Review by maggiechap -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
maggiechap
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 260
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Review by maggiechap -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by maggiechap » 30 May 2018, 13:11

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What’s the best life advice you’ve ever gotten? Who has impacted your life the most and how have you impacted others? These are the questions that author Rob White answers in his 198-page memoir, And Then I Met Margaret. White recounts the most important life lessons he’s learned over the years, how they’ve affected his life and how he’s passed them on to his friends later on.

White’s language was relaxed, humorous at times, and best of all, honest. He didn’t hide from owning up to the mistakes he made, but he acknowledged each lesson he learned from them, something few people do. Beyond that, he chose to put what he learned in action. His stories were beautifully written and elegantly told. It’s easy to see the heart and soul that went into the story, from stories about inspirational college professors to business deals gone wrong. White proves that everything truly does happen for a reason, and what we take away from that is truly up to us.

I frequently found myself relating to the stories he told, or thinking back to lessons I remembered in my own personal life and how I appreciated learning those lessons.

Margaret, the book's namesake, plays a limited role in the concluding chapter of the book, but the important part of the story is every step and lesson that leads up to meeting Margaret. I realized quickly in the last chapter that White’s intention of leaving Margaret’s impact last was a reminder to us all. In his last words, White reminds us that no matter how far we’ve come, we never truly stop learning how to be better versions of ourselves.

The book was impeccably written with only a few grammatical errors that I noticed. White organized the story in ways that made sense and each lesson led to the next. It was easy to see the path that the lessons laid in his life and how he chose to embrace each moment and the stories were always entertaining.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone looking for a humorous, uplifting read and anyone who is looking for direction and assurance. I think this would be the kind of gift to give high school students at graduation. I already have a few people I want to recommend this book to. People who absolutely hate memoirs might not like this book, but I still believe it has something to teach us all.

Based on a solid storytelling by White, a professionally edited and beautiful narrative, and meaningful stories that left me with a practical, positive impact the story desired, I happily rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like maggiechap's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”