Review by alisonedgee -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
alisonedgee
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 22
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Review by alisonedgee -- The Ultimate Guide to Zombies

Post by alisonedgee »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Ultimate Guide to Zombies" by Dave Robertson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies is a short but thorough guide to all things zombie. Robertson traces the history of zombies from the original Haitian voodoo zombies, through to the Romero creation we know today. He discusses the anatomy of the zombie brain, how to destroy a zombie, and what best to destroy it with.

To begin with we are given a brief introduction to the book, but not to the author. Robertson is a writer, but not a writer of zombie fiction. This being the ‘ultimate guide’ it would have been a smart choice for Robertson to establish his credentials as either an expert through his work, or at least a big fan.

This initial problem is swept away by the first few chapters. Robertson’s passion for all things zombie is evident. His tone is very casual and informal, it feels at times that you are talking about your favourite films with a fellow fan. I feel this was a wise choice as the subject isn’t all that serious, it wouldn’t be appropriate to take on a formal tone of voice.

After each chapter of the book the author points the reader to related media that has either been mentioned, or would be of further interest. After the pop culture section there is a list of culturally significant movies/shows/games to check out. After a section on zombie themed weddings he provides a list of websites for the readers’ entertainment. This again displays Robertson’s obvious love of the genre and his willingness to get more people involved.

Robertson takes his guide even further. Once establishing the history of zombies there is a chapter on anatomy. He discusses what parts of the brain are most likely to be re-animated when one becomes a zombie, and of course how best to destroy it. He goes on to write about weapons and weighs the pros and cons of a variety of styles. He takes us through zombie themed events that are happening all around the world including weddings, fun runs, theme park attractions and so on. While I would have been content to stay on the topic of zombies in pop culture, I found expanding the focus to be both interesting and informative.

The only major fault I felt brought the quality down was the amount of lists used. The chapter on memorable zombies read almost as a Buzzfeed listicle. There is a pretty lengthy list of all the different names that have been used for zombies. These didn’t read very well within the overall context of the book.

I give this a strong 3 out of 4 stars. Strong recommendation to any fans of the zombie genre.

The Ultimate Guide to Zombies
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like alisonedgee's review? Post a comment saying so!

Cotwani
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 32
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 10
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Cotwani »

Thanks for the thorough review. I actually used to think zombies were ficticious, just like the boogieman! Hope the author explains why they eat people's brains!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Helen_Combe
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 150
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. I enjoyed the book too. I even found myself watching old Zombie movies on Youtube.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

Cotwani wrote:
19 Jun 2018, 23:20
Thanks for the thorough review. I actually used to think zombies were ficticious, just like the boogieman! Hope the author explains why they eat people's brains!
he does go into that in quite some detail actually, its really interesting how it came about and how it's gotten confusing and doesn't quite apply to all the different types

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

Helen_Combe wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 09:59
Great review. I enjoyed the book too. I even found myself watching old Zombie movies on Youtube.
love that, being totally honest i did finish this then immediately watch dawn of the dead

JR Mercier
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

I need to read this. Nothing scares me more than zombies. I can deal with spiders, natural disasters, missing pets. All of those I can deal with. A zombie? I'm terrified.
Your review is great. I love that you respect his love for zombies and that you don't ridicule him at all.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Nmesoma
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Nmesoma »

A book on zombies, I would love that. Maybe then, I'll get to know more about them than they simply like human brains and they walk funny and talk funny and lives for the darkness. I enjoyed your review, it was descriptive and informative. I look forward to delving into a zombified world soon.

SweetMelissaV2131
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetmelissav2131.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by SweetMelissaV2131 »

This sounds like a book I need to put on my to-read list. Being a fan of most things zombie, although I find them more comical than scary. Having grown up a George Romero fan and also living near where Night of the Living Dead and the rest of the franchise was filmed, this book sounds like a fun read. I also did not realize that zombies were actually real. I just thought they were grouped in the category of creative makeup and scary movies. Great review!

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

JR Mercier wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:17
I need to read this. Nothing scares me more than zombies. I can deal with spiders, natural disasters, missing pets. All of those I can deal with. A zombie? I'm terrified.
Your review is great. I love that you respect his love for zombies and that you don't ridicule him at all.
ha, you big wuss, you'll love the walking dead.

thank you, it is because i too am a zombie nerd :P
Last edited by alisonedgee on 21 Jun 2018, 08:44, edited 1 time in total.

JR Mercier
2018 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

alisonedgee wrote:
21 Jun 2018, 08:30
JR Mercier wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 12:17
ha, you big wuss, you'll love the walking dead.

thank you, it it because i too am a zombie nerd :P
It took me three months to finish the first ten minutes of episode 1 of The Walking Dead. I wish I was lying but when I saw that little girl I ran for the hills. :lol: SO yes. I am a big wuss. :lol: :tiphat:
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor

Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I love this review. It's always good to have a reliable resource when preparing for a potential zombie apocalypse. Have you ever seen this one from the CDC? https://www.cdc.gov/phpr/zombie/index.htm

alisonedgee
Currently Reading:

Post by alisonedgee »

Nmesoma wrote:
20 Jun 2018, 14:47
A book on zombies, I would love that. Maybe then, I'll get to know more about them than they simply like human brains and they walk funny and talk funny and lives for the darkness. I enjoyed your review, it was descriptive and informative. I look forward to delving into a zombified world soon.
cheers!
yeah i'm pretty nerdy so i'm quite into the history and theories and 'science' behind the myth.

gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: James Grant by Stanislas Yassukovich

Post by gen_g »

I've always been intrigued by zombie lore, and this seems to be something which seems to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks for the review!

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 60
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: An Excellent Treatment of HIV/AIDS by Jean Bosco Sahaha
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq »

Certainly it is a good book for the fans of zombie genre. And especially for zombie minded people. Thanks for this interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”