Official Review: The Sound of One Hand Clapping

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Supergirl1
2018 Reading Goal: 30
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 113
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Casanova Cowboy by Jo Ann Bender
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Official Review: The Sound of One Hand Clapping

Post by Supergirl1 » 30 May 2018, 01:56

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sound of One Hand Clapping" by Dale Lisi.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

When a man hits his lowest ebb in life, many of his actions may appear to the observer, as those of an unhinged soul. His speech might even be considered fanciful and demented. Author Dale Lisi has been to such a low point and back. In this book, he shares his experiences and the rationale behind his actions in his quest to grasp the mysteries of faith.

Dale has aptly named this book The Sound of One Hand Clapping. Divided into six parts, the first part comprises five chapters wherein he recounts his experiences, starting with the details of the boating accident that cost him an arm. In parts two to six, the author examines and explains some ancient occurrences he believes to have a bearing on life today, and ultimately in the future. An extensive examination of the Bible book of Revelations is also given, wherein the author furnishes readers with his conviction of what the signs, symbols, visions and prophecies contained in that Bible book mean.

One of my high points in this book is Dale’s sad but somewhat funny experience on his initial trip out to sea after his accident. He had prayed to God for help when he had problems with his boat and gave thanks when the boat worked. However, as soon as the boat stopped working, he got very angry and started cursing and hurling profanities; immediately regretting his trust in God and Jesus. After some time, he felt more composed and starts trying to make amends with them. This behavior is typical of many humans who believe in God, and points to a lack of true faith. Dale had a few more experiences of this nature, but he finally learns to have absolute trust in God.

Reading other people’s experiences is something I enjoy, which was one major reason I chose to read this book. Therefore, it was rather disappointing for me to discover that almost half of the book dwells on Dale’s religious beliefs. Some of these are things he has learned, and others are assumptions he believes to be true. While I terribly don’t mind him sharing his beliefs, a part of me felt somewhat sermonized.

This book is also in need of editing. The use of commas and semicolons is somewhat on the excessive side all through the book. The text also contains a lot of run-on sentences, and in the first part alone I found more than 10 errors. Therefore, I have decided to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. However, Dale shares a thought provoking story that I believe everyone who enjoys memoirs may love. People who like deeply religious books may also like to give this one a go.

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
View: on Bookshelves

Like Supergirl1's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Bookshelf Size: 186
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Humor and Wisdom of the Aged by Euclid Isbell

Post by kandscreeley » 13 Jun 2018, 08:53

I can understand your disappointment with this book. Going into something thinking it's about a man's life only to find that it's a treatise on his beliefs would definitely do it. I'm sorry this wasn't what your expecting, and I don't think I'll be reading it either. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 » 13 Jun 2018, 09:19

kandscreeley wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 08:53
I can understand your disappointment with this book. Going into something thinking it's about a man's life only to find that it's a treatise on his beliefs would definitely do it. I'm sorry this wasn't what your expecting, and I don't think I'll be reading it either. Thanks for the review, though.
You know that feeling as a child when mom holds out ice cream, then you open your mouth and get a spoonful of peas. :cry: :cry:

AmySmiles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Desiderata by Aakash Doshi

Post by AmySmiles » 13 Jun 2018, 09:29

Wow, I totally understand about being mislead about a book. Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sticking through it and writing the review. It is a shame about the poor editing as well. While I enjoy reading religious books and reading about others lives, I think I'll be skipping this book.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown

gen_g
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Boss Bitch: A Simple 12-Step Plan to Take Charge of Your Career by Nicole Lapin

Post by gen_g » 13 Jun 2018, 09:58

This doesn't sound like something I would be interested in reading, and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy it as much as you expected. Thanks for the lovely review though!

Sahani Nimandra
Trial Bookshelves Moderator
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal: 5
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 89
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 180
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... >Emotional Intelligence</a>
Currently Reading: A World Without Color
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: The Buried Secrets of Peonies by Mernegar Dorgoly

Post by Sahani Nimandra » 13 Jun 2018, 10:31

I understand your point, usually a good read about experience should be straight as if you are addressing the reader. Too bad that you felt it was like a sermon. I will pass this book, but thank you for your review!
Happiness is a cup of coffee and a good book!

Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 » 13 Jun 2018, 18:34

AmySmiles wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:29
Wow, I totally understand about being mislead about a book. Sorry that happened to you, but thanks for sticking through it and writing the review. It is a shame about the poor editing as well. While I enjoy reading religious books and reading about others lives, I think I'll be skipping this book.
Thanks for reading the review. :)

Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 » 13 Jun 2018, 18:35

gen_g wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 09:58
This doesn't sound like something I would be interested in reading, and I'm sorry that you did not enjoy it as much as you expected. Thanks for the lovely review though!
You’re welcome. Thanks for reading it.

Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 » 13 Jun 2018, 18:37

Sahani Nimandra wrote:
13 Jun 2018, 10:31
I understand your point, usually a good read about experience should be straight as if you are addressing the reader. Too bad that you felt it was like a sermon. I will pass this book, but thank you for your review!
Well, the first part was experience. Then the rest of the book was just something else. Thanks for reading my review.

Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Of Illusions and Ink Spills by Divya Hirani

Post by Kemunto lucy » 14 Jun 2018, 04:24

The errors are disappointing. The story sounds nice .Thanks for the review.

SamSim
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 43
Currently Reading: The Lucky Two
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: Stepping Up by donalyn Powell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 14 Jun 2018, 10:02

Since a person's belief system is so intricately entwined with the way they perceive and experience life, I don't mind so much if an autobiography or memoir gets heavy into the author's spiritual thoughts, so I was ready to read this after your recap of the book. Run-on sentences make me want to "run on" in the opposite direction, though. (Wah, wah, wah ... bad pun, I know.) I'll pass on this one until a good editor gets their hands on it. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 » 14 Jun 2018, 22:35

I was hesitant to read this book, and I think I am going to pass on it. I have heard mixed reviews, but I don't see myself enjoying this book.

ParadoxicalWoman
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 13
Currently Reading: Vilette
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paradoxicalwoman.html
Latest Review: "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White

Post by ParadoxicalWoman » 15 Jun 2018, 09:59

One's religion is what shapes a person's perspective on life. Im sorry for your bad experience with this book and thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Plfern
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2017 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 33
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-plfern.html
Latest Review: Something About Ann by J. Everett Prewitt

Post by Plfern » 15 Jun 2018, 10:04

Your review of The Sound of One Hand Clapping was interesting. Too bad you didn't enjoy the read. I like these kind of books, simply because the story tells about the man's struggle and how he dealt with it i.e. through his faith in God, wavering or not.

Supergirl1
Currently Reading:

Post by Supergirl1 » 16 Jun 2018, 02:53

SamSim wrote:
14 Jun 2018, 10:02
Since a person's belief system is so intricately entwined with the way they perceive and experience life, I don't mind so much if an autobiography or memoir gets heavy into the author's spiritual thoughts, so I was ready to read this after your recap of the book. Run-on sentences make me want to "run on" in the opposite direction, though. (Wah, wah, wah ... bad pun, I know.) I'll pass on this one until a good editor gets their hands on it. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you Sam. This lools like a book you might enjoy.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”