Official Review: How You Make The Sale by Frank McNair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: How You Make The Sale by Frank McNair

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How You Make The Sale" by Frank McNair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How You Make the Sale by Frank McNair combines the best aspects of a textbook and a narrative into a fun, engaging, and extremely helpful manual for any new salesperson. While it's geared towards people in traditional sales roles, I found it extremely useful, even though I don't sell a specific product, per se. McNair's expertise and personality shine through on every page, and it's organized beautifully. Each chapter closes with worksheet-style questions for readers to fill out about how the material applies to their job, as well as a brief summary.

The book itself is set up to walk readers through the eight steps of making a sale as McNair sees them, from the first step, research prior to the sale, to the last, following-up for ongoing profitability. He assuages common fears, such as objections from customers, with grace and humor. His approach is about service-based selling, where both parties "win", rather than combatant selling, where the customer "loses" when they purchase a product. The core tenet of the book is, "you don't win if the customer loses". This is quite profound, and it's also something that people tend to forget while trying to sell something.

McNair doesn't deliver information with a professorial detachment. His tone is always conversational, and he addresses you both as a fellow salesperson and as a real human being. He does a great job of addressing potential concerns you might have about the material, as well as showing examples of how it has applied to his own career. He doesn't fit the traditional idea of a conniving, manipulative salesperson, either, and he does a great job of both establishing credibility and disproving stereotypes about salespeople throughout the book.

While it's obviously geared towards salespeople, and that's clearly the audience it would be most helpful to, How You Make the Sale holds valuable lessons for anyone who works in trying to solve people's problems (as McNair argues is the ultimate goal of salespeople). I was able to apply a lot of the information in the book to my own professional life and fill out the worksheet portions, even though I don't work in a typical sales role.

How You Make the Sale exceeded my expectations with its content, organization, and tone. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I found it very informative. For these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I'd highly recommend it to anyone in the business of solving other peoples' problems, in the world of sales or otherwise. More broadly, this is a great book for people who want to understand what makes a good salesperson, both to emulate them and to avoid bad salespeople in their everyday lives.

How You Make The Sale
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, not something I'm interested in at this time, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This book contains valuable info. for persons aspiring to have a career in sales. Thank you for a splendid review.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Most sales books seem based on manipulation. This one seems to actually care about the customer. That would be refreshing to read. Thanks for the info.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

Not a book I would have chosen. However your review of it makes it seem worth reading
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like a fantastic how-to guide for really getting the best out of yourself as a salesperson. I love it when non-fiction authors are able to successfully connect and really engage their readers.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a salesperson nor do I really have any desire to be so. However, it does sound like there are some good tips here. Thanks for the information. I'm glad you were able to glean useful advice from it. I think I'll pass for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I'm so glad there's at least one book out there that isn't promoting combative selling. As an ex-salesperson, that approach always irked me and I always preferred actually assessing my customers' needs and doing my best to meet them without exceeding their budget. I hope this is an indication of a growing trend in the sales field. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
ZamokuhleG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ZamokuhleG »

This book enlighted me with ways on how to break throw sales and it sort of got me reanalysising my selling errors .

Thank you
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This book seems like a fount of information for salespeople! I'll have to pass on this as this is not really my type. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”