Review by Chanti Stargirl -- And Then I Met Margaret

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Chanti Stargirl
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 20
Currently Reading: The Improbable Wonders of Moojie Littleman
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chanti-stargirl.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Review by Chanti Stargirl -- And Then I Met Margaret

Post by Chanti Stargirl » 29 May 2018, 03:54

[Following is a volunteer review of "And Then I Met Margaret" by Rob White.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the book And Then I met Margaret: Stories of Ordinary Guru’s, author Rob White shows how regular people that we meet every day can have a massive transformational effect on us. He demonstrates how brief chance encounters have the potential to completely change the direction of our lives.

Each chapter starts with an assumed belief the author had and is then followed by the account of how that belief changed. The stories are varied and compelling, with Rob White’s life story artfully entwined in the stories of his Ordinary Guru’s. My favourite story was Chapter 8 titled: A little trick I like to call “Pay Attention”. Here the author tells the story of a lesson he learnt from his college’s grounds-keeper, Mr Lampkin, and how a disaster caused a shift in the way he viewed work and life. I enjoyed how down-to-earth the story was. The tale was also so typical of a growing up experience that it was completely relatable.

The characters are very diverse ranging from a tiny grade school child, to the silent customer in the line and a struggling deer. All their stories are told with subtle humor and the lessons learnt are not always what you expect them to be. There are, however, recurring themes such as bravery and self-integrity which tie the stories and the lessons together.

I enjoyed the engaging narration of the stories. The author introduces the characters and concepts in a very insightful manner. He tells his own story and how the idea or new belief was presented to him and then goes on to show the reader how he had applied this belief or principal in his life. In most stories he also mentions how he passed on the lesson and taught it to someone else. His multi-faceted way of presenting the concept makes it easier for people from different walks of life to be able to understand and learn from his stories. The whole book has a familiar, informal feel that almost makes it seem like you’re listening to your parents or grandparents tales of when they were young.

I found this book very quick and easy to read. It opens your mind to a new way of looking at situations and question what is assumed. I give this book a 4 out of 4 star rating because it is a very well written and entertaining book. Readers that enjoy personal stories, such as memoirs and biographies, as well as inspiration and motivational tales will appreciate this book.

And Then I Met Margaret
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Chanti Stargirl's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”