Official Review: The Gratitude Effect

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Gratitude Effect

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Gratitude Effect" by Richard J. Cavaness.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you live your life in gratitude? Or do you focus on the negative circumstances that surround you? Richard Cavaness wants to make sure that we are living each day with an attitude of thankfulness.

The Gratitude Effect has 15 short chapters teaching us how to form a new habit of gratitude. At the end of the chapter, he gives you the key principle to think about along with questions to consider and practical ways to apply the lesson. One of the lessons discusses writing handwritten thank you notes to one person on each day of the year. Mr. Cavaness also cites scientific studies that prove gratefulness boosts your health and can even lower your risk of heart attacks.

Lately, I've been feeling pretty ungrateful, choosing to focus on my overwhelming circumstances instead of my abundance of blessings. So, I felt that this book came at an appropriate time in my life. It has started me on a journey to focus on all that I have instead of all that I lack.

However, the book did get a bit repetitive in spots. The author seems to reiterate the benefits gratitude can have on your health in multiple chapters. This might just be to drive the point home, but it felt a bit much to me.

In addition, the book starts out with two and a half pages of positive reviews for the book. I felt that the author should have let the book speak for itself instead of inundating the reader with accolades from other readers. It seemed to be a bit too self-focused for a book on thankfulness. After the conclusion, there were also several pages on booking the author to come speak. I felt this would be better saved for the author's website as, again, it seems too self-centered for a book of this sort.

On a positive note, I believe that this book would be appropriate for a wide audience. Mr. Cavaness does discuss a higher power and being thankful that you were created. Nevertheless, he leaves room for multiple religions to be in view here. While the author seems to be coming from a Christian viewpoint, he doesn't leave out those that have differing beliefs and views of God.

I am grateful that I was able to review this book and start on my journey to a more positive life. For this reason, I rate The Gratitude Effect 3 out of 4 stars. It's due to the repetitive nature of the book as well as the focus on the author at the beginning and end that this did not earn full marks. Still, I recommend it to those who find themselves ungrateful or who are looking to improve their lives.

The Gratitude Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

Being thankful does bring positive vibes not just to the grateful person but also to the people around him/her, especially to those he/she is thankful for. I also practice the habit of giving thank you notes. I'm an old-fashioned person so I also appreciate receiving and reading handwritten notes as well.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 12:06 Lately, I've been feeling pretty ungrateful, choosing to focus on my overwhelming circumstances instead of my abundance of blessings. So, I felt that this book came at an appropriate time in my life. It has started me on a journey to focus on all that I have instead of all that I lack.
This is how I feel recently as well. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check this one out!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Riszell wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 05:44 Being thankful does bring positive vibes not just to the grateful person but also to the people around him/her, especially to those he/she is thankful for. I also practice the habit of giving thank you notes. I'm an old-fashioned person so I also appreciate receiving and reading handwritten notes as well.
Thanks for commenting! I have been making more of an effort to send thank you notes. Especially handwritten ones!
—Neil Gaiman
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

SamSim wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 07:36
kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 12:06 Lately, I've been feeling pretty ungrateful, choosing to focus on my overwhelming circumstances instead of my abundance of blessings. So, I felt that this book came at an appropriate time in my life. It has started me on a journey to focus on all that I have instead of all that I lack.
This is how I feel recently as well. Thanks for the recommendation - I'll check this one out!
This book certainly isn't a fix all, but it did have some good advice that I'm trying hard to follow. Thanks for your comment! I am always appreciative when someone takes the time to read and comment. Good luck in finding ways to be more grateful!
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

The book sounds inspiring and I am glad you found some good advice to apply in your own life. Unfortunately, I am not suprised that the book contains some repetition. While the subject matter seems interesting, it seems more suitable for a magazine article rather than an entire book. Thanks for a, well-written, insightful review as always. :)
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

kandscreeley wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 12:06 In addition, the book starts out with two and a half pages of positive reviews for the book. I felt that the author should have let the book speak for itself instead of inundating the reader with accolades from other readers. It seemed to be a bit too self-focused for a book on thankfulness. After the conclusion, there were also several pages on booking the author to come speak. I felt this would be better saved for the author's website as, again, it seems too self-centered for a book of this sort.
I agree with your insight here... it's a bit ironic to be self-focused in a book of this nature. It's a bit of a detraction in my eyes. Even so, I think I could benefit from the content and grow in an attitude of gratitude. Thanks for the insightful review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

bookowlie wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 09:23 The book sounds inspiring and I am glad you found some good advice to apply in your own life. Unfortunately, I am not suprised that the book contains some repetition. While the subject matter seems interesting, it seems more suitable for a magazine article rather than an entire book. Thanks for a, well-written, insightful review as always. :)
Now that I think about it, you're completely right. It would definitely make a GREAT magazine article. Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. A nice twist on the self-help ’be positive’ to change it to ’be grateful’. It sounds less aggressive.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an introspective and inspiring read - thanks for the review!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I'm glad you were able to find this book and gain a positive perspective from it. I agree on the excessive presence of accolades detracting from the feel. I hope things get better for you, personally. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This sounds like a winner. I especially like that it has concrete tasks like the thank you card idea.
Afajo2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Afajo2 »

I am grateful that I was able to review this book and start on my journey to a more positive life.
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I don't know why it is so difficult at times to be content with what we have. I am trying really hard to be more positive and thankful for what I have. At first I thought the gratitude effect of the title refers to the impact of our gratitude on others, but I guess it's more about its effect on ourselves. I used to think if I was content with what I had, I automatically stopped wishing for more. I've learnt they are not mutually exclusive, actually. Thanks for a great review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

cristinaro wrote: 07 Jun 2018, 10:07 I don't know why it is so difficult at times to be content with what we have. I am trying really hard to be more positive and thankful for what I have. At first I thought the gratitude effect of the title refers to the impact of our gratitude on others, but I guess it's more about its effect on ourselves. I used to think if I was content with what I had, I automatically stopped wishing for more. I've learnt they are not mutually exclusive, actually. Thanks for a great review!
I recently read a book called The Kindness Challenge and the author focuses on how the reader should be kind to others. But she also explains how her studies have shown the impact one's kindness has on other's. Even when they have no clue you are making any special effort, your efforts have a positive impact on those around you.

I like books that have a topic similar to this one. I frequently find that they are redundant but the redundancy is a good reminder to me that the pointis important, so don't forget it!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”