Official Review: How You Make The Sale by Frank McNair

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
ViziVoir
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 260
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vizivoir.html
Latest Review: Bring Home the Bacon by Larry Tracy

Official Review: How You Make The Sale by Frank McNair

Post by ViziVoir » 02 Jun 2018, 15:54

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "How You Make The Sale" by Frank McNair.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How You Make the Sale by Frank McNair combines the best aspects of a textbook and a narrative into a fun, engaging, and extremely helpful manual for any new salesperson. While it's geared towards people in traditional sales roles, I found it extremely useful, even though I don't sell a specific product, per se. McNair's expertise and personality shine through on every page, and it's organized beautifully. Each chapter closes with worksheet-style questions for readers to fill out about how the material applies to their job, as well as a brief summary.

The book itself is set up to walk readers through the eight steps of making a sale as McNair sees them, from the first step, research prior to the sale, to the last, following-up for ongoing profitability. He assuages common fears, such as objections from customers, with grace and humor. His approach is about service-based selling, where both parties "win", rather than combatant selling, where the customer "loses" when they purchase a product. The core tenet of the book is, "you don't win if the customer loses". This is quite profound, and it's also something that people tend to forget while trying to sell something.

McNair doesn't deliver information with a professorial detachment. His tone is always conversational, and he addresses you both as a fellow salesperson and as a real human being. He does a great job of addressing potential concerns you might have about the material, as well as showing examples of how it has applied to his own career. He doesn't fit the traditional idea of a conniving, manipulative salesperson, either, and he does a great job of both establishing credibility and disproving stereotypes about salespeople throughout the book.

While it's obviously geared towards salespeople, and that's clearly the audience it would be most helpful to, How You Make the Sale holds valuable lessons for anyone who works in trying to solve people's problems (as McNair argues is the ultimate goal of salespeople). I was able to apply a lot of the information in the book to my own professional life and fill out the worksheet portions, even though I don't work in a typical sales role.

How You Make the Sale exceeded my expectations with its content, organization, and tone. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it, and I found it very informative. For these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. I'd highly recommend it to anyone in the business of solving other peoples' problems, in the world of sales or otherwise. More broadly, this is a great book for people who want to understand what makes a good salesperson, both to emulate them and to avoid bad salespeople in their everyday lives.

How You Make The Sale
View: on Bookshelves

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!

AmySmiles
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Change in Plan by Dana Peters

Post by AmySmiles » 04 Jun 2018, 10:57

I'm glad you enjoyed the book, not something I'm interested in at this time, so I think I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: Bosnian Phoenix: How Bosnia Saved Europe and Made Possible the Modern Age by Miljan Peter Ilich

Post by crediblereading2 » 04 Jun 2018, 14:41

This book contains valuable info. for persons aspiring to have a career in sales. Thank you for a splendid review.

teacherjh
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 87
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: Cruise Ship Murders by Clark Selby

Post by teacherjh » 04 Jun 2018, 17:07

Most sales books seem based on manipulation. This one seems to actually care about the customer. That would be refreshing to read. Thanks for the info.

Mouricia25
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 183
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia25 » 04 Jun 2018, 17:36

Not a book I would have chosen. However your review of it makes it seem worth reading

joshfee77
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 160
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: Ever Told by Benjamin Bremasi

Post by joshfee77 » 05 Jun 2018, 01:40

Sounds like a fantastic how-to guide for really getting the best out of yourself as a salesperson. I love it when non-fiction authors are able to successfully connect and really engage their readers.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 69
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Violent Leadership by Wesley Middleton

Post by kandscreeley » 05 Jun 2018, 07:43

I'm not a salesperson nor do I really have any desire to be so. However, it does sound like there are some good tips here. Thanks for the information. I'm glad you were able to glean useful advice from it. I think I'll pass for now.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Zertone by Amanda K. Rivers
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 05 Jun 2018, 15:12

I'm so glad there's at least one book out there that isn't promoting combative selling. As an ex-salesperson, that approach always irked me and I always preferred actually assessing my customers' needs and doing my best to meet them without exceeding their budget. I hope this is an indication of a growing trend in the sales field. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

ZamokuhleG
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ZamokuhleG » 05 Jun 2018, 17:10

This book enlighted me with ways on how to break throw sales and it sort of got me reanalysising my selling errors .

Thank you

gen_g
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Best Evidence by Mark S. Osaki

Post by gen_g » 06 Jun 2018, 08:56

This book seems like a fount of information for salespeople! I'll have to pass on this as this is not really my type. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”