Official Review: The Greenhouse Effect by Tony Manera

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: The Greenhouse Effect by Tony Manera

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Greenhouse Effect" by Tony Manera.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Greenhouse Effect by Tony Manera is an incredibly informative book that seeks to educate the reader on activities revolving around growing a greenhouse or sunroom. In total, Tony Manera discusses eight lessons that he learned while planting and growing plants in his greenhouse, in Ottawa, Canada. In the second part of the book, the author continues to relate his experience in constructing a sunroom and offers insightful advice that will guide any reader interested in the topic.

For many, gardening is a therapeutic hobby that helps them interact and be in one with nature. There is something special about being able to cultivate the vegetables or fruits you need. The added nutrition is also an added plus and so is the delicious taste that results from using fresh produce in cooking. For Tony Manera, it has been a journey spanning over a decade. In one of the lessons, he shares how his loquat plant failed to fit in his greenhouse. He decided to raise the greenhouse which was quite a risky affair. Sadly, he finally opted to remove the plant and destroy it. In this case, I learned the importance of considering the height of the plants that I plan to plant in a greenhouse to prevent facing similar challenges.

I really loved the images in The Greenhouse Effect. I firmly believe that a book about gardening without images is just half-baked. The best part of the photos was their clarity and the beautiful colors they exuded. The mix of different shades was exhilarating. At one point, the image containing the outstanding yellow color of the Black-Eyed Susan flower is followed by a beautiful array of ground cover from the Phlox.

The information provided by the author is told with unmatched clarity. There are hardly any formatting errors. The book also makes for a quick read given its clear structure and brevity in length. This is quite appealing for those of us who do not like being bogged down by unnecessary information or having to dive and swim through too many details to get to the main points.

Despite its size, I was surprised by the completeness of the information contained. Tony Manera does a great job of pinpointing the important points and including the very necessary details such as giving specific temperature ranges, including important tools and devices that are important when constructing a greenhouse or sunroom.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Green House Effect. Tony Manera’s advice will definitely come in handy when I start a similar project. I rate the book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Greenhouse Effect
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I nevera looked at gardening with such admiring eyes. You described it like a noble activity and it really made me glad that there are books about it that are captivating. Great review!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This sounds like a wonderful resource for those who plan to start a greenhouse! That particular project is probably not in my future, so I probably won't be reading this book. I appreciate your review, though!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I thought this was going to be about global warming. Oops. I'm glad you enjoyed the gardening advice.
dtb
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dtb.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dtb »

We are thinking about adding a sunroom to our house so this is of interest to me.

Thanks for a great review.
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

I don't have a greenhouse and I don't really have any aspirations to acquire or build one - but, if did, it sounds as though this book could be really helpful. I entirely agree about the illustrations; that's a bit of an issue with my current book.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I live in a state where a greenhouse would be a great asset in the winter months. I love to garden, and to have a place set aside just for that purpose would be wonderful. It sounds like the author did a great job making this one reader friendly. Nothing is more frustrating than to want to get going on a project only to be slowed down by a cumbersome long explanation. This sounds like a handy guide.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”