Official Review: A Hole in my Road by Bob S

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Official Review: A Hole in my Road by Bob S

Post by revna01 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Hole in my Road" by Bob S.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Hole In My Road: A Personal and Professional Journey of Recovery is a non-fiction book by Bob S., CDP, which details the author’s battle with alcoholism and reveals what he has learned about chemical dependency and how to overcome it. After sharing the painful story of his son’s death as a result of drugs, Bob briefly discusses his own life growing up as an overlooked middle child who quickly learned to bury his emotions. It was only a matter of time before alcohol experimentation began, and subsequently ballooned into a problem that would lead to two failed marriages. From there, Bob wastes no time getting to the heart of the subject of chemical dependency.

At just over two hundred pages, this book packs a punch into its relatively short narrative. Bob discusses the four main areas of life, as he sees them: health, financial, social, and spiritual, and demonstrates the role alcohol/drug use plays in these areas. He provides information for optimizing health and personal fulfillment, which is a foundation for getting and staying sober.

There are many reasons people become addicts and even more reasons why they refuse to get help; denial and selective memory are two major components. Bob provides a comprehensive list of the key ingredients necessary for a successful recovery, including a change in mindset, acceptance of the problem, social support from non-addicts, attending Alcoholics Anonymous (A.A.) meetings, and avoiding emotional triggers that often lead to relapse. A.A. is discussed in depth, and for anyone unsure what to expect at a meeting, the answer is revealed, right down to the 12 steps. From describing various drugs and their social stigma, to health consequences, Bob leaves no stone unturned. He concludes his book with testimonials of recovering users, each offering a ray of hope to someone in the throws of addiction.

This book has far-reaching benefits with its ability to humanize a very demonized topic. Many families suffer from the effects of alcohol or drug abuse, making the subject extremely relevant and relatable. The book is informative and concise while never giving the impression of condescension or finger-pointing. Its layout is easy to follow and its verbiage is simple, making it accessible to anyone. Bob ties in enough of his personal story to make the book feel as though I was conversing with a trusted friend. With a few photos, poetry, and affirming quotes, there is a feeling of personablity and authenticity seeped into the pages.

There was nothing I felt the book was lacking, with the exception of the editing; I had already found more than ten errors relatively early on in my reading. For the most part they were punctuation errors. I would recommend this book to anyone faced with a problem of addiction, whether it be a personal affliction or that of a loved one. The information contained in this book uses a constructive and unintimidating manner to shine light on a serious issue, and has earned a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. With another round of editing, I would gladly give it full marks.

A Hole in my Road
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like revna01's review? Post a comment saying so!
G_A_S
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by G_A_S »

A beautifully written review!
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I almost picked this one to review. It sounds informative and personal. You did a great job on the review.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Kudos to the author for sharing his thoughts on this subject. Addiction is such a delicate topic that gets danced around by most people, so this is really refreshing. Thanks for your profound review - I really enjoyed it :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

SABRADLEY wrote: 27 May 2018, 14:52 This book has far-reaching benefits with its ability to humanize a very demonized topic. Many families suffer from the effects of alcohol or drug abuse, making the subject extremely relevant and relatable. The book is informative and concise while never giving the impression of condescension or finger-pointing. Its layout is easy to follow and its verbiage is simple, making it accessible to anyone. Bob ties in enough of his personal story to make the book feel as though I was conversing with a trusted friend. With a few photos, poetry, and affirming quotes, there is a feeling of personablity and authenticity seeped into the pages.
Great review! More people should write honest, personal books about struggles like these - as you said, it humanizes the subject without glorifying it and encourages others to admit the problems in their own lives and seek healing. With the success of each work like this one, we're tearing off masks that only enable destruction and freeing others to be authentic and overcome addictions. Thanks for the thorough review.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
SereneCharles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serenecharles.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by SereneCharles »

With this review, I think I'd enjoy reading the book. Great write-up.
Writing is so much fun. So is reading. :techie-studyingbrown:
togormey
Currently Reading: Dodging Satan
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-togormey.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White

Post by togormey »

Great work. A book worth reading to overcome all kinds of addictions.
For what shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his soul?
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

This looks like a helpful read for me and for anyone who volunteers with or has contact with, people with alcohol addictions.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

Great review. Thank you.
kasoscar
Favorite Book: From Drift to SHIFT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by kasoscar »

I would love to say that, first the information made the name so great. Alcoholism, is not just a hole, but a Battle to the mental mindset of people. I hope with the information contained in this book and ways that will help tackle acholism, this is motivation to everyone.
Supergirl1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supergirl1.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley
Reading Device: B00M4L4NHY

Post by Supergirl1 »

Your review is so explanatory and clear. Having an alcoholic relative is hard, you keep wondering if there is something you are not doing to help.
I totally agree with the selective memory part.
Thanks for a review well written.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I cannot imagine the trauma that comes with losing a child but I love that Bob has taken the knocks he's gotten from life and turned them into something as positive as this book. Thank you for such an incredible review, SABRADLEY.
jesbetlove
Currently Reading: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by jesbetlove »

The book "A Hole in my Road" by Bob S, is simply amazing and inspiring on how one can overcome the challenges of an addiction. A hand of plus to you Mr Bob S. :D
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I'm sure this was a hard book for the author to write about...it is a shame that the lack of proper editing got in the way of this being a great book.
peepy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by peepy »

You really did a great work..it was explanatory and personal.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”