Official Review: Al Davis Behind the Raiders Shield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
nikkyteewhy
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading: Dues
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nikkyteewhy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis
fav_author_id: 3251

Official Review: Al Davis Behind the Raiders Shield

Post by nikkyteewhy »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Al Davis Behind the Raiders Shield" by Bruce Kebric and Jon Kingdon with Steve Corkran.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Al Davis Behind the Raiders Shield is a biography of Allen Davis. He was considered by people to be a football legend. This biography was written by his former employees Bruce Kebric and Jon Kingdon, with Steve Corkran, a sports writer. Al Davis, as he was fondly called, was the owner and the general manager of the Oakland Raiders football team. Al grew up in Brooklyn, New York, he often bragged about how tough his neighborhood was growing up. He extremely loved the football games, and he was passionate about his team, the Oakland Raiders. He was a man who recognized who he was and commanded respect everywhere he went. He generated the image he wanted the public to see. He was highly respected and feared by many people in the NFL.

He mastered the art of getting information from people without giving up any information. He led the Oakland Raiders to many victories. The Oakland Raiders also suffered a considerable amount of loss. Amidst all the victories and losses the Raiders endured, Al always held his head high, he stuck to his pattern no matter how outdated or illogical they were. He demanded the loyalty and respect of his employees and players. He never hesitated to fire anyone who would not exhibit these traits. He never forgot a grudge. As he became older, although his passion for football increased, his health diminished. He remained mentally resilient. Al carried out many decisions as the owner of the Oakland Raiders. He had many brilliant ideas, but some of his decisions led to the defeat of his football team. The authors of this book clearly admired and highly respected him.

This biography is narrated in a third person point of view. The narration shifts to the first-person point of view at several times. The authors vividly described their opinion of whom they believed Al Davis was. It was clearly evident that although they respected and even revered him, they disagreed with his believes and his method of leadership. He was superstitious at times. He was mostly autocratic in his leadership. He frequently ignored his scouts and his coaches. He implemented decisions he thought was best and he never settled for less. He didn’t follow their advice. I admired Al’s strength and determination. He had many inspirational quotes like, “All I do is win” and “Just win baby win”. He never discriminated against anyone based on their sex or color or background. He was the first NFL owner to draft an African-American quarterback, the first to hire a Latino coach and the first to hire a female as his chief executive. It was evident that he was not racist or sexist. I learned some terms used in football like “running back” and “quarterback.”

However, there was much repetitive information in the book. I felt the authors kept on repeating information over and over. There were, on top of that, many profane words used in this book it felt so uncomfortable to read it out loud.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I feel the book is not properly organized; the story seemed to go back and forth without any known pattern. I detected a few errors, but it did not detract from the book. I would not recommend this book to those who are unfamiliar with football or those who don’t like football. I also would not recommend this book to younger readers and those who are uncomfortable with profane words because this book is stacked of them. I would recommend this book to football fans and fans of the legendary Al Davis.

Al Davis Behind the Raiders Shield
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like nikkyteewhy's review? Post a comment saying so!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I've never read biographies by footballer before. I think I will check this one out because I find Al Davis is incredible although how much superstitious and autocratic his leadership was, we can't deny him for pioneering in making unconventional decision in selecting people to join his team. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have never heard of this footballer before. I hope this will be an exciting read. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

I am not a fan of football at all so I will skip this one. Thank you for the great review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”