Official Review: Her Story by The Dr. Michelle

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Her Story by The Dr. Michelle

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Her Story" by The Dr. Michelle.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

They should not have been married. They were too young and unsure. Still, the young couple took the advice from the elders in their religious group and got married. It ended in divorce. As a single mom with all odds against her, the impressionable young woman started out on her own. Author The Dr. Michelle shares her personal experiences and the wisdom she has gained in Her Story: Turning Pain Into Purpose.

As a young girl, Michelle greatly admired her mother and grandmother. The two women were strong and beautiful. Even their flaws added to the ladies’ intrigue. Michelle learned many important lessons from the two, but when she found herself solely responsible for her needs and the needs of her daughter, she was not proud of the life she was living. In a spiritual moment of clarity, Michelle decided that she would provide a comfortable lifestyle for herself and her daughter without compromising her body or her soul. The journey that followed transformed a lost young woman into The Dr. Michelle Fennick.

This short read is a truly inspirational memoir. The Dr. Michelle set goals for her life, and her achievements are more than impressive. Many young women find themselves in the same situation as the author did, but The Dr. Michelle did more than survive, she turned her pain into power. The author opens the book by letting the reader know that she is very shy. It was difficult for her to share the intimate details of her life. Still, I wish that she had gone into further detail when she was discussing the personalities of her mother and grandmother. I realize that this book is not their memoir, but The Dr. Michelle shows such admiration for the two. This admiration left me yearning for more of the wisdom that The Dr. Michelle gained from her mother and grandmother.

I admire this shy author for writing such an inspirational and personal book. However, there are many editing errors throughout the text. These mistakes include missing and misspelled words. Furthermore, the book is vague and difficult to understand in some areas. The Dr. Michelle and her family are inspirational and intriguing people. The lack of detail was a disappointment.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is a great start. There is an amazing story here. I really like The Dr. Michelle and her family, but I needed more as a reader. Young women, especially young women of color, will be inspired by The Dr. Michelle’s story.

Her Story
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

A motivational story. The story is touching and relatable and I would love to read this book. Thanks for the review.
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Sounds like an inspirational story of personal growth and development amidst all the obstacles. Your review has piqued my interest in the book.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Do you ever figure out why she refers to herself as "The Dr."? Seems kind of odd...
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This does sound like an inspirational memoir. I enjoy reading about relationships from one generation to the next. Thanks for the introduction to this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I admire anyone who can turn pain into power as you say. However, this just isn't a book for me. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it. Nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

It sounds like a compelling emotional story.
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This sounds like an inspirational and helpful book and a story of a brave person. I will add it to my shelves, thanks.
kdawes17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kdawes17 »

From my perspertive I admit she got married to young and then she feels like everything is falling apart. Then her marriage ended in a divorce ,now she have to face the reality that she a single mother. I really must say it's a scary feeling ,so I must say she's has to step her game up to make things better for her and her daughter.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Referring to someone as The Dr. Michelle is very odd. However, books that talk about family seem to be great focuses for inspiration.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”