Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Re: Official Review: It's Complicated by Izzie Bebe

Post by stacie k »

CommMayo wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 10:45 Nice job with your review. Perhaps the author will seriously consider your thoughts for improvement and engage a professional editor.
Thank you for your comment!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 17:51 Even with the editing problems, this sounds interesting. I admire Izzie for taking something negative and turning it into something positive. Adoption is not easy. Thanks for sharing this one with us.
Thank you for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

inaramid wrote: 03 Jun 2018, 22:57 I've had terrible luck with memoirs in the past months, as most seem inundated with self-congratulatory (not-really-hidden) messages. That's why I'm really drawn to the honesty and candidness by which the author related her story here. Still, the editing would be a turn-off for me. I do hope the author incorporates your suggestions in a future edition. Thanks for this review!
I hope you are finding books you enjoy lately! Thank you for commenting!
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 04 Jun 2018, 02:23 It's good that she is honest about her struggles, including with faith. This makes her more relatable as you say - I'm not sure I'd want to read about someone who thinks of themself as a saint.
I agree with you! Thank you for commenting!
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

stacie k wrote: 22 May 2018, 18:29
The thing that I liked least about this story has nothing to do with the writing style, characterization, or plot. My trouble, instead, is found in Izzie’s spiritual journey. Izzie shares about her wonderful, loving father who lived his religion through service and kindness. In contrast was her broken mother who exhibited conditional love and rejection until her last days. Izzie, of course, had to find her own way spiritually. She often prayed at difficult times throughout her life (Von’s birth, her own miscarriages, her husband’s struggle with alcohol). God was confusing to her. She never came to any definitive conclusions. While this was sad and frustrating to me, as the reader, it also highlights a strength of the story: realism. The story wasn’t wrapped up in a tidy bow. It related the real struggle that a real woman lived.
I really like that you pointed this out. You were fair in your assessment stating both that it bothered you but that it was realistic. Some people WANT to believe but struggle to do so. It is very sad for the person struggling and for believers who want to see them commit to their faith. I hope that Izzie eventually finds comfort in God.
stacie k
Currently Reading:

Post by stacie k »

kfwilson6 wrote: 05 Jun 2018, 16:05
stacie k wrote: 22 May 2018, 18:29
The thing that I liked least about this story has nothing to do with the writing style, characterization, or plot. My trouble, instead, is found in Izzie’s spiritual journey. Izzie shares about her wonderful, loving father who lived his religion through service and kindness. In contrast was her broken mother who exhibited conditional love and rejection until her last days. Izzie, of course, had to find her own way spiritually. She often prayed at difficult times throughout her life (Von’s birth, her own miscarriages, her husband’s struggle with alcohol). God was confusing to her. She never came to any definitive conclusions. While this was sad and frustrating to me, as the reader, it also highlights a strength of the story: realism. The story wasn’t wrapped up in a tidy bow. It related the real struggle that a real woman lived.
I really like that you pointed this out. You were fair in your assessment stating both that it bothered you but that it was realistic. Some people WANT to believe but struggle to do so. It is very sad for the person struggling and for believers who want to see them commit to their faith. I hope that Izzie eventually finds comfort in God.
Me, too! Thanks for commenting!
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

You did great at highlighting the pros and cons of the book. I love inspiring stories and true-to-life depictions, but anything involving a tough life for kiddos is usually too heavy for me. I'm at a loss regarding the quotes without credits. I'm glad you mentioned it. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Great review. It sounds like an emotionally complex book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

nice review about the book in which the character Izzie Beebe who adopts children and brings them up smoothly yet in her old age uncertainties crop up into her life , story sounds good to read
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Nmesoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nmesoma.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Nmesoma »

I generally love books with quotes, doesn't matter if I know where they come from. As for the review I'd say it's great and the way you mentioned about the target audience, is wonderful.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”