Review by Nena_Morena -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Nena_Morena
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading: Born of the sun
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Nena_Morena -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Nena_Morena » 05 Jun 2018, 20:31

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are so many reasons for why people should read this book, I don’t have time to talk about all of them, but I would like to tell you about some. I thought I wasn’t the type of person that would like self- help books, but I’m glad that And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White proved me wrong.

This incredible book is a collection of true anecdotes that describe life lessons that the author learned from ordinary people, and after applying them to his life, he shared with others. My favorite stories told by Rob White in this book are the story of his aunt Theresa who showed him that kind acts are not driven by self-interest, but by love for others, the story of his English teacher Dr.Tucker that taught him that you never win when you compromise your self-integrity, the story of Rose Kennedy who reminded him that self-confidence is essential to succeed in life, and the story of his old friend Peter who showed him that we all have great worth.

As I was reading the prologue, I thought I was going to receive some helpful advice on how to find my inner happiness, but once I finished reading the first chapter, I knew this book was more than that. Every story is taken from real events that aren’t always positive, but the author shows us how he seized these opportunities to learn from his mistakes and not give up. What I appreciate most about Mr. White is that he came from a small town, and despite all the odds, he became a successful businessman. His courage and determination were very inspiring, and I admire his talent at using his good and bad experiences to encourage other people. I believe part of his message is telling us to do the same with one another.

Each chapter starts with a myth in which the author used to believe but later found to be false. All of the realities discovered by him gave me a lot to think about, but the one that touched me the most was “If it is to be, it is up to me.” Too often we give ourselves excuses for why we can’t do something, but if we trust more in our abilities, success is more likely to come. I found the author to be a genuinely excellent storyteller; the stories were short, engaging and inspirational. The tone that Mr.White used was intimate, encouraging, and humorous. The book was well written, and it had a pleasant pace.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. And Then I Met Margaret didn’t tell me but showed me how to improve my life. Not only can we humble ourselves and learn from others, but we can also be generous enough to listen to those in need and help them as we were helped. I recommend this read to anyone, even those who are wary of this genre at first.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Nena_Morena's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”