Official Review: Climb Beyond the Crest by Don Defreeze

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
420waystoreachthesun
Currently Reading: Bomb Goggles
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-420waystoreachthesun.html
Latest Review: The Complete Thief Series: Boxed Set by Michael Dirubio

Official Review: Climb Beyond the Crest by Don Defreeze

Post by 420waystoreachthesun »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Climb Beyond the Crest" by Don Defreeze.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

"Are there things you have to do today? Aren’t there always? What would you think or do if you could cut those strings tying-up thoughts, drive and intent? What would it be like? What if I told you that such a state is inevitable? Think about it.”

The author asks the reader a seminal question, "what holds you back from the acuity that a long hike has the ability to produce?" Throughout this sensational, the reader will find that the author drives the reader to take an inspirational journey into the wonderful Appalachian wilderness. He motivates them to liberate themselves in the realm of the gods, the realm that lies beyond, to become “part of a sobering perception“.

The author of this book is Don Defreeze (Don Snyder). He is essentially the owner of Excihiking, a wilderness guide service located in Appalachians of Roanoke, Virginia. "He’s availed his knowledge to eager customers seeking Appalachian solace. His background in the natural sciences compliments his skill as a leader on specialized excursions." He has also invoked this knowledge to inform the reader about the joys of hiking.

Climb beyond the Crest is a wonderful and unique work that will absolutely leave you stunned. This is unlike many of the books that I have recently reviewed. It has elements of adventure and is exhilarating to the very core. The reader will find himself in a different world as he reads this book. This is one of this works in which the author manages to weave an effectively strong narrative and draw in the reader into the narrative. I was quite impressed by the kind of command that the author has over the language. I felt that the syntactical structure of the sentences was impeccable and the author managed to do a good job of adding a sense of coherence to the narrative. The same coherence can also be seen in the fact that there is rarely any fragmentation in the narrative, despite the fact that it is quite complex.

I often feel that when it comes to works like this, due to lack of certain elements, it becomes quite difficult to strengthen the narrative. However, the author nonetheless did a great job. Despite the lack of fictional elements, he managed to build a great story with a great rhetoric. He seemed to have a strong voice and the reader would be inclined to listen throughout. I found myself latched onto the book al the way until the end.

For all of these reasons, I happily give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I suggest all lovers of non-fiction give this book a read. I sincerely hope that they will find as much joy as I did in reading this book.

Climb Beyond the Crest
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like 420waystoreachthesun's review? Post a comment saying so!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like an excellent book about hiking into the wilderness. As a nature lover, I think I would enjoy this one.
Riszell
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 1041
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-riszell.html
Latest Review: Chancing Hope by Lisa Slater

Post by Riszell »

sounds like something to read for almost everyone that tends to procrastinate.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I would be interested in this book about the mental, as well as physical, benefits of hiking, as long as it doesn't come off as a advertisement for the author's business. Great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not usually a non-fiction lover, but I do love hiking and the outdoors. I love the thought of this wilderness service, and I bet the author has some great information to give. Definitely one I'll have to put on my list. Thanks for telling us about this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mary WhiteFace
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: Elemental Magic
Bookshelf Size: 384
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-whiteface.html
Latest Review: Bravehorse Adventures by Louise Cleveland
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Mary WhiteFace »

I love hiking and I love reading. Maybe after reading Climb Beyond the Crest I will find I love reading about hiking.

Since your review shows that the book is more than just a dry, how to manual and more of a "come join me on this grand adventure" type of story, I'll give it a try.

Thank you.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I am glad that you mentioned the author has an excellent writing style since non-fiction books can sometimes be dry reading. Hiking in Appalachia sounds interesting!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thanks for the review. It sounds like a good advert for hiking.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Lovely review! This sounds like a fascinating read about hiking and its aspects.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”