Official Review: Resilience: A Workbook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: Official Review: Resilience: A Workbook

Post by Vickie Noel »

I've never seen a biography and self-help book with practical exercises merged together, so this book is quite unique in that regard. I'd love to draw inspiration from cross-examining the author's clients alongside those famous people who refused to be down and out about their stifling situations. Thanks for the review.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

This book conveys the message that it's possible to overcome any bad situation and the author provides the necessary tools to do so. It also reiterates that people shouldn't be afraid to seek help.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

I appreciated the opportunity to transform my own dark thoughts in Part Two. I loved the way the book became interactive here. The tools are arranged meaningfully into chapters with eloquent, memorable headings. ‘Reverse the Curse’ helped me to find alternatives to feeling doomed in my current situation, for example.
This is the beauty about non-fiction books. They present real life issues to the reader and sometimes offer practical steps to get out of a dark patch in life as the reviewer has indicated. This review gives a clear picture of the contents of the book. I will look for an opportunity to read it.
Hope_Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hope-queen.html
Latest Review: My Trip To Adele by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Hope_Queen »

Thanks for the review .People who are going through tough times in health wise will definitely benefit from this book .Happy recovering to all
Obinna476
Currently Reading: Resilience: A Workbook
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Obinna476 »

Kathryn Den Houter, PhD piece is timely, in this challenging times; especially in most ethnic - geopolitical and pluraristic society we found ourselves. We need the gusto to teachings found in this write up, to be at the helm of affairs. Tighten your seat belt as Den Houter takes you on board this plane.
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

This sounds like a wonderful book to read - resilience is definitely something which is lacking in society at the moment. Brilliant review, thanks.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

We all undergo a set of problems which may be hard for us to deal with alone. And for some of us who never want to involve others in our worries, such books come in handy. Thanks for the lovely review.
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

Resilience is a word I learned the hard way when we were hit by hurricane Maria a year ago. That word makes this book an immediate read for me. This book is great for all of us that confronts everyday challenges, struggles, pain and difficulties. Just like the review says: "being broken can be a powerfull catalyst for change". Love to learn more about resilience and it's qualities and being able to raise self-esteem and all the positivity needed to transform the theory into practice. Congratulations.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book seems interesting. I like the idea behind it and trying to help people. I was glad to read that this book provides examples of therapy and compares the stories of the clients to famous people. That sounds intriguing. I didn't like that the book seems to imply that religion or Christianity plays a role in therapy but hopefully it was just an oversight not to mention other religions. Thanks for your review.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I sampled the book on Amazon. I loved the topic of Resilience taken up by Kathryn Den Houter. The book has been structured in a very precise manner with real life experiences. It can be a wonderful respite for anyone who is going through tough times mentally or emotionally. Cheers :) :)
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
HannahNathan
Favorite Author: Suzanne Collins
Currently Reading: The Faerie Queens
Bookshelf Size: 25
fav_author_id: 2536

Post by HannahNathan »

Dael Reader wrote: 02 Jun 2018, 20:48 Just a note. You commented on the strong Christian-centered nature of the book. I checked out the author on the Barnes & Noble website and discovered that she attended Calvin College, which is a Christian college operated by a fundamentalist denomination. (And yes, they do believe that homosexuality is a sin.) Whenever I'm looking for a self-help book, I make sure to check out the author first. Obviously, people of any faith can write a book worthy of reading. But it's always good to have an heads-up about the authors bias, especially in books that include sections on faith and spirituality.
Thanks for taking the time to research this! I picked up the vibe from teh Amazon Free Sample and wondered if that was goingto be the case... I do think it's good to be aware when reading self help books, just so that you know what to take with a pinch of salt!
gonzairene95
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gonzairene95 »

Re:official Review: Resilience: A workbook
By Moddesser Elahi

This is a good book that puts together things one can do to get out of a hard situation in life or give a new story to his her past life through resilience. The seven resilient qualities are just good for a person going through hard time.
esther nnakire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by esther nnakire »

This book is awesome, it is different from every other help book that I have read. I look forward to read this book, maybe tomorrow I can use the knowledge to help someone.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

We all face tough and trying situations from time to time, and the power of resilience is one of the greatest strengths that can tide us over those moments. I very much want to read this book to find out what the author has to say on this. Your review did a lot of help in this regard. While I find the concepts of turning our dark thoughts into some kind of motivation, or 'reversing the curse' useful, I do not want to rely on spirituality for strength. However, I still intend to read it.
Dianne[J]T
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Dianne[J]T »

I really enjoyed reading this sample. I found no difficult words or academic phrases as I would generally expect from a psychologist. It was easy to read and understand as well as being clear to follow the thought process in which it is written. I would have bought this book as a young mum having struggled with similar feelings as the mum in the first case and the challenging behaviour of a child with ADD. Because I am interested in this topic, I was transfixed to the end. :D

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”