Official Review: Raising the KGB by Eric Wilson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: Raising the KGB by Eric Wilson

Post by Supergirl1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Raising the KGB" by Eric Wilson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are hardly any occurrences more profound in life than when you find your calling. Eric Wilson found his calling in a place he might never have thought to look: through the lives of four Russian boys named Gleb, Max, Daniil and Tioma.

In Raising the KGB: A Journey Through Fatherhood in Pursuit of the American Dream, Eric recounts the experiences they’ve had in the last ten years. This account starts from when Gunther and Donald invites him to help raise some Russian boys they brought to America on a scholarship program. These two rich men i.e. Gunther and Donald, had started this program to give underprivileged children from Russia a chance at a better life in America. After a lot of careful thought, Eric decides he could make a positive impact in the kids’ lives and accepts the invitation. He is left trying to fulfill his words and actually get these children through school when the scholarship program gets canceled. This story details the highs and lows, successes and failures, and the amusing moments he had raising these boys as a single man.

If I had a list of favorite memoirs, this book will be ranked high on that list. House parents that take their role to heart like Eric are rare. Despite having to contend with a serious paucity of funds, he struggled to give his boys the best life attainable. He was fiercely protective, fighting to champion their cause countless times. When Donald, who had brought these boys to America in the first place, tried to take some decisions that were not in their best interests, Eric went toe to toe with him and stood firm as a shield for the boys. He always ensured that he was available, and he built great relationships with them. Given the growing number of deadbeat parents in the society today, Eric deserves a lot of accolades for his perseverance and love.

As I read through this book, I couldn’t help but notice the similarities between Eric’s family setting with the boys and what is prevalent today’s society. When grown children make unpopular decisions, it can prove really crushing for a parent. Eric’s experience with Max falls into this category. I find it inspiring that in spite of what happened between them, Eric never gave up on his son. It is an example even more parents should emulate.

The style of writing in this book makes it really enjoyable. This is not just one boring account of day-to-day tedium. The author includes enough details about each individual to help the reader understand them better, making this tale more interesting. He also describes the fun moments they had, including the times the kids played pranks on him.

Without reservation, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. True, I found a few errors, but I don’t feel they were serious enough to deserve a lower score. I would totally recommend this book to every memoir lover.

Raising the KGB
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

It sounds as if this gives an inspiring account of meeting the challenges of parenting and above all hanging in there when things are tough. Eric's situation does sound challenging. I'm not normally that into memoirs myself, I have to say.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I almost always like memoirs because people who wrote them have always some amazing story to tell, otherwise they wouldn't write it. Having something to say is a noble reason for writing a book. And this one sounds worth trying. A single man raising Russian boys in America can't be easy and I can only imagine how hard it must have been. Great review!
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

Rated 4-4stars,fantasticaly reviewed,a memoir story book of Eric Wilson.Raising of KBG is a story of four Rusian boys Gleb,Max,Daniil,and Tioma who lift their home to America on a scholarship offered to them by two richmen Gunth and Donald who use to provide services to under privilage children,at a time Gunth and Donald invited Eric to come over and help in raising these children the idea he concided feelling the impact he has for them even when the program ended.My interest in the author's memoir account encludes his writing presention,story of success,failures,love and pains,a fevourite account indeed as i run through the read
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 02:27 It sounds as if this gives an inspiring account of meeting the challenges of parenting and above all hanging in there when things are tough. Eric's situation does sound challenging. I'm not normally that into memoirs myself, I have to say.
He sure faced a lot of challenges.
Especially hard when said children were not even biologically his. But I guess that didn’t matter to Eric.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Laura Ungureanu wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 04:39 I almost always like memoirs because people who wrote them have always some amazing story to tell, otherwise they wouldn't write it. Having something to say is a noble reason for writing a book. And this one sounds worth trying. A single man raising Russian boys in America can't be easy and I can only imagine how hard it must have been. Great review!
Thank you Laura.
I totally agree with your view on memoirs. When I read one I feel like I’m watching a movie based on someone’s true story.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I love a good memoir, so the fact that you would put it on your favorites tells me that I should add this to my to be read list. This book seems so cool, and the subject is interesting.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Laura Del wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 14:58 I love a good memoir, so the fact that you would put it on your favorites tells me that I should add this to my to be read list. This book seems so cool, and the subject is interesting.
It’s a very cool book.
I’m glad you liked the review, too.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Were the boys from families involved with the KGB? Or was the author associating all Russians as being KGB?
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 21:40 Were the boys from families involved with the KGB? Or was the author associating all Russians as being KGB?
When I chose this book, I was wondering if the boys joined the KGB as adults.
I found out the story had nothing to do with the KGB.
I guess that appellation was used because the boys are typical stoic Russians.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Supergirl1 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 22:29
CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 21:40 Were the boys from families involved with the KGB? Or was the author associating all Russians as being KGB?
Interesting... and strange that the author never explained the title. Thank you for responding.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

CatInTheHat wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 22:34
Supergirl1 wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 22:29
Interesting... and strange that the author never explained the title. Thank you for responding.
Yes, I agree an explanation wouldn’t hurt.
Thanks for stopping by.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Nimat87 »

First off, thanks for a beautifully written review. I fell in love with the book just reading this review. I love memoirs and this sounds like a very interesting one. I feel connected to the father figure (Eric) already. Certainly one parents should emulate. I also felt that the book would have something to do with the KGB. Perhaps it was just a way of drawing attention to the book.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

You've convinced me to pick up this book. It sounds really interesting. Nice job on the review.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 »

Nimat87 wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 03:40 First off, thanks for a beautifully written review. I fell in love with the book just reading this review. I love memoirs and this sounds like a very interesting one. I feel connected to the father figure (Eric) already. Certainly one parents should emulate. I also felt that the book would have something to do with the KGB. Perhaps it was just a way of drawing attention to the book.
I’m glad you like the review.
If the author intended to draw attention with that title, then he succeeded with me. It’s rather catchy.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”