Official Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

​What does it take to push an ordinary person into committing an extraordinary act? What does it take to repeat that extraordinary act seven times? In his memoir, The Altitude Journals, David J. Mauro tells the story of ​his experiences climbing and summiting the tallest peaks of each of the seven continents, and the physical and psychological journey to each peak.

At the age of 44, when his life had hit a low point that left him feeling like he had little to lose, David Mauro was offered a chance to join his brother-in-law on an expedition to the top of Denali, the highest peak in North America. He was welcomed as one of two newbies to join a team of experienced climbers, and with training and support from his teammates, achieved the summit. The experience awoke a sense of purpose within him, and upon his return he began to rebuild his life, soon meeting his soulmate. Though he did not consider himself a true climber, he felt the pull of the next peak calling to him, and went on to answer the call of each of the so-called Seven Summits, over the course of the next seven years.

One of the most fascinating aspects of this book is that each mountain seems to have a unique and memorable personality. Though the dangers of altitude sickness, frostbite, hypothermia and the general threat of death or serious injury are universal elements on the climbs, each mountain has different lessons to impart on the climber as well as the reader. The author details the learning experience that occurred on the actual climb, as well as the emotional revelations that he processed upon his return. The mountains themselves are a metaphor for his personal demons, though he is clear that one of the initial lessons he came to understand is that the act of climbing cannot simply amount to the pursuit of the next goal. Rather, through the act of conquering the summits he learns that one must confront and overcome the problems in one's life, and that those accomplishments are among the few things that cannot be taken away from a person.

Despite the levity of the themes mentioned above, Mauro also finds the space to include amusing anecdotes of his rookie climbing mistakes and lessons learned. Some of the humorous moments include stories of melting cheese in his armpits and learning to pee into a bottle while lying down in a crowded tent. This sense of humor adds to the charm and general vulnerability of the account, and balances out the sections of white-knuckle excitement.

One of the final lessons Mr. Mauro learns during his adventures is that vulnerability is essential to life, and that (just like one lays his life on the line when choosing to conquer the tallest peaks) one must put his or her heart on the line in order to fully experience love. His vulnerability is what makes this such an intriguing story. Though readers who have experience with high-altitude expeditions may find quite a bit with which to relate in the stories of his achievements, the common reader is more likely to relate to the descriptions of his struggles. The author's willingness to show all of the aspects of the experience - the difficulties, the fears, the frustrations - result in a reading experience that is simultaneously impressive and relatable.

The writing itself is immediately effective in grabbing the reader's attention. The details are succinct, yet vivid, and the lively pace flows smoothly through the most interesting elements of the climb, as well as the days leading up to it. The author seems to have an excellent feel for the type of information to include, and what to leave out, and at no point throughout the narrative did I feel like I was forced to make an effort to continue reading. Rather, as I progressed through each page, I was eager to learn what would happen next. I rate this memoir 4 out of 4 stars, and recommend it to anyone who enjoys stories of travel, adventure, mountain climbing, as well as readers looking for an uplifting and energizing experience.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

Sounds like a beautiful story. I enjoy books about travel and adventure, and the fact that these are the author's own experiences makes it even more appealing to me. Thank you for the great review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like an amazing read. I love true-life stories of "feats," so this on is definitely on my "to read" list. It seems like the reader is really made to engage with the author's struggles and feelings, like I would "disappear" into this book. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds like it's got a bit of something for everyone. I've never done any climbing such as that, but it sounds like I could really relate to his struggles. Thanks so much for introducing us to this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an amazing story. Thanks for the beautifully written review.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

This sounds like an excellent book for my friends and I here in Colorado!

When we moved here some years ago, my husband and I were blasted with discussion after discussion about climbing "fourteeners." Now, these aren't the monstrous peaks of the Alps or Himalayas, but they are the tallest peaks in the continental Rockies.

After doing some research we finally summited our first one and we've never looked back! We try to summit at least 3-4 new ones each summer!

I am going to check this book out for myself, plus, I think it will be a great gift for our hiking friends!

“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Nmadinachi Egwim
Currently Reading: The Mysterious Schoolmaster
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmadinachi-egwim.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Nmadinachi Egwim »

I'm part of the crowd that'll relate more with the metaphorical aspect of the author's adventure as it applies to daily life struggles. Thanks for your review! :)
daniya__shah3
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniya-shah3.html
Latest Review: Lonely Expiation by Siegfried Finser

Post by daniya__shah3 »

This sounds like a beautiful book. Adventures juxtaposed against metaphors sound like a treat to a reader's ears. And the fact that this book gives importance to vulnerabilities makes it even more appealing. Great review!
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
Ana-Maria-Diana
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-maria-diana.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Ana-Maria-Diana »

It is fascinating to understand how a man can see the world after life changing experinces. Thank you for the review.
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I am thoroughly enjoying this book, much more than I had anticipated at the start of it. At first I saw the author as a 44 year old, slightly self-absorbed man suffering a mid-life crisis. Well, you can't judge a book by it's cover. As I delved into the story further and he shared more of his experiences I gained a much better understanding of he came to be at the lowest point of his life. How he climbs out of it, I can only say is scary, breathtaking and amazing all at the same time.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

I just got done reviewing this book and I was very impressed with it. I didn't expect to be as drawn to the book as I was.I gave the book 4 stars also. Great review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
Jmar_la
Currently Reading: Toxic Side Effect
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jmar-la.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Jmar_la »

I read this book and couldn't put it down. Non-fiction is not my favorite genre, but this book was very special in how it was written and also, the way he wrote about the adventure made me feel I was there with him. I hope to see more from him.
melindasuenlee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melindasuenlee.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by melindasuenlee »

I read this book as my first book assignment and I absolutely loved it! I have now resolved to try regular, casual hiking in the area when Fall comes around. When I am out of breath, I hope I can pretend I am Mauro scaling Everest.
history100
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-history100.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by history100 »

I read and reviewed this book also but only gave it 3 out of 4 stars. I agree with most of your review but there were parts of the book that didn't make sense. Why did he write about his improv experiences? I imagine he was making a point about trying new things but it seemed so disconnected from the rest of the book. It broke the momentum and felt forced. Did anyone else get that sense?
maribeth_condon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by maribeth_condon »

:techie-reference:
This sounds like a book that I may enjoy. I will have to seek it out, thanks for the thorough review.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”