Official Review: 101 Things To Do with a Dead Body

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: 101 Things To Do with a Dead Body

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "101 Things To Do with a Dead Body" by Jason Blake.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

101 Things to Do with a Dead Body is a non-fiction collection of funny cartoons by Jason Blake and Emily Caesar. It turns a normally sad subject, dead bodies, into a cause for “reuse and recycle.” Each black-and-white sketch is labelled with another constructive use for a dead body, such as a surfboard, a speed bump, and a dartboard. In the same vein as the 1989 film Weekend at Bernie’s, a dead body can come in handy when the need arises for a person to be present at a meeting, dinner party, etc. I mean, no live person in their right mind wants to sit next to your crazy, drunk uncle at Thanksgiving dinner.

As you may have guessed, this book is a quick, humorous read. It is basically all artwork and no story, although there are lessons to be learned in the latter sections. Since each cartoon is a standalone based on the main theme, the pages don’t have to be read in any order. As such, the book is a good choice to read while in a doctor’s waiting room or parked in a school carpool line.

The concept is very inventive, but I expected a bit more to the book besides a short title for each sketch. It would have been more interesting if an intriguing remark had been included with each sketch, in the style of The New Yorker magazine’s cartoons. In a few instances, there is a comment in the form of a speech bubble, but nothing too thought-provoking. Also, the text inside the speech bubbles is so tiny that it is almost unreadable.

Many of the uses make practical sense. A crime might be prevented if there is a person seen through the window while you’re away on vacation or if an extra security guard is visible at the mall. However, the concept of using a dead body as a casket model is positively cringeworthy. Can you imagine a bereaved family member being shown a casket with a person inside, dead or alive? Even within the boundaries of dark humor, some visuals cross the line into bad taste. On the other hand, the cartoon about leaving a dead body on your ex’s doorstep (instead of a bag of dog poo) is hilarious.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. It is an entertaining read with quite a few creative ways to “recycle” a dead body. I would recommend the book to fans of bathroom-style humor and silly hijinks. The book is ultimately uplifting, although that depends on your sense of humor. I can’t say you will learn anything of great educational value. Still, laughter is supposed to be the best medicine, so there is great value in that.

101 Things To Do with a Dead Body
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

This humorous book sounds right up my morbid alley. I occasionally enjoy books with no educational value. The joy of just being entertained is a nice getaway from thinking and I am okay with that. Laughter is good medicine. Thank you for your honest review. Another addition to my bookshelf.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Funny books are relaxing and are quite good if you want to take a break from the serious books. Nice review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

A fairly dark idea for a humorous book of cartoons, but that can have its own off-colour charm! I am pretty open-minded about humour as long as it doesn’t cross TOO far into the realms of bad taste! Thanks for your review.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Lol, what an interesting concept! A book detailing things to to with a dead Body sounds original. Too bad it lacks substance. It isn't real my cup of tea, but I am glad you enjoy it. Thank you for the great review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kashosi
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kashosi.html
Latest Review: Real Secrets Of Life by Krishna Jagarnath

Post by Kashosi »

I am not much into cartoons but i enjoy humor for i can always think of that what made me laugh when i am sad and that's problem solve. I will read the book just to laugh and i know in humor there is more frequently the most powerful lessons to learn.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

I'd love to read this too!
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Post by JR Mercier »

My dark sense of humour is delighfully intrigued. This sounds like something I want to read at a family dinner just to see what reaction I'll get.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Great review. Totally not my kind of book but I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

I read the title of this book and thought: “what could you possibly do with a dead body except dispose of it?” This author must have a great sense of humor. I find myself smiling after reading your review, especially the part about leaving the body on your ex’s doorstep. Thank you for the cool review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Weekend at Bernie's is one of my guilty pleasures, and this weird book may be my next one, although I agree with your recommended changes, like more thought-provoking captions for the cartoons. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love the idea of this book. It could certainly be very funny if, as you say, a short remark was included with each drawing. Still, it might be worth a look. Thanks for another great review!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds quite humorous and simultaneously a bit disturbing. When I saw the cover I immediately thought of Southpark and think fans of the show might enjoy this type of humor. Great review; I like the examples you provided of what to expect.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

arcie72 wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 23:11 This humorous book sounds right up my morbid alley. I occasionally enjoy books with no educational value. The joy of just being entertained is a nice getaway from thinking and I am okay with that. Laughter is good medicine. Thank you for your honest review. Another addition to my bookshelf.
THIS! And also, I LOVE illustrated books - which is probably why I like children's books so much - so the idea of pictures being used to illustrate *lol!* the point really has me ready to go get this. Like, now!
Naheed2018
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Naheed2018 »

:lol2: was it's wonderful it's seem to like that a fun of the book it has been used many thinks with a fun of reality.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”