Official Review: Spiritual Real Estate by Joanne Park

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Official Review: Spiritual Real Estate by Joanne Park

Post by cpru68 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Spiritual Real Estate" by Joanne Park.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If you were to Google 'psychology greats', a host of names would appear that include Sigmund Freud, Ivan Pavlov, William James, Abraham Maslow and Carl Jung. Each has his own teaching on the human condition. Pavlov had his ringing bells and salivating dogs while Maslow introduced us to the hierarchy of needs. Carl Jung, after being a student and colleague of Freud, ventured off on his own path to uncover the hidden person that lies beneath the surface in all of us. In her book, Spiritual Real Estate, Joanne Park delves into the obscure world of what people are composed of as outlined in the work of Jung.

The author has spent a good amount of her career as a realtor visiting various properties and trying to match people with the home of their dreams. She uses this as an analogy in her book to inspire people to unearth the hidden parts of themselves that are lying dormant in the unconscious. Just like looking at an abandoned house riddled with overgrown weeds and thistles, she is asking her readers to get out the spiritual weed whipper and take some time to consider the parts of themselves they have been overlooking. With this cleanup effort, the outcome should be a more conscious and meaningful existence.

She discovered that after being introduced to the work of Carl Jung, her life took a turn for the better. She began putting into practice what he suggested and found through self-reflective exercises that she had been pushing her true self down, and she was wearing a mask, as described by Jung, that only allowed the world to see what she desired to reveal. This self-care journey led to freeing herself from a tortured, self-destructive lifestyle into self-awareness where she acknowledged her feelings and became awakened to her true self. The goal is that readers will set out on their own road toward healing and wholeness.

The book is laid out in three parts with short chapters, which I found was a nice touch as some of this material can be heavy. Because Jung has so much information from his lifetime of work, the author condensed it into one book with the hopes that people will find it more accessible versus slogging through stacks of writings. The crucial parts of his findings are highlighted such as paying attention to dreams and documenting them, what the six personality types are, and drawing mandalas to reveal psyche. I especially enjoyed the part about synchronicity where events seem to occur, or people and ideas come along right as you think about them or need them. I have been the recipient of such experiences where a person realizes that nothing happens by chance or accident.

Besides all of its good qualities, the book did have a few bumps along the way. I have a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, so when I saw that someone had taken on the arduous task of bringing some of Jung's lofty ideas down to impact the masses at a layman's level, I jumped right in. I believe that once a person is exposed to the world of psychology, especially in a formal education such as mine, it stays with him or her so that one is always on the lookout for what might be a fresh take on long ago written material. This book would be fitting for a person who is interested in exploring the field of psychology. I am not sure the average person would find themselves enthralled with this type of reading unless they are called to it. Yes, it has a redeeming quality to make people search inwardly to self-analyze, but in some places, the writing seemed like my textbooks from college and the terms were not always easy to digest. There were moments when I felt like I was preparing for an exam. The author does give some activities to partake in, but these weren't as prominent in the first part of the book which I think would have helped the material seem less dry. Where she speaks of her own personal experiences and the application of Jung's ideas, I thought those to be rewarding because I could then visualize the point she was trying to get across.

In addition to these slight faults, I found a few words that did not need capitalization. These were minor and did not distract from the context, but I made note of them for another round of proofreading. Some of the words found were high school, black, ghetto, and inner self.

After reading this, my relationship with Jung is much like a status you would find on Facebook. It's complicated. This is not easy reading due to technical vocabulary, but at the same time, the author did attempt to make it less cumbersome to introduce her audience to Jung's significant psychological work. I give this book a 3 out of 4 rating.

Spiritual Real Estate
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cpru68's review? Post a comment saying so!
Everything happens for a reason...
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for a really interesting review. I've always liked the sound of some of Jung's key ideas, but I've never studied him in depth. This one's gone on the 'want to read' list.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is an awesome review. I love the fact that you have a psychology degree, and can give educated comments about the book. I'm not sure that I would be able to have the same thoughts after reading this, knowing virually nothing about psychological insights.
Thanks so much for the review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for the comprehensive review - would you be referring to psychoanalysis in this case, especially when you mentioned the works of Jung and Freud in Park's attempt to "unearth the hidden parts"? It seems like a fascinating read, and I am putting this on my to-read list!
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

cpru68 wrote: 22 May 2018, 21:23
The author has spent a good amount of her career as a realtor visiting various properties and trying to match people with the home of their dreams. She uses this as an analogy in her book to inspire people to unearth the hidden parts of themselves that are lying dormant in the unconscious. Just like looking at an abandoned house riddled with overgrown weeds and thistles, she is asking her readers to get out the spiritual weed whipper and take some time to consider the parts of themselves they have been overlooking. With this cleanup effort, the outcome should be a more conscious and meaningful existence.
I like this analogy of real estate to the spiritual life. Very creative! I also enjoyed your enlightening review. It's great that your background allowed you to evaluate this book with more insight than the average person. Thanks for sharing!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like the author tried to bring Jung to the masses but slightly missed the target.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 May 2018, 00:53 Thanks for a really interesting review. I've always liked the sound of some of Jung's key ideas, but I've never studied him in depth. This one's gone on the 'want to read' list.
Oh, good! She really does make some good points, and if you find your interest grow more just from this book, she has a bunch of resources in the back of the book to continue you on with as well. Thanks for reading my review, and I hope you can read the book sometime.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Helen_Combe wrote: 24 May 2018, 16:33 Great review. It sounds like the author tried to bring Jung to the masses but slightly missed the target.
Her intentions are very heartfelt. Sometimes I will read a book and wonder if the author was just in it for the accolades or the money. Not with this one. I truly believe she wants people to transform themselves and their lives into a beautiful existence through Jung’s methods. So, I know she tried to take a pretty massive load of information and present it. Have to give her credit for that.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

stacie k wrote: 24 May 2018, 11:55
cpru68 wrote: 22 May 2018, 21:23
The author has spent a good amount of her career as a realtor visiting various properties and trying to match people with the home of their dreams. She uses
this as an analogy in her book to inspire people to unearth the
hidden parts of themselves that
are lying dormant in the
unconscious. Just like looking at
an abandoned house riddled with
overgrown weeds and thistles,
she is asking her readers to get
out the spiritual weed whipper
and take some time to consider
the parts of themselves they have
been overlooking. With this
cleanup effort, the outcome
should be a more conscious and
meaningful existence.

I like this analogy of real estate to the spiritual life. Very creative! I also enjoyed your enlightening review. It's great that your background allowed you to evaluate this book with more insight than the average person. Thanks for sharing!

That was the best part of the book. It helped me to “see” what the author was trying to convey in the book especially when the reading and ideas were getting a little technical. Thanks for reading my review. It was a fun one for me!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

gen_g wrote: 24 May 2018, 10:03 Thank you for the comprehensive review - would you be referring to psychoanalysis in this case, especially when you mentioned the works of Jung and Freud in Park's attempt to "unearth the hidden parts"? It seems like a fascinating read, and I am putting this on my to-read list!

Jung and Freud were very close, and as you will read in her book, he launched out on his own. His ways and methods deviated from Freud’s, so it isn’t all about psychoanalysis. I know that was Freud’s big contribution to the psychology realm. I don’t want to give too much away, but Jung took what he learned from Freud and made his own practice built around some new techniques and ideas to look below the surface of humanity. Thanks for reading and I am glad to see you will give the book a go in the future!
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 24 May 2018, 03:33 This is an awesome review. I love the fact that you have a psychology degree, and can give educated comments about the book. I'm not sure that I would be able to have the same thoughts after reading this, knowing virually nothing about psychological insights.

Thanks so much for the review!
I think the author’s intent was to put a book into the hands of people such as yourself who have not had any education in the realm of psychology and to tell her story of how it impacted her life. I think books such as this have to appeal to people in the first place, and then, the writing has to be simple enough for all to enjoy. The exercises she does in the book help too. Thanks for reading my review, and don’t count yourself out of anything! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Libs_Books wrote: 24 May 2018, 00:53 Thanks for a really interesting review. I've always liked the sound of some of Jung's key ideas, but I've never studied him in depth. This one's gone on the 'want to read' list.
I think you will find it insightful. It’s a short book but contains a lot! Thanks for reading my review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

cpru68 wrote: 25 May 2018, 09:07
gen_g wrote: 24 May 2018, 10:03 Thank you for the comprehensive review - would you be referring to psychoanalysis in this case, especially when you mentioned the works of Jung and Freud in Park's attempt to "unearth the hidden parts"? It seems like a fascinating read, and I am putting this on my to-read list!

Jung and Freud were very close, and as you will read in her book, he launched out on his own. His ways and methods deviated from Freud’s, so it isn’t all about psychoanalysis. I know that was Freud’s big contribution to the psychology realm. I don’t want to give too much away, but Jung took what he learned from Freud and made his own practice built around some new techniques and ideas to look below the surface of humanity. Thanks for reading and I am glad to see you will give the book a go in the future!
Thanks for the explanation! I definitely will, it does seem like an interesting and introspective read.
Edgeona
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edgeona.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Edgeona »

A good job done on the review, I might read the book because of that. Keep it up
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I really, really enjoyed your review. This is a book I would be extremely interested in. I'm the kind of person that has actually bought used psychology textbooks from a college bookstore for fun. The heaviness just intrigues me even further. Thanks again for an awesome review and congrats on your psychology degree!

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”