Review by sarahjcallen -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sarah J Callen
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Deserving
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-j-callen.html
Latest Review: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings by Mike L Junior

Review by sarahjcallen -- The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor

Post by Sarah J Callen »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The MECE Muse" by Christie Lindor.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I give The MECE Muse by Christie Lindor 4 out of 4 stars. This was chock-full of helpful information and an all-around enjoyable book to read. Throughout the pages, Lindor, an experienced consultant herself, shares over 100 tips and consulting best practices. Each tip is backed up by anecdotal evidence from both Lindor’s personal experience and that of others who are experts in their field.

The MECE Muse is filled with important principles that help the reader focus on EQ over IQ. She shares that it is the emotional intelligence that will set a consultant apart and prepare them for success in this business.

I, like many others who are new to the profession, have made the mistake of thinking that consulting is all about the skills you have and the assets you are able to give to others. But The MECE Muse fixes that flawed perspective by focusing on the most important part of consulting: the people. Lindor reminds the reader to focus on the relationships that you develop along the way because they are, at the end of the day, what the business is all about.

There is a heavy emphasis on the importance of a team. While you might be able to add some value to a company or organization on your own, with a team, you’re able to add significantly more value. Throughout the book, Lindor shares interviews with industry experts who happily chat about the best and worst teams they ever worked with, reminding us that the team really can make or break a project.

Lindor included an entire chapter all about the different players that are on every consulting team she’s ever worked with. While reading, my eyes were opened to the different ways I’ve acted before (both good and bad) which will help me going forward in working with various teams. Lindor is intentional to share what value each of these team members brings and how to celebrate that contribution, which is helpful in dealing with some of the tougher personalities.

What I found most valuable about this book is the wide-spread applicability of its information. No matter what type of consulting you do, you can apply these principles to your life. The end of the book includes a number of appendices that contain suggested books, websites, and podcasts that can help consultants excel! I walked away from this book with a toolbox full of skills and a reframing of priorities so I could feel confident in my continued pursuit of a career in consulting.

I highly recommend The MECE Muse to those who are thinking about or just beginning a consulting career. This could also be valuable for consultants who may have plateaued in their career trajectory or have felt held back from achieving their full potential as a consultant.

The MECE Muse
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like sarahjcallen's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”