Official Review: Prairie Patriarch

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Nixon
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nixon.html
Latest Review: Saving Grace by Kathryn Garten

Official Review: Prairie Patriarch

Post by Amanda Nixon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Prairie Patriarch" by Rosemary J. Erickson, Ph.D..]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dewey Erickson is one of twelve children in a Norwegian American family. Refusing to be overlooked, Dewey formed his own life path in the wilderness of South Dakota. Dewey’s daughter, Rosemary J. Erickson, took to heart the lessons her father taught her. Dewey’s lessons drove her to follow her passion to become a forensic sociologist. In Prairie Patriarch, Rosemary writes about her father’s real life journey and how he impacted her.

The author, Rosemary J. Erickson, did a fantastic job of capturing the time period that Dewey lived in. Her vivid descriptions of the hardships that were encountered in the 20th century mark the reader with unforgettable images. The reader is left with a real sense of empathy as the images the author creates flood the reader’s mind. It is an extremely difficult task for an author to evoke real feelings in a reader. I think that with Rosemary Erickson’s fascinating descriptions, she has been able to enchant her readers and leave them with deep feelings for what her characters are experiencing.

The story was really inspiring. Dewey seems like such a determined individual and I think that it was important to get his story out in the world. Dewey faced a lot of hardship but always found a way to create strength from his own misfortune. The author captures Dewey’s strength, determination, and growth by telling the story at an excellent pace and with a very conversational tone. Her pace makes Dewey’s growth seem like a natural flow of events. Meanwhile, the author’s conversational tone makes the reader feel as though they are being told a story by a friend. Hearing a story from a friend can often be much more captivating than hearing a story from a stranger. By captivating her readers, Rosemary makes her audience feel as though they are there while the events in the book are taking place. I would also like to point out that the book had an excellent editor because I did not notice any mistakes. Grammar and punctuation mistakes can often severely hurt the flow of a book.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I honestly cannot think of one thing that bothered me about Prairie Patriarch. It was such a well written book. The descriptions were amazingly detailed but not extremely long. In addition, the book was inspiring and the author’s conversational tone made me want to keep reading.

If you enjoy a book that feels as though you are speaking with the author, then I would recommend this book to you. I would also recommend this book if you are interested in reading true stories that are very inspiring. If you are not interested in reading a lot of detail and prefer to get straight to dialogue, then I would not recommend this book to you.

Prairie Patriarch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like anix67's review? Post a comment saying so!
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds like a perfect read and has all the elements to inspire any individual to become a better person. Thank you for your great review.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

The good writing and down-to-earth narrative style makes this book sound like a wonderful read. The plot seems very heartwarming as well--I might just check it out!

Thank you for your detailed review! :)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I love uplifting, historical, true-life stories. Your review is wonderful and it sounds like this book is too. Thanks for the recommendation!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”