Official Review: We're Not Sixteen Anymore

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Official Review: We're Not Sixteen Anymore

Post by bookowlie »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We're Not Sixteen Anymore" by Becky Andersen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Becky Andersen’s We’re Not Sixteen Anymore: A Baby Boomer’s Adventures with Online Dating is a witty non-fiction book that can be categorized in the humor and self-help/relationships genres. It explores the author’s experiences when she dips her toe into cyber-dating. Meeting men online takes getting used to as Becky is fairly computer illiterate and hasn’t dated since the first astronauts stepped on the moon. As you can imagine, dating in your sixties carries its own set of challenges - wrinkles, sagging skin, no longer having a youthful figure, and, of course, being out of practice.

Right before she turns sixty-one, Becky decides to turn to the internet to meet men. It doesn’t hurt that one of her daughters already set up a dating website account on her behalf. It’s been a few years since Becky’s husband passed away and even her eighty-year-old mother tells her that she should start finding “friends” (translation: men).

The central theme takes a little while to get going. In the beginning of the story, the author reminisces about growing up in Iowa in the 1950’s and 1960’s, marrying her high school sweetheart at age twenty, and the fashion and beauty trends that were popular back then. Once Becky completes her profile on a dating site, the book becomes more absorbing.

I enjoyed this humorous account of a woman at a crossroads in her life. The author writes in a casual, conversational style that feels as if she is having coffee with an old friend. In most cases, each chapter focuses on a particular first date or follow-up date. There are also a few prospective suitors who seem promising during online chats, but an actual meeting fizzles out.

The author’s feelings about meeting men later in life are realistically written. Becky doesn’t want to waste time on men she doesn’t feel a romantic spark with. Still, she approaches the cyber-dating process with poise and a positive attitude.

My main gripe is there is hardly any mention of the author’s late husband. There is a brief backstory early in the story of how the couple met and then a tie-in during a later scene on a picnic date with an internet suitor. Since she had been married almost forty years, I thought there would have been more introspection about the difficulties of moving on and dating anyone. Instead, the story is light and breezy, with mostly funny vignettes about the different men she meets.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is a quick, interesting read that can be read in a day or two. I would recommend the story to readers who enjoy humorous memoirs and stories about dating in the age of technology.

We're Not Sixteen Anymore
View: on Bookshelves

Like bookowlie's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A a witty non-fiction book that explores the author’s dating experiences sounds entertaining. Odd that there is hardly any mention of the late husband, but then maybe she preferred to keep that part private. I am not fond of memoirs, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Awesome review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I loved the cover, the title, and everything else you've written down here. While I also find it odd that the late husband wasn't mentioned as much as expected, the rest of the narrative sounds like a blast! Thanks for this review!
liftedbooks
Currently Reading: The Ansgar Treasury
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liftedbooks.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri

Post by liftedbooks »

This sounds like a funny, interesting book. Thanks for the review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a humorous and light read. Thanks for the review!
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

The title sounded really cute, and it looks like the book is more of the same.
Kemunto lucy
Currently Reading: It's Easier to Dance
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemunto-lucy.html
Latest Review: Korian by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Kemunto lucy »

A fascinating book.I will check it out. Thanks for the review.
K_man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by K_man »

I will check it out it sound like a nice book to read
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Thanks everyone for the kind words! Gali, you might be right that the author wanted to keep parts of her life private. I think she probably didn't want to discuss her late husband too much since she wanted to keep the tone of the book light and humorous.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Internet dating for computer illiterates. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. :lol: I love this kind of fun, life experience book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Helen_Combe wrote: 29 May 2018, 09:15 Internet dating for computer illiterates. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. :lol: I love this kind of fun, life experience book.
I suspect her computer skills weren't as bad as she stated. She certainly became addicted to the dating website within a short time. :)
alisonedgee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alisonedgee.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by alisonedgee »

great review, this sounds really fun any enjoyable. light entertainment with a heart. i'm on board.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

I am very eager to find out if she actually met someone who she could spend the rest of her life with. It sounds like an epic book. Thanks for the review.
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Juliet Muia wrote: 29 May 2018, 10:16 I am very eager to find out if she actually met someone who she could spend the rest of her life with. It sounds like an epic book. Thanks for the review.
No spoilers. You will have to read the book to find out. :)
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

This sounds like a breezy, funny read for lying in my hammock while my kids play. I've never read a book quite like this one and I'm interested to see things from the author's unique but relevant point-of-view. Thanks for the great review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”