Review by angel2018 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
angel2018
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angel2018.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Review by angel2018 -- Who Told You That You Were Naked?

Post by angel2018 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book by William .E.Combs is an interesting book which should be read by everyone. His re examination of what happened at Eden opens up new areas of thought as one reads it. I n chapter two which is tilted: [Naked in the Garden], makes me realize that the disobedience of Adam and Eve lead to man's spiritual death and not just spiritual death but also relational death- that is the openness Adam and Eve shared witheach other was no longer there, more importantly they faced relational death with God. Furthermore the book is also full of vignettes which also makes it an interesting read for anyone who picks up the book to read. One of such vignettes is stated thus "Adam stooped down , picked up a flat pebble and tossed it playfully at a tuft of reeds just out from the river banks''. I rate this book 3 out of four stars.

However, I have a few objections about the vignettes used by the author, to me some of them are not quite appropriate. For example the vignette where God took Adam to the garden: ''you observed as we travelled here the surrounding environs are much different and you will need to care for this oasis so it does not revert to its former existence'' to me this is not appropriate because the author tried to portray the surrounding environs to the garden as being hostile which I believe is in no way implied by the Bible because in Gen 1:31 the Bible recorded that God saw all that he had made and it was very good and this was prior to Gen2:8 where it recorded that God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden.

Secondly, the analysis of the death of Lively to me is also inappropriate because I believe that at the time of creation all animals were dwelling together without anyone being a prey to the other. I believe that the resultant effect of other animals feeding on lower ones such as the lions on the ewe was as a result of Adam's disobedience. His disobedience affected everything even the animals, the vegetation and the whole earth because after they sinned God told Adam in Gen 3:17: ''cursed is the ground for your sake, in toil you shall eat of it...both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you''. In essence I believe that after creation everything was in perfect tranquility including the animals until Adam sinned which then changed everything.

Having said all this I rate this book 3 out 4 stars, I do so because it has opened my understanding to new areas of thought which has been beneficial. Furthermore the book has made me to go study my Bible again to gain more understanding of what transpired at the garden of Eden.

Apart from my objections the book is loaded with study questions after each chapter which makes the book interesting, with the study questions one can question some statements made by the author by ruminating on them and then come up with your own thoughts about the book ''Who Told You That You Were Naked''. The book is also insightful because we always see ourselves in the light of what people think about us and not what God says we are. This sense of inadequacies always pushes us to try to clothe ourselves with all manner of things in order to prove we are no longer vulnerable just as the writer rightly stated: ''we can ''clothe'' ourselves with the trappings of wealth, education, a notable position, or even religious piety in an attempt to persuade ourselves we no longer feel vulnerable.

Who Told You That You Were Naked?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like angel2018's review? Post a comment saying so!

Anthony__
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 340
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Moe And His Best Friend Boo by Nancy Alan

Post by Anthony__ »

I also love the fact that the book is loaded with study questions after each chapter. The book is intriguing, I rated it 4 out of 4. Great review

Itskai88
2019 Reading Goal: 61
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

"Furthermore the book has made me to go study my Bible again". i find this true, the book does have that effect. It is a good book and your review is great so thank you.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”