Review by Cdeyoungde -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Cdeyoungde
2018 Reading Goal: 150
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 16
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cdeyoungde.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Review by Cdeyoungde -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Cdeyoungde » 29 May 2018, 19:16

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
I give Rob White’s book a 4 out of 4 stars. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. From the title, I wasn’t aware that it was a motivational/inspirational type of book. Based on the Introduction of the book, I was worried that the author was going to go into details about specific nuggets of wisdom he gleaned from big self-help gurus around the world. However, that was not the case.

Each chapter is a personal story from his life that begins with a myth that either he or the general public seem to perpetuate. Like: Not everyone can be a winner, someone has to be a loser. (Not an actual example. I’m paraphrasing.) But then, the author tells a story about a time when someone in his life gave him a few words of wisdom that ultimately helped him reshape that myth. For example, if he believed the myth that we all can’t be winners. His new truth would be: We are all winners at something.

Later in Rob White’s life, he was also able to “pay it forward” by passing on these words of wisdom, and in some cases, he was able to see the young individuals who took his advice grow and benefit as a result. I was particularly inspired by the author’s honesty in the stories and impressed with his ability to learn valuable lessons when it seems so many others in our society never learn such valuable lessons.

The reading of the book, for me, felt like divine providence for my own life. I needed to hear these little life lessons, and I feel that anyone else who reads it will feel the same. Life is full of learning opportunities. Rob White points out the fact that these life lessons are always available to us if only we choose to listen and learn. Unfortunately, too many of us are so busy with our lives that we don’t take the time to listen and learn.

I thought the book was well written and edited. There were a few minor word omissions or typos, but it did not deter from the reading of the book. I enjoy a book that I can get caught up in and not have to stumble over mistakes. This was a fluid and easy-to-read book that would appeal to many people from all age groups.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cdeyoungde's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”