Official Review: "Our Year of First Without You"...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Official Review: "Our Year of First Without You"...

Post by Bianka Walter »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""Our Year of First Without You" 'A journey through suicide and organ donation'" by Bobbi Gilbert.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Bobby Pierce Forest Gilbert was a 17-year-old boy who committed suicide on 20th April 2015. After being found in his ex-girlfriends yard, he was rushed to the hospital. He was then declared brain-dead and because he was an organ donor, the doctors discussed options with his parents. On the 22nd, he was taken into surgery where his organs could be harvested. Unbelievably, Pierce was able to save 5 lives. He left behind a host of family and friends, as well as a letter explaining why he did it. Our Year of First Without You: A journey through suicide and organ donation takes us through the events leading up to and after his death.

This was a difficult book for me to review. I was really looking forward to hearing the author's journey through this traumatic event. I was interested to see how she coped with life after a child’s death. But I feel like I didn’t get a very personal account. The story read more like a written statement than an insightful and reflective interpretation of what happened. Bobbi Gilbert takes you through the series of events paragraph by paragraph, day by day, citing exactly what transpired. This way of writing removed me from the story and I never felt connected to the family the way I would have hoped.

The first part of the book had me feeling very uncomfortable. Mrs. Gilbert has a clear dislike of Sarah, Pierce’s on-again, off-again girlfriend. I would go as far as to say that she blames his suicide mostly on Sarah. There are places that she said that it was the depression that killed him, but her treatment of Sarah before and after his death is utterly hostile. The suicide is harrowing to say the least, and everyone who knew him felt the disturbance of his death. For me, there should be catharsis in forgiveness, and there was none here. Most of the book was a pure diatribe against Sarah. I feel like these journalistic rants against her were unnecessary.

I would have loved a deeper look into what Mrs. Gilbert was going through personally. She seemed unbelievably strong through the whole ordeal. There are pages and pages of anecdotes about family, friends and distant acquaintances who wished the family well through this hard time. I could have done with less of that. It was really respectful of Mrs. Gilbert to mention absolutely everyone who had a part to play, but there were far too many people to keep up with. Maybe mentioning how they helped her get through it would have been a nice touch, not just that they stopped by or called. I think after the mention of her “former hair chick” stopping by, I lost interest a little bit. And I really didn’t want to!

The insight into organ donation was truly remarkable. I loved that Pierce’s family got to meet a few of his recipients. I also thoroughly enjoyed the stories of their meetings. There were a few really interesting thoughts on organ donation, as well as some astounding statistics which I found surprising. I am an organ donor, but I think if I hadn’t been, I would have signed up immediately after reading this book. If this is the way I feel, I have no doubt this book will reach others - and that is a tremendous accomplishment.

Throughout the book, Mrs. Gilbert has added a bunch of photos, inspirational images and letters - including the original suicide note. I thought this was a very special touch. The photos are what ultimately brought me closer to the situation and made it all seem more real. My only gripe with the letters is that I couldn’t read them on my Kindle. They were too small. This was a total disappointment to me. I wanted to see what the donor recipients said, I wanted to read Morgan’s college essay, and I wanted to see more clearly what was said in the suicide note. I would sincerely recommend making the images larger for the Kindle version.

This book has not been professionally edited. There were countless grammatical errors. These included tense changes, formatting errors and spelling mistakes. There were errors that could easily have been picked up by an editor, including, “That afternoon, they took Morgan and her friend to lunch that afternoon.” A good proofread will vastly improve the readability of this book.

I hope Mrs. Gilbert found some release in writing this book. I have come to a rating of 2 out of 4 stars. The negativity stemming from the author is overwhelming at times. This, for a book about such a tragic event, should have been prevented. When recommending this book, I want to be able to say that it is a journey through how this family overcame and conquered their heartbreak. Unfortunately, I didn't get that feeling. I would, however, happily recommend it to anyone looking to become an organ donor. The one perfect thing that came from Pierce’s death is the gift he gave in saving the lives of those five people. And for that, he is a hero.

"Our Year of First Without You" 'A journey through suicide and organ donation'
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bianka Walter's review? Post a comment saying so!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

A book that covers such heavy subjects of suicide and organ donation would be difficult for me to read. When I saw the date that he died, I wondered if the mom still is heavily going through the grieving process, and from what you wrote, maybe the anger stage. I wonder if, as time goes by, that this book would change in tone as she finds healing..not forgetting, but that his suicide did not define her son and that the greater result of his life was the organ donation. Sounds so very tragic for all involved. I cannot even comprehend what a mother feels, thinks, ect, when faced with this. It sounds like a story that will stick with you for awhile. Good job on the details and the highlights of this one.
Everything happens for a reason...
JJNP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjnp.html
Latest Review: The Seduction of Religion by Paul Singh
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by JJNP »

Thanks for the review, I hoped that this book would be helpful for me, but I understand it isn't a straightforward story about suicide, as your review has said, so I am not sure if I will read it.
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

Wow! Just reading your review of this book makes me so sad. Although it is so tragic that Bobby committed suicide, it is still good that his organs were used to save lives. Great review.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

A schoolmate of mine recently committed suicide, so this book would be a hard one for me to read. And given your thoughts on it, I think I'll steer clear of it. Thank you for your review.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

So the whole story is connected with the author in one way or the other. It's quite a sad story. But the donation of an organ by a teenage boy is inspiring. Thanks for your well structured review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the detailed review! The story seems very inspiring, and it is touching that the author saw fit to share her experiences with the reader - and I hope that through writing, she can hopefully start to move forward.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

cpru68 wrote: 26 May 2018, 08:25 A book that covers such heavy subjects of suicide and organ donation would be difficult for me to read. When I saw the date that he died, I wondered if the mom still is heavily going through the grieving process, and from what you wrote, maybe the anger stage. I wonder if, as time goes by, that this book would change in tone as she finds healing..not forgetting, but that his suicide did not define her son and that the greater result of his life was the organ donation. Sounds so very tragic for all involved. I cannot even comprehend what a mother feels, thinks, ect, when faced with this. It sounds like a story that will stick with you for awhile. Good job on the details and the highlights of this one.
It is tragic. The whole situation is absolutely heartbreaking, and I think you're right - the tone might change over time. It is still so raw, so new. I hope that the author found some catharsis in writing it.
Thanks so much for the comments and for taking the time :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

crediblereading2 wrote: 26 May 2018, 12:19 Wow! Just reading your review of this book makes me so sad. Although it is so tragic that Bobby committed suicide, it is still good that his organs were used to save lives. Great review.
Absolutely. It is sad, but at least some good came out of it at the end.
Thanks so much for the comment!

JJNP wrote: 26 May 2018, 10:28 Thanks for the review, I hoped that this book would be helpful for me, but I understand it isn't a straightforward story about suicide, as your review has said, so I am not sure if I will read it.
It is quite a quick read, so if you change your mind - let me know your thoughts :)
Thanks for commenting!
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

gen_g wrote: 27 May 2018, 01:02 Thank you for the detailed review! The story seems very inspiring, and it is touching that the author saw fit to share her experiences with the reader - and I hope that through writing, she can hopefully start to move forward.
Yes, I hope so too. It must be such a difficult thing to write about, and kudos to her for sharing her story!
Thanks so much for the comments :)

Sarah Tariq wrote: 27 May 2018, 00:56 So the whole story is connected with the author in one way or the other. It's quite a sad story. But the donation of an organ by a teenage boy is inspiring. Thanks for your well structured review.
It was inspiring, and I hope it inspires people to become organ donors.
Thanks so much for commenting :)
- Dr. Seuss
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

Ever_Reading wrote: 26 May 2018, 13:18 A schoolmate of mine recently committed suicide, so this book would be a hard one for me to read. And given your thoughts on it, I think I'll steer clear of it. Thank you for your review.
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Suicide is such a tough one to handle. I agree, I would steer clear too - especially while it's still raw.
Thanks for taking the time and commenting.
And I love your avatar - Nick is the best!
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 27 May 2018, 11:37
gen_g wrote: 27 May 2018, 01:02 Thank you for the detailed review! The story seems very inspiring, and it is touching that the author saw fit to share her experiences with the reader - and I hope that through writing, she can hopefully start to move forward.
Yes, I hope so too. It must be such a difficult thing to write about, and kudos to her for sharing her story!
Thanks so much for the comments :)

Sarah Tariq wrote: 27 May 2018, 00:56 So the whole story is connected with the author in one way or the other. It's quite a sad story. But the donation of an organ by a teenage boy is inspiring. Thanks for your well structured review.
It was inspiring, and I hope it inspires people to become organ donors.
Thanks so much for commenting :)
Indeed! I do admire her courage for sharing this painful story, as I personally do not possess bravery of this magnitude. Hopefully, she is in a better psychological state now. Non-fiction stories like these always touch me somehow.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I don't think I could bring myself to read a book about such a painful actual event. I can't imagine outliving my child, especially if I lost one of them to suicide. I read your review because I was curious what about the book would have resulting in a low rating. Having read the review, I completely understand. The hostility toward the ex-girlfriend would have really made me squirm, although I suppose the mother is just being honest. The "countless," glaring errors you described would be highly distracting. Thank you for the thorough review.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I understand what you mean about wanting a better connection to the family that lost their loved one to suicide. I'm guessing this book was probably somewhat therapeutic to Mom, and you are probably spot-on feeling like she blames Sarah at least in part. She just wants a place to focus all her hurt and anger for something so tragic. Amidst all the pain, five lives were saved and that's a good thing to focus on. Thanks for a wonderful review.
Bianka Walter
Currently Reading:

Post by Bianka Walter »

SamSim wrote: 27 May 2018, 16:28 I don't think I could bring myself to read a book about such a painful actual event. I can't imagine outliving my child, especially if I lost one of them to suicide. I read your review because I was curious what about the book would have resulting in a low rating. Having read the review, I completely understand. The hostility toward the ex-girlfriend would have really made me squirm, although I suppose the mother is just being honest. The "countless," glaring errors you described would be highly distracting. Thank you for the thorough review.
I also understand needing to place blame after something so horrific. But yes, being a true story I suppose honesty is important. And squirm is a PERFECT word for how I felt!
Thanks so much for your comments :)
- Dr. Seuss

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”