Official Review: The Business Owner's Guide to Financial ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Official Review: The Business Owner's Guide to Financial ...

Post by dragonet07 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Business Owner's Guide to Financial Freedom" by Mark J. Kohler with Randall A. Luebke.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Financial freedom—the ability to live almost debt-free without needing to work—is everyone’s dream for retirement, and small business owners are no exception. Yet when you must rely on yourself not only for your own paychecks but for the financial health of an entire business, how can you begin to think about retirement? That’s where The Business Owner’s Guide to Financial Freedom: What Wall Street Isn’t Telling You by Mark J. Kohler comes into play.

The Business Owner’s Guide to Financial Freedom takes readers through everything they need to secure their financial freedom as entrepreneurs. From assessing your business’s value to estate planning, Kohler provides all the tools which he, as a CPA, has found necessary for financial freedom and independence. In addition to his own nuggets of wisdom, Kohler includes diagrams for visual learners and commentary from Randy Luebke, Kohler’s trusted financial advisor and certified Investment Advisor Representative (IAR). Built upon years of experience, this book is as complete a guide to this subject as you can find.

As a budding entrepreneur, I am just beginning to experience the struggles of running a small business, and I am fortunate to have found this book. Kohler does not just tell readers how to retire; he shows them how to run an overall healthy business which will benefit everyone involved, including potential buyers. Of course, this information is most valuable to companies at least as big as LLCs. Sole proprietorships will find useful gems for growing your business or that can be adapted for smaller businesses, such as the 4 x 4 Financial Independence Plan, strategic planning, and investing in Wall Street. However, sections about things like building a wealth management team and selling your business will not be useful until your business grows beyond a sole proprietorship.

What is most unique about this book is that it does not focus solely on investment or growing your business. Rather, it explores multiple avenues for improving an entrepreneur’s financial situation: optimizing your business, eliminating bad debt, consulting with an IAR, and, yes, investing in products like insurance. Kohler takes the reader step-by-step through his and Luebke’s financial independence plan, emphasizing the importance of following these steps sequentially and why. Kohler also makes it clear that a diverse stocks-and-bonds portfolio is not the only way to grow your wealth. He suggests it might not even be the best way, depending on your situation. Instead, he details such solutions as investing more in your current business, buying and renting out real estate, and even starting or investing in new businesses.

Admittedly, the subject matter is not the most exciting, and the financial jargon gets tiresome at points. Regardless, Kohler’s conversational tone makes the dryer passages more engaging. Unfortunately, this conversational tone often leads to rambling as well. All the information Kohler provides is needed; the problem is that some sections did not keep my attention well. I often had to re-read them because I forgot the original point. Fortunately for me, Kohler provides “takeaways” at the end of each chapter which summarize the most important points, and those helped me get back on track when I got lost.

I noticed a few minor spelling/grammatical errors. The most glaring error appears when Kohler writes “DirectedIRA?com” when he means “DirectedIRA.com”. Nevertheless, these errors are not prominent enough for me to think that this book was not professionally edited.

Overall, I give The Business Owner’s Guide to Financial Freedom 3 out of 4 stars. While I found the book very informative and helpful, I wish that Kohler had jumped to the meat of the topic sooner. He spends a little too much time explaining the negative “secrets” of Wall Street, i.e. the numerous fees and self-serving nature of financial advisors, before getting into what we can do to avoid those pitfalls. I can see how those less knowledgeable of the subject would want to know this, but it feels overdone here. Kohler should also provide more guidance for sole proprietorships. Not all small businesses are LLCs or larger, and sometimes sole proprietorships need the most help in financial planning. However, if you’re the owner of an LLC or are growing your sole proprietorship into something larger, I definitely recommend this book. Just don’t expect it to be a get-rich-quick scheme or a fast way to get your finances in order. As Kohler himself points out, this process will take time, but it will help your wealth grow.

The Business Owner's Guide to Financial Freedom
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like dragonet07's review? Post a comment saying so!
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

Very interesting. Sounds like it would be a very helpful book to the small business owner. I am not one myself, but being a business major graduate, I always find myself drawn to these types of books. I may look into this one in the future. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This reminds me of Dave Ramsey's work. I have a friend who could really use this book.
arcie72
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arcie72.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by arcie72 »

Thank you for your thorough review. I like that you explained in as much detail as you could of what to expect from this book. I plan to one day (God willing) to open up my own business so I will definitely be adding this book to my bookshelf. Thank you again for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I need something more like, "A non-business owners guide to starting your own business to gain financial freedom." So, I think I need the prequel to this book. Glad you were able to find it useful, though. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jamit
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jamit »

The title only will convince you that this book is a must read for everyone trying to make a living.
I solely recommend this book to anyone looking for financial freedom.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

This is not a book I would have chosen since the topic is not the most exciting, and I am currently not in the 'own your own business' phase of my life yet. However I really enjoyed your review.
Prankz87
Currently Reading: The Business Owner's Guide to Financial Freedom
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prankz87.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by Prankz87 »

Nice! Sounds interesting. I am in the process of researching making an article about financial and entrepreneurship. Reading this wonderful review arouse me to read this book. Looking forward to learn new things in regards of financial performance and monetary goals. I will definitely read this book. Thank you dragonet07 for this well efficient details.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”