Official Review: ADHD can be improved with your bare hands

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: ADHD can be improved with your bare hands

Post by kfwilson6 »

I was really hoping this book would offer sound alternatives to medication. I don't want to rock anyone's boat, but I truly believe doctors and parents are too quick to diagnose kids with ADD/ADHD and medicate them without trying any natural remedies. Kids are naturally energetic (goodness I can't imagine having any kids because I don't have that kind of energy) and they just need to keep busy physically, not just mentally.

Wonderful review. You were very tactful in your approach in advising the author.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

kfwilson6 wrote: 06 Jun 2018, 08:31 I was really hoping this book would offer sound alternatives to medication. I don't want to rock anyone's boat, but I truly believe doctors and parents are too quick to diagnose kids with ADD/ADHD and medicate them without trying any natural remedies. Kids are naturally energetic (goodness I can't imagine having any kids because I don't have that kind of energy) and they just need to keep busy physically, not just mentally.

Wonderful review. You were very tactful in your approach in advising the author.
It surprises me sometimes how quickly a diagnosis is made. I think with so many available articles online, people even tend to do the diagnosis themselves. I remember seeing a checklist for the diagnosis, where a child has to meet a certain number of criteria across two or three settings (home, school, etc.). From my experience, though, a good psychologist would usually administer several tests, conduct a home visit, interview the parents, and interact with the child.

The author is clearly an expert in the field, and I appreciate his intent to help. I do hope to see a future edition of this book.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Reading a hard to understand or incomprehensible instructions pertaining to a sensitive endeavor is dangerous, to say the least. I agree that this needs a round of editing first. Thanks for your review.
Kirsi Cultrera
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kirsi-cultrera.html
Latest Review: Remembering Stardust by C. D. Baker

Post by Kirsi Cultrera »

The topic of this book is truly interesting, and the author seems to have some new ideas in order to help children with ADHD. Unfortunately, it is as the reviewer states. Bad translation and editing are both things that have a high impact on credibility. Thumbs up for the author for trying to help kids with ADHD. I hope some extra work is done with this otherwise so promising book.

Thanks for the detailed review!
Kirsi
Official Reviewer Representative
Susan Gibbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susan-gibbs.html
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago

Post by Susan Gibbs »

This is an excellent review. I'm impressed by how you offer the author constructive suggestions as to how the book can be improved and you do that in such a thoughtful way. This is a very honest and helpful discussion of the book. I understand that English is not the author's first language, but the writing style is a little difficult to read.
Latest Review: Wisdom by Arun mago
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I hope the author heeded your advice about the errors. Thanks for your review.
Zelda Boshoff
Favorite Book: Strong Heart
Currently Reading: The Elf Legacy - Book Five of the Magi Charter
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelda-boshoff.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Zelda Boshoff »

I think life with a child with ADHD can be overwhelming and the daily challenges stressful, the understanding how to calm your child with the guidance of this book will be very stressful. Thank you for the review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”