Official Review: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in ...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Re: Official Review: The Life and Times of a Black Prince in ...

Post by revna01 »

Dolor wrote: 25 May 2018, 02:43 I would love to know more about this book but the cruelty described in your review made me back off. Thanks for the thorough review.
I wasn't expecting some of the things I read about, that's for sure. The cruelty toward children is disturbing, so I completely understand what you mean. Thanks for reading and commenting!
Nimat87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimat87.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nimat87 »

Just by reading your review, I'm curious to make my own research about this religion even before reading the book. Thanks for the detailed review.
'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. '
-Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (1926).
:eusa-think: :clap: :escribir:
Human1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Human1 »

I, like Robin, am a former member of this "order", as he calls it and for a long time have considered writing about my experiences as well. Believe me when I tell you, he has written this book with truth, clarity, and humor. It was cathartic to some degree because it validated my experiences of that cruel and bizarre cult that I spent the first eleven years of my life in. I can't say that I would be as forgiving as he's been with the founder of this group as I would flat out call her a fraud but maybe my inner child hasn't yet learned to be more compassionate. I agree with the reviewer that the author can be a bit repetitive but overall he paints a very vivid picture of what it was like to be a child in the "order". I highly recommend the book and am curious to read book 2!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

An autobiographical account of an African-American man raised in a religious order sounds interesting. A book that offers an in-depth look into life in a cult should help to understand the attraction of cults. Too bad about the repetition of points and the underlines of words, but at least the book was well edited. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
pettis-bailey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pettis-bailey.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by pettis-bailey »

I love books about true stories and events that have happened in our world. It’s a miracle that he is even alive to tell us all about it. I’m very interested in reading this book. Thanks for the review!
khandzz09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khandzz09.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by khandzz09 »

Religion's history is fascinating to read. This book shows us how religion, culture, and practices might affect a person's life. The review is well-written and very detailed, and the book deserves great appreciation. Thanks for the review
“Think before you speak. Read before you think.”
― Fran Lebowitz, The Fran Lebowitz Reader :techie-studyinggray:
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Oh, wow. This sounds like something I both want to read and never want to know about. It's a bit scary that I feel like I've seen this religion as cultures in fantasy novels that end up getting overthrown and eliminated. Obviously, that's not the case here. I'm definitely curious. Thank you for your review.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Kendra M Parker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 421
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendra-m-parker.html
Latest Review: Requiem, Changing Times by RJ Parker
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Kendra M Parker »

That is certainly a cult that I have never heard of before. It sounds like the author has presented a very fascinating look at a cult that definitely needed to be exposed. Hopefully this will provide some peace to the author and maybe even some freedom to those who have been caught in its web.
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Thank you for your review. I have never heard of Helion Temple of Ancient Divine Wisdom-Order of Melchisedec. I can't imagine a church that offers such cruelty. This book is not something I would be interested in reading.
EmeraldEyes8918
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by EmeraldEyes8918 »

Thank you for this excellent review.

The themes and traditions surrounding royalty have always been fascinating to me, such as the Romanovs of Imperial Russia and even the British Royal Family. Adding to this mix the raising of a young child in a fanatical religion certainly sounds compelling.

While it did not appeal to me at first glance, the author's style and use of compassion and humour has made me warm more towards this book, as well as his extensive background research, and I will definitely give it a read someday.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing autobiography that highlights religious fanaticism and growing up in a secluded belief system. The plot is captivating and the onlinebookclub review of the book was written masterfully. The book is free on Amazon Kindle.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Books about cults always fascinate me. I just downloaded the book and look forward to reading it. Thanks for your excellent review!
paulitfaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paulitfaa.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by paulitfaa »

Slavery and slave trade had, still has a great impact on nations and on individuals up to date.Some of the cultural and religious practices taken by the blacks to America were later on upgraded to cults and sects. All in their defense.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

I am excited about reading this book, the experiences of the people as you have described may be horrible, but it doesn't deter me, I think it's important to gain knowledge about different religions , thanks for the review
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

What an inspiring review of what sounds like a fascinating, informative and above all brave account. I have always been fascinated by cults and will definitely read this book. The author must be a very strong person and it is so important that such a story is shared. How on Earth can such child abuse be justified in the name of religion? Thank you to both author and reviewer for spreading the word.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”