Official Review: Daughters Of Dementia by Leslie Birkland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: Daughters Of Dementia by Leslie Birkland

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daughters Of Dementia" by Leslie Birkland.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I’ll never forget my first experience with Alzheimer’s and Dementia. I was fourteen, volunteering after school at an assisted living facility. One day, my supervisor took me up to the “lockdown” floor. I climbed aboard the elevator, and my supervisor used a key to get us moving. When the doors opened, I was greeted with an identical hallway to those found on the second and third floors. It wasn’t until I followed my supervisor to the communal kitchen where I met two women who repeated the same syllable over and over again that it hit me. These people were not well. I went on to meet other ladies. Some were just forgetful. Some lacked the ability to perform basic daily tasks. By the time I got back on the elevator, fourteen-year-old me was terrified. I never wanted to encounter another person with Alzheimer’s or Dementia again.

Imagine my shock when, a year later, my grandfather was diagnosed with Dementia.

Daughters of Dementia is a tribute to Duane, father of the book’s co-authors, Leslie Birkland and Lindsey Denhof. Through two very different, but also similar, views, these step-sisters describe Duane’s life—from meeting Leslie’s mother through his journey with Dementia. At times both heartbreaking and funny, the authors set out to show those who are embroiled with this disease that they are not alone. Dementia is no one’s fault, and the family caregivers can only do so much.

I found this book easy to read and understand. Both Birkland and Denhof write with clear, simple prose. I felt as if I were sitting around with friends and talking about loved ones who suffer from the terrible memory-stealing disease. For those watching a loved one perish, this book would serve as an invaluable companion.

One of the most important ideas this book communicates is not to keep Dementia a secret. At one point, Duane’s family moves into a new apartment. Soon after, the building manager pulls Leslie aside to say the office has been getting complaints about Duane’s behavior. One of the characteristics of Dementia is the performing of socially odd or unacceptable actions as if they pose no issue. Birkland and Denhof offer examples like getting into someone’s car or staring out windows for hours on end. When the building manager brought such complaints to Leslie, she went against her mother’s wishes and informed the manager of Duane’s Dementia. Once the community was aware, the attitudes of the other residents went from complaining to helping. No one thought less of Duane or his family because of the Dementia. This is such an important idea to make clear. Dementia, like Cancer, is a disease. It just happens to change a person’s personality and steal their memories. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Sickness happens.

Aside from being an emotional tool, this book is also a wealth of resources for Dementia patience and their families. There is information about the disease sprinkled throughout. At the end, there is a list of organizations that provide support for Dementia patience and their caregivers. I was so glad to see the list. When my grandfather was diagnosed, my family was at a loss for so long. Having this list would have helped us, and will no doubt be of great help to others seeking support.

After all this, you may be wondering about my statement earlier that part of this book was funny. My response—of course it is. No, it’s not hilarious or worthy of a comedy routine, but there are little things that are just so sad that they have to also be funny. As Birkland puts it “Because if you don’t laugh, you’ll just be crying all day.” I can’t agree more. Watching my grandfather lose to this disease broke my heart. It wasn’t funny at all, but I had to laugh—had to learn that it wasn’t all terrifying, if I wanted to keep my own sanity.

With no reservations, I rate Daughters of Dementia 4 out of 4 stars. The book is very well-edited with only a few small errors. The wealth of information presented and the emotional support this story lends to anyone dealing with a loved one’s Dementia firmly bring this book above a 3-star rating. I would recommend this book for anyone needing somewhere to turn when this disease feels like too much. I also recommend it to anyone wishing to better understand Dementia. While I believe children should be made aware of the disease, this book may be beyond the comprehension of the very young. Though, it may help parents learn how to broach the topic with their kids. Really, this is an excellent read for just about anyone.

Daughters Of Dementia
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like desantismt_17's review? Post a comment saying so!
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

I like that the book is an easy read and easy to understand. Sounds like a good story. Thanks for the review.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Thanks for your interesting review. It sounds as if this book provides an honest account of the sisters' personal experiences with a loved one's dementia - I note that you say that someone in the situation would find this book a support. This devastating disease does affect a lot of people.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

Hmm, this is like a book that specially found its way to you. You seem to have a personal relationship with the book, and that's a beautiful thing. Books like this should be read by everyone, as mental illness stigma has always been an issue needing to be addressed in many parts of the world.
Nice review!
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Sounds like a helpful resource for those caring for patients with dementia, but also an interesting read for anyone. Thanks for the interesting review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I really enjoyed how you started out your review with such a personal story. This sounds like a great tool for helping people understand the many issues surrounding dementia and dementia related illnesses.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I'm glad you recommend this book as a source of emotional support. I will have to check it out. It's so hard to know how to cope when loved ones suffer from memory loss.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

My grandfather had Alzheimer's as well. Most of us are affected by this in some way or other, so I love the thought of this book. I also agree that we shouldn't keep it a secret. People are much more willing to help out and accept indiscretions when there's a reason. Thanks again for this review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Great review! Sounds like a poignant and informative story about dementia and Alzheimer’s. My grandmother and her sister suffered these conditions and it was heartbreaking to see the deterioration in their cognitive abilities.
kdawes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kdawes17 »

I can totally relate to these sisters my aunt has dementina and it hurts me to see her like that . It takes a toll because when you dealing with it by yourself its alot .Then also it takes alot out of you my aunt has her good days and her bad days . I cry to myself because i hate to see her in this stage of mind. Like one of the sisters said if you don't laugh you will be crying til you can't cry no more. I admits its heart breaking this book is very helpful to people who have loves ones that are dealing with dementina. I rate this book a 10.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

What a great review, of a great book! Although I currently don't need the support that the book goes over, it is nice to know that it is there for me to read. I think I may read it anyway- I would like to see how these daughters dealt with this terrible disease that affects so many people and their families.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

Without a doubt, this story will let a lot of readers know they are not alone. Thank you for sharing your personal story and the excellent review!
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Imagine my shock when, a year later, my grandfather was diagnosed with Dementia.

Daughters of Dementia is a tribute to Duane, father of the book’s co-authors, Leslie Birkland and Lindsey Denhof

I went through the same thing with my grandmother and I'm glad you chose this book and shared your thoughts with us. We should share it and spread awareness in their memories.
One of the most important ideas this book communicates is not to keep Dementia a secret. At one point, Duane’s family moves into a new apartment. Soon after, the building manager pulls Leslie aside to say the office has been getting complaints about Duane’s behavior. One of the characteristics of Dementia is the performing of socially odd or unacceptable actions as if they pose no issue. Birkland and Denhof offer examples like getting into someone’s car or staring out windows for hours on end. When the building manager brought such complaints to Leslie, she went against her mother’s wishes and informed the manager of Duane’s Dementia. Once the community was aware, the attitudes of the other residents went from complaining to helping. No one thought less of Duane or his family because of the Dementia. This is such an important idea to make clear. Dementia, like Cancer, is a disease. It just happens to change a person’s personality and steal their memories. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Sickness happens.
So true! It's true for most mental illnesses and stigma is still an issue we have to fight to solve, it just makes things harder both for the sufferer and his or her caregivers.
Aside from being an emotional tool, this book is also a wealth of resources for Dementia patience and their families. There is information about the disease sprinkled throughout. At the end, there is a list of organizations that provide support for Dementia patience and their caregivers. I was so glad to see the list. When my grandfather was diagnosed, my family was at a loss for so long. Having this list would have helped us, and will no doubt be of great help to others seeking support.
I'm glad the book provides resources, it can make you feel so lost, as you say...

I loved your review. It's so brave of you to choose a topic you're connected to. I'm so glad you're now able to see the funny part, even if its bittersweet. Your comments are bright and insightful, thank you.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

I have taking care of several clients who had Alzheimer's or Dementia in the past. The families really do struggle with seeing their loved one forget who they are. I appreciate the authors writing this book and sharing their father's story. Thanks for your review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

It wasn’t funny at all, but I had to laugh—had to learn that it wasn’t all terrifying, if I wanted to keep my own sanity.
Your unique coping mechanism is quite notable. It would be beneficial if accompanied by good intentions and an understanding mind as well. It's also amazing how the community's attitude has changed for the sufferer, although it's more common to encounter stigma than acceptance for the illness even at this present age.

Thank you for your insightful and thoughtful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”