Official Review: Resilience: A Workbook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Re: Official Review: Resilience: A Workbook

Post by DorcasToo »

I love how the reviewer relates with the book and even applies it. Also am a Christian and would like to read it from this perspective. Thanks for the review it's so insightful.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

This book sounds interesting. I think it will definitely be helpful to some people who are trying to figure theirselves out. From your review I can definitely see that the author was very knowledgeable in the subject matter. I actually appreciate that christian beliefs we're put in.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I enjoyed reading the sample and was on board with the seven types of resilience. But after reading your review, I am going to pass. It sounds like more of a Christian focus than I would enjoy. It's unfortunate about the close-mindedness. I did like your review a lot. Thanks for the thorough introduction to this book.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

It is wonderful that you found a book that helped in this stage of your life. Your review was very detailed. I like that you described how the book uses case studies of patients and celebrities and then had a more practice section. I am concerned that the medical focus on the transgender client. Thanks for pointing out that fault in the book. Great review.
palmerNgozi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palmerngozi.html
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by palmerNgozi »

Awesome review. this book sounds interesting, a sure guide to build ones strength and faith. Excellent review.
Latest Review: Roan by E. R. Barr
Faith Mhizha
Currently Reading: Love's Healing Power
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Faith Mhizha »

I like the fact that the book is recommended for anyone going through life's tough circumstances and that it has been tested on real life situations. Will definitely look for it. Thanks for a great review.
RT_offscript
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rt-offscript.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by RT_offscript »

Based on the review, I like how Kathryn Den Houter organized "Resilience: A Workbook." Although the author might have stretched the similarities between her clients and well-known individuals, I think the comparisons probably engaged readers by enhancing their abilities to understand evidenced-based psychology, which could be a dry subject to some laypersons.
Smart_Owl9
Favorite Author: Victoria Korchikova-Malovichko
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 266157

Post by Smart_Owl9 »

Dear Dr. Den Houter:
I am writing this reply on the official review of your book “Resilience: A Workbook” not only to express my gratefulness for the opportunity to get to know you as a writer and a psychologist, but also to thank you for giving a chance to get an answer to the most searching, interesting, central and crucial question: “why one individual would surmount unbelievable challenges to lead a happy, amazing life, while another was miserably stuck with half the worries”.

Even though, the facts and material in the free sample of the book is not a gold mine of the information for me, and I think I can reasonably predict both the described resilient qualities and the actions in the book; yet the title of the book and the review grabbed my attention and shifted it to express my humble opinion about the review and the first pages of the book. Furthermore, I feel that “Resilience: A Workbook” is one of those books that can change the life of those who continually raise that crucial question: why one is happily enjoying the life, and the other is not… Moreover, both practical approach and case studies are always a valuable source of information and the best illustration and prove of a theory. I believe that the readers will be persuaded and nobody could deny that “Resilience: A workbook” is the best tip on the life-way that’s full of obstacles and barriers!

To conclude, I would like to recommend the book who seek a way to master their resistance and flexibility to the challenging surrounding in order to get Resilience at the fingertips. In addition, I would love to thank you again, Dr. Dan Houter, for your hard work and the brilliant and life-changing idea to give us the answer! Without doubts, I trust that after the reading the book, the fundamental and interesting question won’t remain open to me!
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

I believe that Resilience in itself id a good topic to approach. As, well as something that many will be able to relate to. I also, like the idea of having such a topic written as a somewhat study guide. I think that it is a good learning experience to be able to reflect what you have just read then tell what you got out of the materal.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Saimi_76
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Saimi_76 »

This book sounds good. I like this book and the idea it has. Every human has to be strong and remain calm in every difficult situation to become a fighter one
akiknight8
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by akiknight8 »

Actually this is new to me about self-help book but when I read the review I think this is a great book about you can help yourself move on in a part where you're broken by some kind of relationship and having a self-esteem to yourself. it is really a great book for those person that don't have any confidence and self-esteem to their self.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Will this help me with my depression? You know, I already found my way thru Christ but I dunno, I was just not happy after. I hope this book will help me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

I have struggled with mental illness, especially GAD, for quite some time, and recent circumstances have exacerbated my condition. While obviously no substitute for my doctor-prescribed treatments, this book sounds like it would be a great supplement and would be able to help me get through the particularly rough times. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
joycechitwa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joycechitwa.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by joycechitwa »

This is certainly my kind of book, since it highlights on ways one can help oneself overcome life challenges. I believe that a person's ability to bounce back is ultimately a very important one as it determines how far one goes in life. So this one definitely earns a spot in my want to read list! Kudos.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Post by JuliaKay »

I think everyone could do with a lesson on resilience, so this book could be helpful. I don't agree that it needed to be tied in with Christianity, as I know a lot of Christians who had severe depression and even with their face, could not find their way out. I also know a good deal of non-Christians who were able to overcome adversity with various practices and treatments. I like that the author did relate issues to celebrities. Thank you for the review.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”