a countrie's cultural dos and don'ts are better before visiting a country. Thanks for sharing the important of this book through your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The cover does not scream "self-published," so I expected it to be professionally edited. But even when it's not, this sounds like one of those that you'd want to give a try anyway. :)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I enjoy fun facts about almost anything, so this seems really interesting despite the editing woes. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 00:11 It is nice to find books like this which are very informative. I guess getting to know a countrie's cultural dos and don'ts are better before visiting a country. Thanks for sharing the important of this book through your review!
Thanks for commenting! Sadly, we don't really think much about this before visiting. We're more focused on the language. :)
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

inaramid wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 01:48 The cover does not scream "self-published," so I expected it to be professionally edited. But even when it's not, this sounds like one of those that you'd want to give a try anyway. :)
She states in the book that she purposely left it unedited. She wanted the original spirit of the Russian to come through. So, I can understand where she's coming from. It didn't bother me too much, but I know it would bother others.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SamSim wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 06:25 I enjoy fun facts about almost anything, so this seems really interesting despite the editing woes. Great review!
Thank you! I really appreciate the comment!
—Neil Gaiman
Social Butterfly
Currently Reading: Yesterday
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-social-butterfly.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B01LFV5SI6

Post by Social Butterfly »

I really enjoy learning about other cultures. War and Peace definitely got me interested in Russians and I will love to pick up this book for the modern funny approach despite the errors. By the way, I love your review. It's really conversational and fresh
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I think a guide like this might prove to be even more helpful than the languagee books; you end up needing a translator anyway. Knowing about the culture is more important in my opinion, and will save you from a number of awkward situations.

Really sad the way poor editing can take the shine off a good book though.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a lighthearted and fun read! I love learning more about new cultures, so this will be a great book. Thanks for the lovely review!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This book does sound interesting. I am always up for learning more about other cultures. Thanks for the review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I enjoyed reading your review very much because your enthusiasm for the book is obvious. And, rightly so. Just by reading the title it caught my attention. I love learning about different cultures, especially everyday facts and I totally agree, it can be endearing that her accent can be heard through the pages, although maybe the editor should add a disclaimer or explanation of some sort.
Thank you!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Social Butterfly wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 09:17 I really enjoy learning about other cultures. War and Peace definitely got me interested in Russians and I will love to pick up this book for the modern funny approach despite the errors. By the way, I love your review. It's really conversational and fresh
Thanks! I appreciate it. This was definitely enlightening for me.
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Supergirl1 wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 09:20 I think a guide like this might prove to be even more helpful than the languagee books; you end up needing a translator anyway. Knowing about the culture is more important in my opinion, and will save you from a number of awkward situations.

Really sad the way poor editing can take the shine off a good book though.
I agree about the culture over language. I don't know why we don't ever think about that. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Lunastella wrote: 11 Jun 2018, 13:09 I enjoyed reading your review very much because your enthusiasm for the book is obvious. And, rightly so. Just by reading the title it caught my attention. I love learning about different cultures, especially everyday facts and I totally agree, it can be endearing that her accent can be heard through the pages, although maybe the editor should add a disclaimer or explanation of some sort.
Thank you!
It was fascinating. We should probably write a book like this for other cultures coming to America! :D
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”