Official Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight [March 2019 Book of the Month]

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Re: Official Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by tarafarah7 »

Thank you for your helpful and thorough review of today's BOTD. I like that you mentioned everyone, regardless of their own beliefs and experiences, can find something in this book that may guide them to make improvements in their own daily lives. For example, I know I need to be healthier, and this might be something that will encourage me to do so. Who knows what else I may pick up along the way. Thank you, again, and congratulations to the author! :-)
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review it seems like a humorous, spiritual and inspirational story. I found the experience that the author has of living in a tribe in the Amazon and learning martial arts in Japan very fascinating. I think that I will pass on reading the book because I don't like the genre, self-help books or spiritual/religious stories.
LadyZoeO24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyzoeo24.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by LadyZoeO24 »

I love how you reviewed this book. I feel you pointed out all the benefits that you can get by reading this book. The information given is enough of a teaser to draw me in and make me want to read it. Thank you!
Miss_BeckyG
Currently Reading: Behind Broken Glass Walls
Bookshelf Size: 1129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-beckyg.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Miss_BeckyG »

An engaging, humorous, and inspirational spiritual self help book. The author uses his life's experiences to share spiritual lessons. I love that the book is relatable and easy to read.
“ Ego says, "Once everything falls into place, I'll feel peace." Spirit says "Find your peace, and then everything will fall into place." ”
Marianne Williamson
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Interesting! Our differences in spiritual beliefs is a part of what we are now. Books like these are to be read with an open mind. Although I might not agree to all the things that the author says, I could probably understand some of his points. I added it to my to-read list. Thank you for your review!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

I am not into reading self-help books. This book I believe would work for those who enjoy reading them. I do have an open mind and like hearing about other people’s experiences. It seems as though this book has some humor so that did catch my attention there. I will put this on my books to read list.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That is impressive that there is only one grammar error. I like that the book is full of anecdotes. I think that helps keep readers interest in books. Great review!
:tiphat:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It is quite clear from the introduction that the author does not believe in God. He talks of the unnameable which he calls "Isness." While I am a firm believer in the reality of a God, I did decide to read on to the next chapters which, to my surprise, I found enjoyable.

I think there are lessons to be learned from the author even if I disagree with some of his views.

Thanks for the review, Kislany! Where art thou? We miss you here.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

A nice book that walks us through the author Richard's spiritual journey right from his childhood itself, when in his dream he saw Jesus telling him to find the bones which is the core of the spiritual knowledge. Nice to see that the author gives some important spiritual knowledge while taking us along his spiritual journey.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

kislany wrote: 23 May 2018, 02:21 So the book might ruffle a few feathers. Yet, there is something for everyone in it. You don’t have to agree with all its points to take the lessons you need to apply to your own life.

For example, I rather subscribe to Michael Newton’s theories about the afterlife, however, I was so intrigued by the author’s meditation technique that I decided to research it more in-depth so I can start practicing it at home. Also, I can’t see myself dancing wildly at home to banish negativity, but I am already eating cleaner foods by avoiding sugar and eating a balanced diet devoid of hydrogenated fats.

Overall, while I don’t agree fully with every single point the author makes in the book, there is enough for me to ponder on for a long time. There are many lessons that are worth implementing.
I really applaud your attitude towards this book. People often take a defensive stand in matters of spirituality and I commend your open-minded disposition. Of course, you don't have to agree with everything the book says but I'm glad you were able to take something positive out of it.
I'll try to keep the same attitude when I read it and hopefully, it will add something beneficial to my life too.
A great, critical review, in the best sense of the word. Thanks.
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Great review! Very detailed. The author sounds like he has had a very interesting life. I'd like to know more about this dream. Thank you for the review!
:techie-studyingbrown:
rusyalana
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 156

Post by rusyalana »

Inspirational books are not my cup of tea. But I read the review and the book does sound interesting and unusual and may attract people who read such books. I liked that the things described in the book are not a straight-up Christian religion but a combination of various religions. The author took the best of every teaching and applied it to himself such as Observation Meditation, Dance of Self, Shinkaido and many others. Congratulations on becoming BOTD!
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

Thank you for this super detailed review! I loved this book and felt I got a lot out of it. I found it motivating and thought-provoking. I also liked how the author gives his readers a lot of ideas on things to do in our own lives if we want to improve our spiritual and emotional health.
asere_maryanne
Currently Reading: Source
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asere-maryanne.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by asere_maryanne »

I enjoy reading books with spiritual attachments, but I am always careful not to take everything at face value, as some may be misleading. the idea of the author adding his own experiences to the book gives it some credibility.
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

This self-help book promises to take you on a quest of finding your true spiritual nature. It is not for me, since I don't read self-help books.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”