Official Review: A Hole in my Road by Bob S

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Lovebooks83
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Official Review: A Hole in my Road by Bob S

Post by Lovebooks83 »

Love the book. I have many of friends I can get this for. It’s a very awful addiction
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

This book is relatable. I have personally witnessed a family member struggle with alcohol addiction and it is not an easy thing. The denial stage is terrible and it needs almost a miracle to overcome. Thanks for the review.
joseph4real84

Post by joseph4real84 »

A very impressing review, i wish to have one of the copy so that i can pass on to some of my friends around the globe who thinks that addiction problem can never be solved. Good work sir, keep it up.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the great review, it seems like a really inspiring read.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

This is a wonderful review, and the book sounds like a very good read. I'll make sure to add it to my bookshelf so I can read it later.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Addictions are hard on everyone. These stories are so inspiring and helpful for others. Thanks for a great review.
danielsyengo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielsyengo.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by danielsyengo »

Wow! I would like to read this. It can help me help someone. I have some relatives who are addicts of alcohol and tobacco.
davieschairax+

Post by davieschairax+ »

The review sounds very interesting to read. I will look for it where and about for me to catch the glimpse.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

This is a topic that is often ignored or swept under the rug. I’m so glad to see that someone is addressing the triggers and how to get help without placing blame on anyone. No one ever plans to become an addict, and the most important part is knowing how to get help for yourself and your family. It’s only too bad that this book needed more editing. I hate to see that mar an otherwise excellent book.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

The author seems to hit the nail on the head with "denial and selective memory" as components to addictive behaviors. Addicts in my family are notorious for these character traits. I think this might be a helpful book for me! Thanks for this review!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors. Because this sounds like it has a very wide reaching audience. I'm glad that the author was able to share his experiences. Thanks for sharing this one with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

G_A_S wrote: 28 May 2018, 05:46 A beautifully written review!
Thanks so much for reading and commenting!
revna01
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

teacherjh wrote: 28 May 2018, 07:27 I almost picked this one to review. It sounds informative and personal. You did a great job on the review.
Thanks so much, I appreciate your kind words :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 28 May 2018, 08:24 Kudos to the author for sharing his thoughts on this subject. Addiction is such a delicate topic that gets danced around by most people, so this is really refreshing. Thanks for your profound review - I really enjoyed it :)
Thanks for the lovely sentiments :)
revna01

Post by revna01 »

SamSim wrote: 28 May 2018, 08:57
SABRADLEY wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:52 This book has far-reaching benefits with its ability to humanize a very demonized topic. Many families suffer from the effects of alcohol or drug abuse, making the subject extremely relevant and relatable. The book is informative and concise while never giving the impression of condescension or finger-pointing. Its layout is easy to follow and its verbiage is simple, making it accessible to anyone. Bob ties in enough of his personal story to make the book feel as though I was conversing with a trusted friend. With a few photos, poetry, and affirming quotes, there is a feeling of personablity and authenticity seeped into the pages.
Great review! More people should write honest, personal books about struggles like these - as you said, it humanizes the subject without glorifying it and encourages others to admit the problems in their own lives and seek healing. With the success of each work like this one, we're tearing off masks that only enable destruction and freeing others to be authentic and overcome addictions. Thanks for the thorough review.
Well said! Thank you for your thoughts :)

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”