Review by Richard Whitehead -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Richard Whitehead
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-richard-whitehead.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Review by Richard Whitehead -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Richard Whitehead » 02 Jun 2018, 05:45

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rob White narrates his life in this book, And Then I Met Margaret: The Ordinary Gurus I’ve met. This story is the author’s autobiography that narrates his life from when he was a child to his adulthood. This book is non-fictional and it is a blend of twenty one stories of the ordinary people that the author met. The author shows how these “ordinary gurus’’ have impacted positively on his life and career. The story is told in the first person’s view point and this makes it original and interesting.

The story kicks off with a lovely lesson on kindness. The author uses the heart-breaking story his aunt, Theresa, who the community made to suffer a lot. The story reveals the traditions of this society and how it was like a culture that all men must secure employment in either of the two factories that are in the small town that the author is staying in. The author breaks this tradition by joining the prestigious University of Massachusetts. He was determined and hardworking during his high school days and this made him very successful.

The author fails to copy the life of his father as he rejects taking haircut styles like his father. He is also not willing to work in the same factories like him. His success of joining college surprises and even disappoints many people but this does not prevent the author from achieving his dreams. He excels in college and gets a job in the teaching career but he still wants to move more and sore higher and higher. The author eventually gains the courage and skills to start a job in real estate development. He is courageous enough to leave the warmth of his teaching career.

His life in the business world is not all that easy as it has several challenges of losses and risks but this makes him learn lessons that are important in making him succeed in business. The author makes this story very interesting since each chapter starts with a myth that he once believed in during his days as a child. The chapters then end with lessons that the author learnt from his experiences. I liked how the author learns important lessons from ordinary people such as his family, a stranger that he meets in a candy store, the janitor in the school and Peter the pork vendor. These people play an important life in transforming the lives of Mr. White. This challenges the readers that you do not have to get advice from celebrities or motivational speakers so as to be successful. Even ordinary people can play a crucial role in shaping your life.

This book is full of humor and several quotes. I found it easy to relate with the stories. This book teaches us that experience is the best teacher in life. I would recommend this book to people who are looking forward to living a positive life that is fulfilling. I hope you will thrive to find a copy of And Then I Met Margaret. I failed to notice any error and so I awarded it 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Richard Whitehead's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”